Wasting Tomato Paste & Anchovies.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chef Jen beat me to the punch, lol. I would make a pizza, anchovies, garlic, tomato paste -- round up all the usual 'pizza' suspects. :) I'm not an anchovie fan, but perhaps you could use them in place of capers (salty ingredients) in a recipe.

Since there only two of us here to cook for, I usually open both ends of the tomato paste can and push out the paste. I then slice it into about 1-tablespoon slices, place the slices on a piece of plastic wrap. They freeze very well and dividing it into tablespoon amounts makes them easy to use. As for the anchovies, we don't have anything here in my area except those in a can or the paste. I always keep a tube of paste in my refrigerator and have had no trouble with it spoiling. Good luck.

Katie

I also buy the anchovies in the jars with the olive oil (I dont waste the oil either when I`ve finished, that goes in with the Feta cheese cubes)

something you Could have done would be to mash them up add to mashed potatoe and flaked Other fish (not important what sort) a few chopped chives or even spring onion, mix well and make some Fish Cakes :)

when they are cooked, you can also freeze them too! :)

Kathe, that's how I do it as well, since there are only two of us. For anchovie I buy paste or sometimes totally fudge and use W-sauce (yes, I had to regretfully inform a vegan acquaintance that W-sauce is not vegetarian fare!!). Actually, I usually just make huge batches of dishes, then freeze them in serving sizes. But sometimes it isn't practical. You'll find dibs and dabs of sauces and condiments in my freezer!

Cover anchovy fillets with olive oil and refrigerate. As for tomato paste, do the same after flattening the top of the balance of the paste in the can. The olive oil may freeze but it will thaw quickly at room temperature.

I usually buy tomato paste in the smallest available packaging to avoid this problem.

I also buy anchovies in the jar. The tubed tomato paste seems to last me a long time. Not sure why it's going bad on you so quickly. I use the tube paste for the "2-T" type recipes. I also keep a few 8oz cans of tomato paste for when I make brown stock.

One thing I always end up wasting is Avocado. I'm single, and I never eat an entire Avocado. I'll usually use 1/2 of it, treat the other half with some acid, and store in the fridge. But by the time I go to get it I've got, well, anchovy paste... :LOL:

If you buy anchovy paste in a tube, you measure out whatever you want, then screw the lid back on. I keep my tube in the cheese compartment in the fridge.

As several folks have pointed out, tomato paste freezes well. I have a couple of tiny plastic tupperware-type containers for leftovers like that.

Of course, DH just likes to dilute any leftover tomato paste down into tomato juice, give it a squirt of Tobasco sauce, and sip it while I'm cooking!

Back
Top Bottom