"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-11-2013, 01:19 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Question Water bath question?

Yesterday I made fresh baked wheat bread. Every time I make bread we eat about half a loaf and I reserve the rest for bread pudding. It's my DH's favorite. I saw on Food Network where they made a water bath for their bread pudding. They said something about it makes it more moist? My Dh loves my bread pudding, but the top of it does get a bit dry. So should I do this?

Also, Will bread pudding taste funny with the wheat? Normally I make a white bread but I felt like experimenting with wheat yesterday.

Robin
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:40 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

If the top of your bread pudding dries out, cover the pan with foil before baking.

It will taste different with whole wheat bread.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
Senior Cook

I don't have foil unfortunately and no way to go get any.

Robin
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:03 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Then you can cover the pan with a cookie sheet.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #5
Sous Chef

I agree with Andy or just go ahead and try the water bath. In your kitchen you are the boss.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:46 PM   #6
Hospitality Queen

I always do a water bath with mine. It keeps the bread pudding moist from the steam it creates. PS: I've made bread puddings with all different types of bread - just whatever I had left over ;) If you're worried about it drying out, you can also add some chopped up fruit in it (I love bananas or peaches in mine).
Old 03-12-2013, 06:39 AM   #7
Senior Cook

I saw a post, somewhere I can't remember, but it talked about using a second cake pan to insert a spring form pan into and then that into a water bath. It was supposed to stop the leaking because of the second pan being solid. Anyone every tried that? Seems it would limit the temperature reduction process of a water bath, but it would keep the oven humid. ????
Old 03-12-2013, 10:12 AM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Home Cook View Post
I saw a post, somewhere I can't remember, but it talked about using a second cake pan to insert a spring form pan into and then that into a water bath. It was supposed to stop the leaking because of the second pan being solid. Anyone every tried that? Seems it would limit the temperature reduction process of a water bath, but it would keep the oven humid. ????
Depending on the size of your springform pan, you may be able to cover the entire outside of the pan in 1 continuous sheet of plastic wrap. This will also keep water from seeping into the pan. I've done that with making cheesecakes.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:29 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

When I first saw the subject line, I thought you were talking about in the bathtub because I've only heard the technique referred to as a Bain-marie! (And maybe because I was thinking about filling up my soaker bathtub.) It took me a second to catch on. Lining the inside or wrapping the outside of the pan is an excellent suggestion.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:15 PM   #10
Head Chef

Just add a pan of water (on the side) to the oven while baking. Or take a spray bottle of water and spritz the inside of the oven with water.

Tags
water