"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2019, 01:14 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
In order to thicken the sauce you must simmer uncovered so water can evaporate. If you leave the lid on, simmering longer won’t help.
Yep, the sauce never sees a lid.

Tyler9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:13 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi, Tyler, and welcome! For that saucy sauce, do you use just the tomato products, or are you adding water? I ask because when Himself and I got married, he taught me his Mom's recipe for spaghetti meat sauce. Originally, it called for cans of tomato sauce and paste, and near equal amounts of water. It took forever to get the sauce thick enough. Over the years I've tweaked the recipe and eliminated all water. What was once a runny sauce like yours can now be thick enough to trowel on like plaster if I don't mind it carefully. Like others suggested, and I did in the past, simmer for enough time with the lid completely off until the sauce reaches your desired consistency.

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you. ~ BB King
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:42 PM   #13
Master Chef

Remember, veggie additions, such as bell peppers, and fresh onions,contain a fair amount of water..Saute these before adding to the sauce and cook them as the tomato products reduce. I use purred tomato, or crushed tomato rather than fresh tomato, as it is canned at its peak ripeness, and has no added seasonings, except salt. I add tomato paste to thicken, and if I want to get a little more involved, will make up the french mother sauce, Sauce Tomat. then add oregano, basil, thyme, garlic, and rosemary to give it the herb profile I like. The sauce should be thick into to coat a spoon.

There are two ways to serve pasta with tomato sauce, either by bringing the sauce and pasta to the table as separate items, or by combining the sauce and pasta, and baking it for a bit. Both are equally good. The latter will guarantee that your past and sauce will cling together, with no water oozing onto the plate. Even so, I prefer having the sauce spooned over the pasta on my plate, especially if it's a meat sauce, or has meatballs in it. And then there is the cheese. But that is another topic.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:47 PM   #14
Head Chef

I use Giada de Laurentiis's marinara recipe:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-2103577

In her cookbook it includes the final step of blending in a food processor, but the web version makes no mention of this. I use a good immersion blender, and the sauce is quite thick.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:47 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Thank you everybody for your input/advice so far! I don't add any water but some brands of canned whole tomatos come in a lot of liquid, so that could be adding to my time. I'm passing hour 8 of simmering now and I am finally starting to notice an improvement. Looks like patience and a few more beers is going to be my answer!
Old 06-09-2019, 03:49 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
I use Giada de Laurentiis's marinara recipe:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-2103577

In her cookbook it includes the final step of blending in a food processor, but the web version makes no mention of this. I use a good immersion blender, and the sauce is quite thick.
I'll give it a look, thanks!
Old 06-09-2019, 06:10 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler9999 View Post
I'm passing hour 8 of simmering now and I am finally starting to notice an improvement. Looks like patience and a few more beers is going to be my answer!
8 hours? Something is grossly wrong. Can you post your recipe?
Old 06-09-2019, 06:20 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Quote:
8 hours? Something is grossly wrong. Can you post your recipe?
Start with onion and garlic.
Then add canned whole tomatos (usually in 10 can batches)
Add other dry seasonings.
Add butter, a few tablespoons.
After cooking awhile I add planked whole carrots for about an hour then remove.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:52 PM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler9999 View Post
Start with onion and garlic.
Then add canned whole tomatos (usually in 10 can batches)
Add other dry seasonings.
Add butter, a few tablespoons.
After cooking awhile I add planked whole carrots for about an hour then remove.
Saute diced onions and carrots until softened to drive off the water. Break up the tomatoes before adding (your hand will work just fine) to let the water escape. After everything has thickened (should be less than 2 hours) use a good immersion blender (or a food processor or blender) to blend the works, including the carrots.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:59 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Saute diced onions and carrots until softened to drive off the water. Break up the tomatoes before adding (your hand will work just fine) to let the water escape. After everything has thickened (should be less than 2 hours) use a good immersion blender (or a food processor or blender) to blend the works, including the carrots.
I'll definitely give it a try, can part of the tomatos be reserved to not be blended? We enjoy some "chunk."

Tags
marinara, sauce, water