Water temp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hobart_m_2000

Assistant Cook
What should be the temperature of water used in the Admiral bread machine?
:ermm:

Last edited:
All of your ingredients should be at room temperature for the best results. Water temperature should be the same about 70-80 degrees F.... at the most barely warm to the touch. If the water is too warm, it will damage the yeast.

My mom bought a bread machine and it turned into one of the best machines ever. It got used most every day. I am looking for one:

does not take a lot a room
does not cost too much
works consistently

What would you recommend?

We have a Sunbeam machine that we have used for many years. It has been a good one. I am sure that a newer machine likely has more bells and whistles than this one but we have had no trouble with this Sunbeam machine. I am sure there will be somebody along soon with a more up to date recommendation.

My mom bought a bread machine and it turned into one of the best machines ever. It got used most every day. I am looking for one:

does not take a lot a room
does not cost too much
works consistently

What would you recommend?

We have a Zojirushi that we really like. It makes a horizontal loaf that's similar to shape and size of a sandwich loaf from the store. Another great feature are the dual paddles. This helps the machine do a superior job of kneading. Easy to use and clean.

What should be the temperature of water used in the Admiral bread machine?
:ermm:
Water temperature is to make the yeast grow. It has nothing to do with the machine.

This is my experience with Mom's bread machine:

1. You must get the yeast growing.

2. Salt kills yeast. keep these ingredients apart.

once you get these couple of rules, you end up with wonderful smelling loaves of fresh bread every time.

Most cookers have a way to set the bread cooking on schedule, so that you wake up to the smell of freshly baking bread and coffee.

What a nice way to start the day.

We have a Zojirushi that we really like. It makes a horizontal loaf that's similar to shape and size of a sandwich loaf from the store. Another great feature are the dual paddles. This helps the machine do a superior job of kneading. Easy to use and clean.

Is it affordable?

Is it affordable?

They run a bit higher than most...about $200. It's a quality built machine with all metal housing and a thick heavy bread pan. Honestly, it's a convenience item for when I'm busy with other things.

I would buy a Kitchen Aid stand mixer first if I had to choose between the two. I get more use out of the KA than the bread maker.

They run a lot higher than most, but I hear Zojis are truly the Cadillac of appliances (bread machines, rice cookers...)
I have this model, Z. Amazon.com: Breadman TR875 2-Pound Breadmaker, Stainless Steel: Kitchen & Dining

It works well and has a knead cycle, which I use for pizza dough sometimes. The odd shaped loaf is nothing that some creative slicing won't overcome. Being that it was my first bread machine, at the time I just couldn't justify a Zojirushi. Someday maybe.

The last two bread machines I bought came from Goodwill stores. Both cost less than $10.00, one was new, and one looked like a couple of loaves. Manuals are available on line for most. Yahoo bread forum (BML) has a good selection. For me, the ultimate recycling. Be sure you get all the parts. Paddles, for instance, are almost impossible to find.

The heck with all that. I'll just start baking bread. I did it myself back in the 1960s.

There is no way I'll spend $200 for a machine that may or may not work.

I'll just have to get used to cleaning up flour, ugh!

Last edited:
I make sure the water is warm not hot. If you can't leave your finger in it then it is too hot. You will get used to what temp works best. It may take a couple of duds, but that is the best way to learn. I have never used a bread machine. Baked bread everyday in my restaurant for over 13 years this way. Turn the heat down and use the oven to heat the kitchen.:LOL:

I make sure the water is warm not hot. If you can't leave your finger in it then it is too hot. You will get used to what temp works best. It may take a couple of duds, but that is the best way to learn. I have never used a bread machine. Baked bread everyday in my restaurant for over 13 years this way. Turn the heat down and use the oven to heat the kitchen.:LOL:

Trust me I learned on that bread machine about temperature, especially, and the fact that they won't tell you is don't get the salt anywhere near the yeast.

The answer us that it should be 110 degrees and no more than 5 degrees above that or 10 below.

Use a instant-read thermometer

And, yes, keep it away from salt

Back
Top Bottom