"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 05:27 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
There are so many different variety of granola that I have seen online, it will be hard to choose just one

We have never actually had it before

Yes, we will be sure to keep checking it whilst in the oven, burnt would be no good at all
I take rolled oats and/or wheat, buckwheat, barley), seeds (sesame, pumpkin, hemp, sunflower, whichever you like/have on hand), and chopped nuts. Mix that up in a proportion that looks yummy. You can add some wheat or oat bran, but not much. Then mix some honey or maple syrup or other sweetener about two parts to one part bland vegetable oil (or nice tasting nut oil or seed oil). Drizzle the the oil/sweetener over the dry ingredients and stir. Spread it on a baking sheet. Bake it at about 150C/300F for about 15-25 minutes. It would probably be a good idea to line the baking sheet with foil or parchment. You want it to brown, just a little bit.

If you want dry fruit in the granola, don't add it until it is out of the oven. Dry fruit burns too fast in the oven and doesn't really benefit.

The oil mixed into the honey isn't really necessary, it just makes it easier to mix it into the rest uniformly. I suppose one could it thin with water.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:34 PM   #12
Head Chef

I like making yogurt sundaes - Take a parfait glass and make several layers of plain yogurt, sliced bananas, sliced strawberries, and a touch of pure maple syrup. Delicious.

Also, I used to mash bananas and stir them into yogurt to make a banana-flavored yogurt, plus I added a little vanilla extract.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:59 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Thank you so much Taxy, copied and pasted in my recipe book, your a star!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I take rolled oats and/or wheat, buckwheat, barley), seeds (sesame, pumpkin, hemp, sunflower, whichever you like/have on hand), and chopped nuts. Mix that up in a proportion that looks yummy. You can add some wheat or oat bran, but not much. Then mix some honey or maple syrup or other sweetener about two parts to one part bland vegetable oil (or nice tasting nut oil or seed oil). Drizzle the the oil/sweetener over the dry ingredients and stir. Spread it on a baking sheet. Bake it at about 150C/300F for about 15-25 minutes. It would probably be a good idea to line the baking sheet with foil or parchment. You want it to brown, just a little bit.

If you want dry fruit in the granola, don't add it until it is out of the oven. Dry fruit burns too fast in the oven and doesn't really benefit.

The oil mixed into the honey isn't really necessary, it just makes it easier to mix it into the rest uniformly. I suppose one could it thin with water.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:00 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by merstar View Post
I like making yogurt sundaes - Take a parfait glass and make several layers of plain yogurt, sliced bananas, sliced strawberries, and a touch of pure maple syrup. Delicious.

Also, I used to mash bananas and stir them into yogurt to make a banana-flavored yogurt, plus I added a little vanilla extract.
Thank you Merstar, this sounds delicious too
Old 12-31-2012, 01:25 AM   #15
Master Chef

I love mine with a drizzle of honey and some seeds like pumpkin, sesame, sunflower and linseed. It's great with granola, vanilla or fresh chopped ripe fruit like mango, passionfruit, kiwi, papaya or melon too.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Old 12-31-2012, 03:18 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
Thank you so much Taxy, copied and pasted in my recipe book, your a star!
You are very welcome. I've been making it since the '70s. I originally got the recipe from the The Whole Earth Catalog.

Closed Thread

Tags
yogurt