Ways To Liven Up Natural Yogurt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kylie1969

Chef Extraordinaire
Hey guys,

We love flavoured yoghurt, but there is so much sugar in it that we thought of maybe having natural yoghurt instead but need some ideas of what to put in it to make it a bit sweeter, but not as sweet as the flavoured ones, or maybe some crunchy textures?

I have heard of honey being stirred through and jam...

Any ideas would be great, thanks guys!

Tzatziki! Of course you need a dish to accompany. I usually like a little moussaka to go with my tzatziki.:rolleyes:

Kylie have you tried sweetening with a non-sugar sweetener like splenda?

I like berries for sweetening too.

Yogourt Paradiso: take some canned fruit, top with some yogourt, then sprinkle granola. Of course, you could use fresh fruit or reconstituted dried fruit. Homemade yogourt is particularly good with this.

Higher butterfat yogourts tend to be less sour.

When I regularly made yogourt, I found that after several generations, my yogourt was much less sour.

Yogourt makes an interesting substitute for cream in pasta carbonara.

Thank you so much everyone, some lovely ideas there :)

Frank, that is a good idea, maybe a sweetener rather than sugar and Tom I like the sound of the granola, I have seen Jamie make that :yum:

I may make our own granola, that would be nice :)

Cheers everyone :)

Thank you so much everyone, some lovely ideas there :)

Frank, that is a good idea, maybe a sweetener rather than sugar and Tom I like the sound of the granola, I have seen Jamie make that :yum:

I may make our own granola, that would be nice :)

Cheers everyone :)
I actually meant homemade granola. It's easy and you get it just the way you want it. The only tricky part is making sure to keep an eye on it in the oven so it doesn't get burnt.

There are so many different variety of granola that I have seen online, it will be hard to choose just one :LOL:

We have never actually had it before

Yes, we will be sure to keep checking it whilst in the oven, burnt would be no good at all :LOL:

There are so many different variety of granola that I have seen online, it will be hard to choose just one :LOL:

We have never actually had it before

Yes, we will be sure to keep checking it whilst in the oven, burnt would be no good at all :LOL:
I take rolled oats and/or wheat, buckwheat, barley), seeds (sesame, pumpkin, hemp, sunflower, whichever you like/have on hand), and chopped nuts. Mix that up in a proportion that looks yummy. You can add some wheat or oat bran, but not much. Then mix some honey or maple syrup or other sweetener about two parts to one part bland vegetable oil (or nice tasting nut oil or seed oil). Drizzle the the oil/sweetener over the dry ingredients and stir. Spread it on a baking sheet. Bake it at about 150C/300F for about 15-25 minutes. It would probably be a good idea to line the baking sheet with foil or parchment. You want it to brown, just a little bit.

If you want dry fruit in the granola, don't add it until it is out of the oven. Dry fruit burns too fast in the oven and doesn't really benefit.

The oil mixed into the honey isn't really necessary, it just makes it easier to mix it into the rest uniformly. I suppose one could it thin with water.

I like making yogurt sundaes - Take a parfait glass and make several layers of plain yogurt, sliced bananas, sliced strawberries, and a touch of pure maple syrup. Delicious.

Also, I used to mash bananas and stir them into yogurt to make a banana-flavored yogurt, plus I added a little vanilla extract.

Last edited:
Thank you so much Taxy, copied and pasted in my recipe book, your a star!

I take rolled oats and/or wheat, buckwheat, barley), seeds (sesame, pumpkin, hemp, sunflower, whichever you like/have on hand), and chopped nuts. Mix that up in a proportion that looks yummy. You can add some wheat or oat bran, but not much. Then mix some honey or maple syrup or other sweetener about two parts to one part bland vegetable oil (or nice tasting nut oil or seed oil). Drizzle the the oil/sweetener over the dry ingredients and stir. Spread it on a baking sheet. Bake it at about 150C/300F for about 15-25 minutes. It would probably be a good idea to line the baking sheet with foil or parchment. You want it to brown, just a little bit.

If you want dry fruit in the granola, don't add it until it is out of the oven. Dry fruit burns too fast in the oven and doesn't really benefit.

The oil mixed into the honey isn't really necessary, it just makes it easier to mix it into the rest uniformly. I suppose one could it thin with water.

I like making yogurt sundaes - Take a parfait glass and make several layers of plain yogurt, sliced bananas, sliced strawberries, and a touch of pure maple syrup. Delicious.

Also, I used to mash bananas and stir them into yogurt to make a banana-flavored yogurt, plus I added a little vanilla extract.

Thank you Merstar, this sounds delicious too :yum:

I love mine with a drizzle of honey and some seeds like pumpkin, sesame, sunflower and linseed. It's great with granola, vanilla or fresh chopped ripe fruit like mango, passionfruit, kiwi, papaya or melon too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom