Ways to prevent sticking when baking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When baking large numbers of things, like when I do the cookies, I line the pans with parchment sheets - made for full sized or half sized sheets, to make it easy. The parchment can be re-used several times, as long as what you are baking has the same spices, or has no spices, like the previous batches. I've found that after about 4 times it starts sticking slightly, so I flip the paper, and it stays OK for about 3 more batches, then I toss it. I rarely bake that much any more, so it lasts for however many I bake. And here's a tip: if you are going to buy parchment, get it in flat batches, not rolls. It is not easy to get it to lay flat from a roll!:mad:

If just making one batch of things, I'll use a silicone sheet, or the NS foil, if it is something that sticks really bad, like some macaroons that I love to make. For my bread pans, I just spray with a flavorless spray - usually, no problem with sticking. For brownies, and similar things, I like ATK's method of using some foil laid in one direction in the pan, then again in the other direction, and I spray those.

"I like ATK's method of using some foil laid in one direction in the pan, then again in the other direction, and I spray those."

can you explain what you mean foil laid in one direction then in another direction? I don't get what you mean by that. Is that different than just putting foil in the whole pan?

Andy, if you are cooking something where you've tossed it in a fair amount of oil already (like roasted veggies), do you need non-stick spray or would it be redundant at that point. I'm just wondering if you put it on as a default or it depends on what you are making.

"I like ATK's method of using some foil laid in one direction in the pan, then again in the other direction, and I spray those."

can you explain what you mean foil laid in one direction then in another direction? I don't get what you mean by that. Is that different than just putting foil in the whole pan?
You just cut the foil to the width, or two widths of the pan, and put one in, then the other. There are two layers in the bottom, but the sides have just one, neat layer each. You could just put the foil in, and jam it into the corners, but it doesn't work as well.

Last edited:
...can you explain what you mean foil laid in one direction then in another direction? I don't get what you mean by that. Is that different than just putting foil in the whole pan?
You basically make a sling for the pan that you will then use to lift the fully baked item out of the pan.

images

You can also make if from parchment paper.

images

BTW, welcome to DC Learning2Cook!

Those are better than the pictures I just took, CG! I just went down and put the foil in my pan, for the brownies in the morning (even looked to see if the chocolate and butter were melted in the oven, but no...otherwise I would have been up another 90 min or so baking!:ohmy:), and this was posted when I checked.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom