"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-27-2013, 12:01 AM   #1
Wine Guy

Weevils!! Aggh!

My wife called me in a panic at work today because she found weevils in the pantry. This was a little surprising because we're actually pretty careful about keeping everything clean and in airtight containers, and in the 15 years we've lived in our current house we hadn't seen a single bug in any of the food storage areas.

I know these critters are often found in grain products that you bring into the house. But now I'm wondering about things like pasta and breakfast cereal, which I normally just store in the cardboard boxes they come in. I guess it makes sense since those items are also grain based.

I just hate throwing out food.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:09 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I think I have most often gotten weevils from corn starch. There always seems to be some in the box and not in the bag. I put clips on stuff like cereal and crackers on the bags inside the boxes. They go on the bags that my pasta comes in and lots of other bags, even flour. I haven't had weevils in years. I hate getting those suckers. These clips make a pretty airtight seal. I buy a bag of 20 of them at Dollarama.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	food clip.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	19917  

Old 11-27-2013, 03:29 AM   #3
Master Chef

Man, look at the schnozz on that guy! Fortunately, we've never had weevils. However, a bag of birdseed went unnoticed by us one year, tucked under the landing for the steps in the garage (our house is 1/2 level higher than the garage floor so we have space-eating steps and a large platform taking up valuable garage space ). We started to get scads of tiny moths in the house - in the food, in the clothing. Took two years, but we haven't seen a month in months and months. Good luck getting rid of the new tenants Steve.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:31 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Living in the country I had terrible problems with weevils and moths. Years ago I read to put bay leaves in with the product to keep things bug free. I have not had a problem since I started doing that. I also store grains and flours in the freezer. When they are opened I toss in three bay leaves on top, close with clips and store in the pantry. I hate bugs so much that I toss bay leaves in my kitchen drawers and each shelf. Good luck.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:48 AM   #5
Admiral of the Texas Navy

This means WAR. I had an infestation of these nasty little bugs when I lived in Memphis, TN. Poison is no good since we are talking food storage areas.

I had to starve them out but finally won after a few months of diligence.

• Put some cedar on every shelf in the pantry (they don't like it).
  • Isolate every food item by using either a vacuum sealer, ziplock bags, or high quality canisters.
  • Throw away and food product you know to be infested and purchase new. If you know what store it came from take it back and let them know they are selling contaminated food.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:00 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Wasn't it Moby Dick where the sailors talked about eating weevils?
I don't think they'll hurt you

I think if they only live in the food and that's where they lay their eggs, throwing the infested food out should do the trick. I got rid of some grain beetles in dog food that way before. I looked for the bags with tiny holes in them where they ate their way in.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #7
Wine Guy

Surprisingly, I'm not all that repulsed by the idea of eating a few bugs.

Now my wife, on the other hand....

We cleaned and cleaned last night. Every shelf came out of the pantry and was wiped down with a detergent solution. We threw out a lot of old stuff (even my prized Arborio and Bomba rices... *sniff* ). We then carefully inspected everything that went back in. It all looked good.

Then this morning I opened the cabinet and found another one of those long-nosed varmints front and center on the shelf. It was hard to tell because of his size, but I would've swore he was laughing at me.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:39 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

No weevil risotto at Steve's house.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:51 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

We get centipedes in the spring. Specially if you hang your clothes outside. They just love clean laundry.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:27 AM   #10
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Then this morning I opened the cabinet and found another one of those long-nosed varmints front and center on the shelf. It was hard to tell because of his size, but I would've swore he was laughing at me.
Was he the lesser of the two....