"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-07-2012, 11:40 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I too have never had a problem with Weevils, possibly because I live in a dry climate.

Knowing about the freezing trick sure would have helped some time ago as I brought back a large and expensive container of dried Porchini mushrooms from Italy that evidently hatched the nasty little eggs and infested the container with Weevils........I could hear them speaking Italian and snickering as they chomped away at my precious mushrooms.
Don't feel too bad. Maryanne Esposito bought a large box of mushrooms that she was going to use later in the day for a cooking class when she was in Italy. That afternoon when she opened her trunk, all she had left was a very large family of weevils. So if it can happend to the pros, it can happen to the best of us. BTW, for those that don't know. Maryanne is a TV chef who cooks Italian dishes on TV. Has been on for years.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

The freezer trick didn't work for me - but then i didn't try as long as 4 days! In the end, when i took out some rice i tried to freeze condensation formed on it, which then led to it developing some sort of fungus / mildew. Had to through the whole 2Kg out!

On the other hand, roasting the little buggers has never failed me.

But if freezing works for you, please don't feel I'm trying to change your mind.. I'm just giving people another option who have tried everything else without success.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:34 AM   #13
Head Chef

Your climate (or your bugs!) may be different than ours. I freeze in the original wrappers--paper for flour, plastic bags or containers for rice/beans/etc, and have never had trouble with condensation inside the containers.

Whatever works is good!! (Down with bugs!!)