Wegmans - Tell Me About It

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
I've heard about Wegmans over the years but didn't pay too much attention as there were no stores in the region. Wegmans has been opening stores in MA and is planning even more, closer to me. Now I'm curious.

If you know this store, tell me what you think. What's it like?

I wish there was one by me! That's what I'll tell you! lol

Wegmans is THE store in my area if you want to find anything. They were the only store to carry steel cut oats for that sausage I made a few weeks ago. At any one time you can find all those potatoes that regular grocery stores (around me) don't carry; fingerling, purple, baby golds... too many to remember and some I never heard of. And their produce is fresh, fresh, fresh. Plus they offer many fresh items in bulk. All kinds of lesser used meats like skirt steak and flank steak... I love Wegmans. I live in a grocery deprived area though ;^) And of course they run sales with their shoppers card and carry a quality product with their store brand. Did I mention their bakery department? And they've got these nifty little half size shopping carts...

I shop at Wegman's and it is sort of a cult in New York state. They have taken the store branded foods and created the illusion that they are premium brands through very good marketing programs. They also tend not to put things on sale. They target a group of items and keep the price on those down for an extended period of time. I like most things about Wegman's except for the fact that as they develop new house brands they drop the products of other manufacturers so selection becomes more limited. Overall it is a great store. Check out the Wegman's website.

Wegmans is to foodies what the Vatican is to Catholics. It's just the One.
You can find anything practically you want at Weg. The quality of everything is excellent, and they buy locally. If you like Organics, they are the place. I think people believe they are more expensive, but I do my own research, and they are not. The problem is that they have everything!!

I love Weg. They are just the best. I have shopped across America, and their prices and quality are the best. Getting ready to cook a Prime quality Prime Rib this Christmas. I love the Weg.

extensive meat fish cheese aisles, good bakery, in some states wines etc, many fine prepared foods. Produce not as good as Whole Foods. Still, a fine store. Enjoy!

I have been to the one in Northboro twice Andy. It is just about 15 minutes from my house. I went on opening day (not sure what I was thinking) and a second time a few weeks ago. The last time I went was a weekday and it was just as busy as opening day. Because of the crowds I really did not have an opportunity to explore the way I wanted to. I was with 2 kids both time too.

My impression is that it is a great place to go for prepared foods. They have a lot and the choices cover all the bases. They also have a lot of eat there places. My kids and I got some Margarita sandwiches that were delicious.

They have a decent cheese section. It is the best supermarket cheese section I have ever seen. The deli is awesome. They have a whole meat counter that you can get anything you want. I was not willing to wait in line to buy anything there though.

The supermarket part is nice but nothing special. If you have been in Roache Brothers then you will have an idea what this section is like. I found the isles to be too close together though so it can be difficult to navigate through. Then they have a warehouse section for things like bulk paper goods and diapers and that sort of stuff. They also have a wine and beer warehouse section with very good prices and a very decent selection.

They also have a smallish section for pots and pans and things like slow cookers and that sort of thing.

Until the crowds die down, and who knows when that will be, I will not be going back. Right now it is just way too busy.

Is the new one opening in Burlington? Do you know where it is going to be?

...Is the new one opening in Burlington? Do you know where it is going to be?

Not sure when the Burlington one is opening but it's in the vicinity of the Mall on Third Ave off Middlesex Turnpike. It's supposed to be the biggest one in this area.

I'm looking forward to seeing one. Not sure if I'd drive to Northborough to see it though.

When I was in college in western NY back in the early 80's we had a Wegmans just outside the town. Wegmans was actually a local chain back then that started in western NYS, either Buffalo or Rochester, I don't remember which.

Anyway, the store was located in a shopping center with an Ames department store and was really just your average grocery store, nothing fancy, nothing special. Well, except they did sell hot dogs with the skin on.

I have not been in one since 1985 but I am just amazed at how the chain re-branded itself over the years to become this store with a cult-type following.

Not sure when the Burlington one is opening but it's in the vicinity of the Mall on Third Ave off Middlesex Turnpike. It's supposed to be the biggest one in this area.

I'm looking forward to seeing one. Not sure if I'd drive to Northborough to see it though.

Is that by the H-Mart? On the other side of 128 from the mall?

They are planning a much smaller Wegmans in Newton but don't think it's going to open any time soon. And the one in Westwood may never happen.

Is that by the H-Mart? On the other side of 128 from the mall?

They are planning a much smaller Wegmans in Newton but don't think it's going to open any time soon. And the one in Westwood may never happen.

It's on the same road as H Mart - Middlesex Turnpike. It's going to be on the other side of that road. As you travel down Middlesex Turnpike with H Mart on your right, next you pass the Mall on the right then you cross Burlington Mall Road. Third Ave is on the left. That area is an industrial park.

I actually enjoy H-Mart more than Wegmans.

It's beginning to sound like Wegman's is similar to Whole Foods.

GB, I really enjoy H Mart too. I get overwhelmed by the kimchee area. So many choices I don't know which to buy.

It is similar the Whole Foods, but without the focus on "whole foods" if that makes any sense.

I got some pickled bamboo shoots at H-Mart that are out of this world. Next time you are there take a look for them. You wont be sorry.

I grew up with a wegmans in my town. It is a great place to go when you are looking for natural ingredients. They pretty much brought organics to our town in supermarkets. All that aside, the wegmans in my hometown is mostly a zoo. They constantly have buses that are there in the lunch section and it makes regular shopping very difficult. They also got a liquor license and now the cafe is a bit of a boozefest.

They have quite a large inventory, but it does change pretty regularly as they phase in their own brand of products. Sometimes you can buy something a few times only to find they aren't carrying it anymore and are carrying their own version instead.

When I moved, I really missed our wegmans. Mostly because I didn't realize that produce wasn't fresh all over. They have some great breads, and cheeses as well. They are more expensive than the other grocery stores in the area, but aside from price I don't find them much different than a Giant though.

I prefer Giant, they have a good amount of natural and organic foods with good prices. They also have a great inventory of goods as well. They don't have buses that come for lunch, and it isn't quite as much of a zoo. I still shop at wegmans for hard to find, and things that I like that are just found there.

I think you will like it.

Thank you all for responding with your opinions. I look forward to visiting one of the new Wegmans in my area.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom