Weights and Measure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
:( As I’ve mention many times before, I have real hard times with Standard measure system. And it wouldn’t be so bad if I had to fallow just a simple recipe, but most of the time, I have to either multiply or divide and that is where the real problem starts. I have no patients for that. Spoons of all calibers, cups, fluid ounces and dry ounces, ahhhhhhhhhhh.

I’m going crazy here, help me out please.

Below are 2 recipes, I need to multiply the first one by 20 and the second one by 10. Please help.

1. Deep Frying Batter

¼ cup cornstarch
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons sugar
¼ teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons water
1 egg, beaten

2. Stir Fry Sauce

¼ cup soy sauce
½ cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons sugar

I'll try the second recipe

2 1/2 cups soy sauce
5 cups chicken broth
1 1/4 cup water
1 1/4 cup cornstarch
1 1/4 cup sugar.

I hope this was not a trick question

CharlieD said:

1. Deep Frying Batter

5 cup cornstarch
2.5 C flour
2.5 C sugar
5 teaspoon baking soda
3.75 C water
20 egg, beaten

This is a accurate arithmetic extension of the recipe but I can;t guarantee it will work with these exact proportions in reality.

2. Stir Fry Sauce

2.5 cup soy sauce
5 cup chicken broth
1.25C water
1.25C cornstarch
1.25C tablespoons sugar

Here you go, Charlie. Good luck

CharlieD said:
Below are 2 recipes, I need to multiply the first one by 20 and the second one by 10. Please help.

1. Deep Frying Batter

¼ cup cornstarch - 5 cups
2 tablespoons flour - 40 tbsps
2 tablespoons sugar - 40 tbsps
¼ teaspoon baking soda - 5 tsps
3 tablespoons water - 60 tbsps
1 egg, beaten - 20 eggs

2. Stir Fry Sauce

¼ cup soy sauce - 2-1/2 cups
½ cup chicken broth - 5 cups
2 tablespoons water - 20 tbsps
2 tablespoons cornstarch - 20 tbsps
2 tablespoons sugar - 20 tbsps

Please note that if it is too tiresome to count 20 tbsps (let alone 40 of them) of anything, let us hope that Andy will come to the rescue by converting all these tbsps to their cup (or fractions thereof) equivalents.;)

Assuiming you have a PC running windows, select Start>All Programs>Accessories>Calculator.

Give a man a fish, ...

I can joke about this subject for very short time it is just too painful for me.
I've been advocating move toward metric all alone. Something that is simple, easy to learn as 1 2 3, and the rest of the world (the only time when it is a good thing coming from the rest of the world) uses it. Even British, that came up with the darn system, are moving away from it.
So, thank you for the idea, but I do not like fishing, I like cooking.

CharlieD said:
I can joke about this subject for very short time it is just too painful for me.
I've been advocating move toward metric all alone. Something that is simple, easy to learn as 1 2 3, and the rest of the world (the only time when it is a good thing coming from the rest of the world) uses it. Even British, that came up with the darn system, are moving away from it.
So, thank you for the idea, but I do not like fishing, I like cooking.
It's a question of practice, Charlie - like everything else. There comes a stage in your "cooking" lifetime when you know the ingredients are flour, water, cornstarch, salt , and maybe an egg... and you just whack them all in there, mix them together and know the results will be fine.
Practise, practise, practise!

Hey Charlie - give this a try. I use Allrecipes.com to search for recipes often and when I find one, it lets me reconfigure amounts for whatever quantity I need. It also lets you change from standard to metric measurements. You can sign up there and enter recipes for your own personal use in your private recipe file by going to this link. All recipes – complete resource for recipes and cooking tips

After you sign up and become a member, you can put your own recipes in and then resize them to the quantities you need, and change to metric at the same time! It works very easy and well; good luck!

Last edited:
CharlieD said:
I do not like practice either. In metric you do not have to practice.

LOL - yeah Charlie - but you stilll have to measure and if you want to increase a recipe - you have to do a little calculating! :rolleyes:

Again it is not so easy to multiply 1/2 of tspoon, or 3/4 of a cup, or 4 table spoons incomparacing to gramms or kilogramms. It is only a number multiplied by 10, doesn't get any easier than that. My point is simplisity of matric mesuring.

Back
Top Bottom