Weird food combinations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nancy Jane

Washing Up
So tonight I made a sausage dinner for my BF. He put grape jelly on his bread then a sausage. I know I was looking at him funny. He also dips radishes in sugar before eating them. Now I'm thinking there are some eating traditions passed on by families that are peculiar. Anybody got one to share?

My dad would sometimes tossed stuff together, usually my mom cooked. He would put simple stuff together, often in a sandwich, that he thought tasted good. As a kid I learned from him, I adored my dad, still do his memory. And he sure came up with some good combos, but a lot of them were what, I guess, most folks would think were odd.

Cannot come up with recipes because the stuff was done off the cuff, from what we had in the fridge and pantry.

Actually, with thanks to your BF, a sausage - not an Italian one - with jelly does not sound all that strange to me. I would probably have used some 'maple' syrup instead, just my preference.

A favorite sandwich, which I have adapted from childhood memories, is toast, peanut butter mixed with Worcestershire sauce, and onions. I no longer butter the toast, but it adds a dimension.

Always have canned anchovies and sardines on hand.

I don't know is that is odd, but it is the way I am.

My son enjoys pickles and feta cheese sandwiches which is a little bizarre for me. And what makes it even more bizarre, is that he has been eating them since he has been 2 years old. It amazed me that a little kid would enjoy something like this. And go figure, he hates chocolate ???

Also, my friend and I from Brazil often exchange foods from our country. So one time I sent her raspberry jelly. Before asking me what to do with it, she dumped it on her salad as salad dressing. And now, requests it from me everytime I send her something.

Some terrific combos..

Peanut Butter and pickle relish sandwich(or any type of pickle).

Grilled Peanut Butter and Jelly (after cooking a tiny bit of pickle relish is good, but not necessary).

Mix Peanut butter with Miracle whip, spread on Bananas..

Radish sandwiches. Butter Salt, radishes on any type of bread.

Ketchup with grilled cheese, dill pickle on the side.

Sugar on Cottage Cheese.(good way to get kids to eat cottage cheese)

Cold Ham and Bean Sandwich. Spread cold ham and beans on bread with butter.

Soy sauce on popcorn

Hot Sauce on oranges

Fries dipped in vanilla shakes.

One of my favorite sammys: spanish olives and cream cheese on wheat bread.

You are all incredible! I must try the olive cream cheese sandwich! See, this is thinking out of the box and admitting our little naughty culinary secrets. Isn't it fun? Mine is peanut butter, colby cheese and ketchup on whole wheat bread. A mindboggling sandwich! Maybe that's what happened to my mind.:LOL:

Oh.. forgot a couple...
This is served in a sandwich shop in Northern Indiana.

Cashew and olive sandwich.

Not 100% sure on the recipe, but this is close.
Cashews halves, sliced GREEN olives, Mayonaise, black pepper, garlic. Mix up and spread on bread then grill...

Surprisingly tasty, but salty!!

Peanut butter on toast, top with maple syrup.. one of the greatest breakfasts there is..

Fries dipped in milkshakes
Fries and mustard
Scrambled eggs with ketchup
Mac and cheese with applesauce
Green Beans with steak sauce

have a pal who adores fresh squishy white bread, mayo, pile it with crushed potato chips then on go the sliced pepperoncini..Hog heaven to her. Me I love potato chips and good chocolate together..
kadesma

When I was a kid, cream cheese and olive sandwiches were fairly common in Eastern Massachusetts.

You're kidding?

If I ever order it from a deli around here they make gagging sounds. I'm like "Don't knock it until you try it." :LOL:

have a pal who adores fresh squishy white bread, mayo, pile it with crushed potato chips then on go the sliced pepperoncini..Hog heaven to her. Me I love potato chips and good chocolate together..
kadesma

Similar flavor to chocolate dipped pretzels.. Salt and chocolate are made for each other.

Hmmmm? Lemme see.

I like crushed potato chips on vanilla ice cream.

Plain M&Ms dropped into my beer.

Strawberry jam on my scrambled eggs. Turns 'em purple, too.

Pasty white bread smeared with Miracle Whip "sandwiches." Became a favorite of mine as a child during Lent when "meat" sandwiches weren't allowed. Had quite a few of the Miracle Whip ones after school.

Applesauce sandwiches. Lots of applesauce and cinnamon between two slices of bread.

Cherry Jell-O sandwiches. White bread and cherry Jell-O.

Yep. I'm weird.

Buck's younger brother used to make peanut butter, mayonnaise and honey sandwiches.:wacko:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom