Weird foods from your childhood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"The Hobo Egg"

Grab a slice of bread, fold it in half, and take a bit from the middle. When you unfold it, you will have a hole. Butter each side, and place in a fry-pan over medium heat. Flip when the first side is toasted, and crack an egg in the hole. As soon as it sets, flip the bread/egg to re-crisp the other side and finish the egg over easy. Serve over a sausage patty.

Okay but htat means that I can't mention how easy the stuff is to make from powdered milk. No can opening.

Go right ahead! There are others who may benefit!:angel:

You know you want to. It's calling you ever-so sweetly. That condensed Siren's call to dip your spoon into delicious, sticky, milky goodness.

"Princess, oh Princess... Won't you try just a little, for old time's sake?"

Just stating fact here k :innocent:

I'll just staple the can to my hips...:ROFLMAO: Nope, no...I AM a Princess and made of sterner stuff...besides, I looked, there isn't any in the pantry.:ohmy:

I'll just staple the can to my hips...:ROFLMAO: Nope, no...I AM a Princess and made of sterner stuff...besides, I looked, there isn't any in the pantry.:ohmy:

:ohmy: NO CONDENSED MILK?! That is sacrilege in manner of all staples. Condensed milk is one of the staples, especially when I'm making Thai iced tea and ice cream and... well you get the idea.

Still! No guts, no glory! Or no condensed milk, no overhanging gut.... :LOL:

When I was a kid I loved mayonaise. I would put nothing but mayo on bread and eat it. (my younger brother liked nothing but ketchup on bread and my younger sister ate limes and dill pickles together.) I also put mayo on my hamburgers and my family thought that was weird.

My mom made some really weird thing that had spaghetti noodles and canned corn and I cant remember what else.

And my man eats raw pasta and frozen tator tots (not at the same time though lol )

As the person who started this thread (which, btw, I started because I thought "how could my mother think sardines, spinach, hard cooked eggs, and saltines were a balanced diet?), I have to say I have really enjoyed these posts...and remembered foods from my childhood I'd forgotten. Comfort foods from the past when we could still eat sugar??? etc.? Hope newbies keep posting...I posted this as newbie and the responses made me feel really welcome to this forum.

Toast with American cheese, melted, and homemade Bread and Butter pickles.

"The Hobo Egg"

Grab a slice of bread, fold it in half, and take a bit from the middle. When you unfold it, you will have a hole. Butter each side, and place in a fry-pan over medium heat. Flip when the first side is toasted, and crack an egg in the hole. As soon as it sets, flip the bread/egg to re-crisp the other side and finish the egg over easy. Serve over a sausage patty.

And it looks something like this (post 27). http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/my-first-egg-41426-3.html
I use a glass to cut the hole though. And fry the piece with the rest. Your method certainly works though. I regularly snack on white bread :)

Okay here's one. My mom would take leftover pork chops, cut the meat off and cut it into cubes then reheat is in a skillet, add cooked elbow macaroni and a can of tomato soup and then cover and heat it all through.

I love those things, Nicholas. The first time I saw one was in the movie V for Vendetta. I didn't like the movie, but I found a new way to make eggs that I liked :chef:

Amazing all the people searching for "breakfast he made" :LOL:

Oh--my grandmother used to simmer an open can of it in a pan of water...oh--I'd forgotten about that!

It is even better when simmer the Un-open can for couple-3 of hours. I cannot discribe the flavor and taste, but it really is awesome.

My grandma used to serve us hot milk poured over toast, with salt and pepper. Maybe this was a depression era thing? I think it's weird but I actually still like it to this day... I get cravings for it lol

I never heard of a fluffer nutter (peanut butter and marshmallow cream on bread) before meeting my husband. He is from New Jersey. I guess it is an east coast thing, but they sure are good. Try it sometime!

I never heard of a fluffer nutter (peanut butter and marshmallow cream on bread) before meeting my husband. He is from New Jersey. I guess it is an east coast thing, but they sure are good. Try it sometime!

Wow.. I haven't though or heard of fluffer-nutters in AGES.

Back
Top Bottom