"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-08-2011, 02:37 AM   #61
Senior Cook

I remember eating some pretty odd things as a child that, as an adult now, I would NEVER eat again(my father came from a huge, extremely poor southern family). But, then again, I grew up in the age of "people in other countries are STARVING (which, is still a true statement I realize, just not one that I have ever used on my kids), so, if its on your plate, you're GOING to eat it" era. My brother & I silently countered this demand & discovered EVERY way possible to make food go "invisable". Our BEST method, was to simply toss the offending foods that we disliked in between the wall & the table when the parents were distracted. Believe it or not, this actually worked for us most of the time. When mum went to cleaning & moved the table, the rotten food would be found, &, I suppose we would be punished, but...hey, rather that than eat some of those foods at dinner! On liver nights, we were not so lucky...she stood over us, & literally barked at how "healthy" it was, &, watched us choke through every bite. (ok, she didn't bark at us, she really is a "softie", but...lemme just say that the woman could "preach" LOL )
To this day, &, for the rest of my life left - liver will NEVER, EVER, NEVER-EVER cross my lips. Beets, I liked as a kid, but, now they just taste of dirt to me. Brussel sprouts also have been tainted in my mind too. My brain gets confused when trying to figure if it was just the foods not being cooked right in the first place or what(the list is quite long), but...I will never know for sure, as the list of "yuck" in my mind is just too strong.
Also, growing up, mayonaise was used far too much. We put it on darn near everything. PB & banana sandwich? *waves mayo wand*...grilled cheese? * waves mayo wand*...pork-n-beans? *yes, mayo wand again*..Literally,...WTH was so special about the mayo mom?!?! (I use it very sparingly now)
One of either the brightest or worst idea as a kid though(never have figured out if it was smart or not)...but, it sure did "cure" me though was on cake batter.
I adored it!! Couldn't get enough of the stuff!! HATED pouring the magical stuff into a baking dish :/ I HAD to figure SOME way to have this stuff be mine, & mine alone, so, once, I secretly made the batter for a Duncan Hines devils choc cake. Mixed it up, &, wisked it off to my room. Ate it by the spoonfuls - hid it in a bottom drawer. FOR ALMOST THREE DAYS!!! *getting near sick even remembering this*...LOL...Best way to put it is this...when someone quotes Marie Antionettes' "Let them eat cake" quote, it quite literally has a WHOLE 'nuther meaniing as far as I am concerned!!

Old 01-08-2011, 02:33 PM   #62
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Fi you probably know this one, when I was a teenager my Mum would make a beef stew with stout.
She would then cut stale french bread into thick rounds and spread the side that sits on the stew with dijon, she would cover the stew with these bread rounds, then paint the tops with melted butter, put back in a hot oven to brown.
Not really weired, when she could not get pasta sheets she would make lasagne using crepes.
That sounds brilliant...I must remember that one for my next stew. Now I'm all hungry...again!

Old 01-09-2011, 02:54 AM   #63
Assistant Cook

My mom made us homemade white bread sandwiches with peanut butter smeared on one side, and mayonnaise on the other. on the p.b. she put and american cheese slice, and some lettuce. I still love them, just eat em more seldomly!
Old 01-09-2011, 01:58 PM   #64
Assistant Cook

Not sure if this qualifies as weird in the way you meant it.... but since kids don't usually like veggies I thought this just might qualify for your question.

We often put some smoked pork (usually just the butt cut found at the local grocery store) in whatever vegetable stock was available in the freezer. Simmered it for hours then added potatoes and green beans. After another hour, we called it "farmer's stew" and devoured it with slices of buttered bread. No other seasonings besides pepper, no definately other ingredients were allowed... we cried foul and refused to eat it if anything changed. I caried on the tradition with my kids (it's cheap and easy). My sons say this was their favorite childhood meal too and now they're making it for my grandkids.

I think it's a weird favorite but it's definately a major childhood memory that we just laughed about during the holidays. PS: We're definately not farmers so that just adds to the oddity!
Old 01-09-2011, 02:14 PM   #65
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Peanut butter and bacon sandwiches using leftover crunchy-cooked bacon - delicious!

1/2 grapefruit w/ brown sugar and sherry (grammas wake up fruit)

Old 01-09-2011, 02:57 PM   #66
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Not really weired, when she could not get pasta sheets she would make lasagne using crepes.
Oh my goodness, I get the best ideas from you guys! I never have lasagna noodles in the house but crepes are so easy to whip up and I'll bet they would be great in a lasagna!
Old 01-09-2011, 03:08 PM   #67
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
Oh my goodness, I get the best ideas from you guys! I never have lasagna noodles in the house but crepes are so easy to whip up and I'll bet they would be great in a lasagna!
Flour Tortillas would would work also.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:11 PM   #68
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post

Also, egg roll wrappers.

All three of these things; crepes, tortillas and egg roll wrappers make a lighter lasagna.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:06 PM   #69
Chef Extraordinaire

I've used crepes instead of cannoli (sp) noodles (which are so hard to stuff anyway).
Old 01-09-2011, 05:17 PM   #70
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
Great tips! I never heard of that.
And... I just happened to buy some more flour tortillas today
(assuming they don't have to be homemade)