"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-09-2011, 05:33 PM   #71
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
Oh my goodness, I get the best ideas from you guys! I never have lasagna noodles in the house but crepes are so easy to whip up and I'll bet they would be great in a lasagna!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Great tips! I never heard of that.
And... I just happened to buy some more flour tortillas today
(assuming they don't have to be homemade)

No. My line of thinking was, what was on hand.

Old 01-15-2011, 02:51 PM   #72
Executive Chef

I just have to post here even though it has been around awhile. I just joined today, and I have to tell you all that something I learned to eat as a child is still a favorite at 50. I just love eating cottage cheese on potato chips. My mom taught me this, and it is so much better than chip dip! My mom just passed away in December, and now when I eat this, I fondly think of the wonderful lady who taught me all about cooking. She would have loved this site!

Old 01-15-2011, 03:13 PM   #73
Head Chef

Welcome to DC Chopper

Josie
Old 01-15-2011, 03:24 PM   #74
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
I just have to post here even though it has been around awhile. I just joined today, and I have to tell you all that something I learned to eat as a child is still a favorite at 50. I just love eating cottage cheese on potato chips. My mom taught me this, and it is so much better than chip dip! My mom just passed away in December, and now when I eat this, I fondly think of the wonderful lady who taught me all about cooking. She would have loved this site!
Welcome to DC chopper! I'm sorry to hear about your mom--mine passed away 10 years ago December 11th.

My husband loves potato chips with cottage cheese. I sometimes eat them this way now as well.

Barbara
Old 01-15-2011, 04:35 PM   #75
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post

Welcome to DC...glad you have a favorite that reminds you of your Mother.

Have fun here, we are a little unruly, but if you throw us a fresh cheesecake we quiet down.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:58 PM   #76
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I remember sipping on spoonfuls of soy sauce.

Another one I don't remember doing, I had an unusual urge to have a can of sweetened condensed milk, did it and it was good. Told my Mom about it and she told me my Aunt Carol used to take me and a can out in the backyard and we'd eat a whole can by the spoonful. I still get that urge every once in a while.
PF, I was/on the very rare occasion still am another sweetened condensed milk consumer It is very lovely on its own, I used to steal a little spoonful of it when it was being cooked with and no one was looking. A lot.

Then again I would do the same with golden syrup, and it was a common thing to swipe some molasses from the big tank when feeding horses (That probably wasn't the most hygienic as goodness knows what was on the tank tap, but the actual molasses was food grade!).
Old 01-15-2011, 10:55 PM   #77
Head Chef

I once stopped at a little Amish owned restaurant in Northern Indiana. They had buffet meal and there was a creamy white almost pudding like stuff on the buffet that I tried. It was rich creamy and delicious. I asked what they called it and imagine my surprise when they told me it was just sweetened condensed milk with vanilla wafers. Yum! I haven't thought of that in ages.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:29 PM   #78
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by potsnpanties View Post
PF, I was/on the very rare occasion still am another sweetened condensed milk consumer It is very lovely on its own, I used to steal a little spoonful of it when it was being cooked with and no one was looking. A lot.

Then again I would do the same with golden syrup, and it was a common thing to swipe some molasses from the big tank when feeding horses (That probably wasn't the most hygienic as goodness knows what was on the tank tap, but the actual molasses was food grade!).
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
I once stopped at a little Amish owned restaurant in Northern Indiana. They had buffet meal and there was a creamy white almost pudding like stuff on the buffet that I tried. It was rich creamy and delicious. I asked what they called it and imagine my surprise when they told me it was just sweetened condensed milk with vanilla wafers. Yum! I haven't thought of that in ages.
Okay, no more tempting me to open a can.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:44 PM   #79
Head Chef

Okay but htat means that I can't mention how easy the stuff is to make from powdered milk. No can opening.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:46 PM   #80
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Okay, no more tempting me to open a can.
You know you want to. It's calling you ever-so sweetly. That condensed Siren's call to dip your spoon into delicious, sticky, milky goodness.

"Princess, oh Princess... Won't you try just a little, for old time's sake?"

Just stating fact here k