"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-09-2011, 05:33 PM   #71
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
Oh my goodness, I get the best ideas from you guys! I never have lasagna noodles in the house but crepes are so easy to whip up and I'll bet they would be great in a lasagna!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Great tips! I never heard of that.
And... I just happened to buy some more flour tortillas today
(assuming they don't have to be homemade)

No. My line of thinking was, what was on hand.
__________________

__________________
PattY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:51 PM   #72
Executive Chef
 
chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,345
I just have to post here even though it has been around awhile. I just joined today, and I have to tell you all that something I learned to eat as a child is still a favorite at 50. I just love eating cottage cheese on potato chips. My mom taught me this, and it is so much better than chip dip! My mom just passed away in December, and now when I eat this, I fondly think of the wonderful lady who taught me all about cooking. She would have loved this site!
__________________

__________________
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:13 PM   #73
Head Chef
 
Josie1945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sunny Central Florida
Posts: 2,003
Welcome to DC Chopper

Josie
__________________
Practice Random Acts of Kindness ( RAK ) Makes you feel great too
Josie1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:24 PM   #74
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
I just have to post here even though it has been around awhile. I just joined today, and I have to tell you all that something I learned to eat as a child is still a favorite at 50. I just love eating cottage cheese on potato chips. My mom taught me this, and it is so much better than chip dip! My mom just passed away in December, and now when I eat this, I fondly think of the wonderful lady who taught me all about cooking. She would have loved this site!
Welcome to DC chopper! I'm sorry to hear about your mom--mine passed away 10 years ago December 11th.

My husband loves potato chips with cottage cheese. I sometimes eat them this way now as well.

Barbara
__________________
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:35 PM   #75
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
I just have to post here even though it has been around awhile. I just joined today, and I have to tell you all that something I learned to eat as a child is still a favorite at 50. I just love eating cottage cheese on potato chips. My mom taught me this, and it is so much better than chip dip! My mom just passed away in December, and now when I eat this, I fondly think of the wonderful lady who taught me all about cooking. She would have loved this site!

Welcome to DC...glad you have a favorite that reminds you of your Mother.

Have fun here, we are a little unruly, but if you throw us a fresh cheesecake we quiet down.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:58 PM   #76
Cook
 
potsnpanties's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I remember sipping on spoonfuls of soy sauce.

Another one I don't remember doing, I had an unusual urge to have a can of sweetened condensed milk, did it and it was good. Told my Mom about it and she told me my Aunt Carol used to take me and a can out in the backyard and we'd eat a whole can by the spoonful. I still get that urge every once in a while.
PF, I was/on the very rare occasion still am another sweetened condensed milk consumer It is very lovely on its own, I used to steal a little spoonful of it when it was being cooked with and no one was looking. A lot.

Then again I would do the same with golden syrup, and it was a common thing to swipe some molasses from the big tank when feeding horses (That probably wasn't the most hygienic as goodness knows what was on the tank tap, but the actual molasses was food grade!).
__________________
There's only two things in the world I need to ensure appropriate survival in today's society: Pots and panties... and cupcakes. Probably need some cupcakes.
potsnpanties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:55 PM   #77
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,722
I once stopped at a little Amish owned restaurant in Northern Indiana. They had buffet meal and there was a creamy white almost pudding like stuff on the buffet that I tried. It was rich creamy and delicious. I asked what they called it and imagine my surprise when they told me it was just sweetened condensed milk with vanilla wafers. Yum! I haven't thought of that in ages.
__________________
joesfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:29 PM   #78
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by potsnpanties View Post
PF, I was/on the very rare occasion still am another sweetened condensed milk consumer It is very lovely on its own, I used to steal a little spoonful of it when it was being cooked with and no one was looking. A lot.

Then again I would do the same with golden syrup, and it was a common thing to swipe some molasses from the big tank when feeding horses (That probably wasn't the most hygienic as goodness knows what was on the tank tap, but the actual molasses was food grade!).
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
I once stopped at a little Amish owned restaurant in Northern Indiana. They had buffet meal and there was a creamy white almost pudding like stuff on the buffet that I tried. It was rich creamy and delicious. I asked what they called it and imagine my surprise when they told me it was just sweetened condensed milk with vanilla wafers. Yum! I haven't thought of that in ages.
Okay, no more tempting me to open a can.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:44 PM   #79
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,722
Okay but htat means that I can't mention how easy the stuff is to make from powdered milk. No can opening.
__________________
joesfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:46 PM   #80
Cook
 
potsnpanties's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Okay, no more tempting me to open a can.
You know you want to. It's calling you ever-so sweetly. That condensed Siren's call to dip your spoon into delicious, sticky, milky goodness.

"Princess, oh Princess... Won't you try just a little, for old time's sake?"


Just stating fact here k
__________________

__________________
There's only two things in the world I need to ensure appropriate survival in today's society: Pots and panties... and cupcakes. Probably need some cupcakes.
potsnpanties is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.