Weird foods from your childhood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's fun remembering this! Someone else mentioned open faced peanut butter sandwiches with sugar sprinkled on top, I had many of those as a kid. Graham crackers with butter was a typical snack, which I still enjoy. I used to put potato chips right on my sandwiches, it didn't matter what kind of sandwich it was, PB&J, ham, cheese, whatever. Cottage cheese with sugar on top, powdered hot cocoa mix sprinkled on vanilla ice cream... that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Potted meat sandwiches, a big chunk of pepperoni while watching TV, or cold hot dogs, a large chunk of liverwurst or braunschwieger eaten plain, sardines dredged in uncooked farina and pan fried in oil, head cheese, pickled pigs feat, 7-Up with a grape Fizzie thrown in, outside in the back yard only, Peanut butter and Miracle Whip sandwiches. I'm sure I've forgotten a few:LOL:.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Potted meat sandwiches, a big chunk of pepperoni while watching TV, or cold hot dogs, a large chunk of liverwurst or braunschwieger eaten plain, sardines dredged in uncooked farina and pan fried in oil, head cheese, pickled pigs feat, 7-Up with a grape Fizzie thrown in, outside in the back yard only, Peanut butter and Miracle Whip sandwiches. I'm sure I've forgotten a few:LOL:.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

That sounds like a tasty idea, GW. Maybe even as a batter. Do you remember the taste?:chef:

I ate the sugar sandwiches made with white bread and butter as well as the peanut butter and dill pickle sandwiches on toast. For breakfast sometimes we would have weiners that were cut in half lengthwise and then fried, along with milk gravy and homemade biscuits. I eat biscuits and gravy still, whenever I have the opportunity.

I remember one time my friend and I were left alone at her house while her mom went to pick up other kids from activities. We wanted to make floats. Got out the ice cream, no soda, but found grapefruit juice so used that and added Hershey's syrup to help sweeten the juice. The flavor wasn't bad but I spent the next 15-20 mins in the bathroom getting rid of it all! I have never had it again but my friend would occasionally still make one for herself.

Peanut butter and dill pickle sandwiches. For some reason, I thought everyone ate those growing up...maybe that's a northern MN thing? (This is not what I would call a "weird" food, this is a comfort food that I still eat every now and then, only now it is organic peanut butter and homemade dills <g>).

i luv those very much! 1 of my beloved sammiches~

my mom's norwegian breakfasts were my fondest but also weirdest memories.

there was labskaus, which is a kind of gooey corned beef hash made with diced pickles and potatoes, and served with herring and fried eggs.

she was the best crepe maker that i've ever seen in my life, especially when we got to fill them with jelly or jam, or the more traditional butter and heaping tablespoons of sugar. well, mom didn't actually see how much sugar we put on, lol.

but the one that takes the cake, the reason why i think i have such a strong immune system is her norwegian breakfast milkshakes. into an ice cold glass of chocolate milk she would blend a raw egg or two until it became very frothy.
can you imagine serving raw eggs to a kid today?

they were absolutely delicious, and i looked forward to them on really cold mornings. it's the reason why i have such a shiny coat as well...

:D

my mom's norwegian breakfasts were my fondest but also weirdest memories.

there was labskaus, which is a kind of gooey corned beef hash made with diced pickles and potatoes, and served with herring and fried eggs.

she was the best crepe maker that i've ever seen in my life, especially when we got to fill them with jelly or jam, or the more traditional butter and heaping tablespoons of sugar. well, mom didn't actually see how much sugar we put on, lol.

but the one that takes the cake, the reason why i think i have such a strong immune system is her norwegian breakfast milkshakes. into an ice cold glass of chocolate milk she would blend a raw egg or two until it became very frothy.
can you imagine serving raw eggs to a kid today?

they were absolutely delicious, and i looked forward to them on really cold mornings. it's the reason why i have such a shiny coat as well...

:D

Doesn't everyone have fish at breakfast? :LOL:

The Icelandic hotel included a "Scandinavian breakfast". My sister and I looked at each other and both said, "Scandinavian breakfast???" Well, it was a small smörgåsbord, with cold cuts and lots of choices of pickled herring and other fish and heavy rye bread and "French bread". Yup, that would be a Scandinavian breakfast. Of course there was lamb. It was Iceland. :)

I remember sipping on spoonfuls of soy sauce.

Another one I don't remember doing, I had an unusual urge to have a can of sweetened condensed milk, did it and it was good. Told my Mom about it and she told me my Aunt Carol used to take me and a can out in the backyard and we'd eat a whole can by the spoonful. I still get that urge every once in a while.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom