Weird foods from your childhood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Peanut butter and bacon sandwiches using leftover crunchy-cooked bacon - delicious!

1/2 grapefruit w/ brown sugar and sherry (grammas wake up fruit)

Last edited:
Peanut butter and bacon sandwiches using leftover crunchy-cooked bacon - delicious!

Make the PB & Bacon sandwich, then butter the outsides and grill it like a cheese sandwich.

MMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..................

I remember sipping on spoonfuls of soy sauce.

Another one I don't remember doing, I had an unusual urge to have a can of sweetened condensed milk, did it and it was good. Told my Mom about it and she told me my Aunt Carol used to take me and a can out in the backyard and we'd eat a whole can by the spoonful. I still get that urge every once in a while.

I love sweetened condenced milk, I can finish a whole can in one seating nowadays as easily as I did as a child. But it cannot be consider weird, it is good food. ;)

Pacanis, what is so unusual about it?

Last edited:
Grilled peanut butter, onion and cheese sandwiches...Dad made them once and they were really goood!

i thought my dad was weird when i was young when he'd make a snack of extra sharp cheddar, raw onions, and spicy brown mustard on a wheat cracker.

it was delicious, but i never expected that anyone else would eat something that made your breath smell so bad. years later, i saw it on the menu at mcsorley's pub in manhattan. apparently, it's a fairly common irish pub snack.

my mom's norwegian breakfasts were my fondest but also weirdest memories.

there was labskaus,

:D
Tom, Lobscouse became the best known dish in my home city of Liverpool, we are known throughout the UK as "Scousers" if you were rich it had meat in it, if not it was called Blind Scouse.
What do you call a scouser in a suit ? GUILTY:)

lol, bloas, i guess i'm a scouser as well.

. i have to get my mom to make me some soon so i can write down her particular recipe and technique.

lol, bloas
:LOL::LOL:
Traditional Liverpool Scouse.
1st, connect the electricity supply to your neighbours.
2nd, rob the meat and veg from Asda.
3rd pay your partners bail.
4th put the kids in care if you dont want to share
5th throw all the ingredients into a pot add tap ju and simmer for 2 hours.;)

i thought my dad was weird when i was young when he'd make a snack of extra sharp cheddar, raw onions, and spicy brown mustard on a wheat cracker.

it was delicious, but i never expected that anyone else would eat something that made your breath smell so bad. years later, i saw it on the menu at mcsorley's pub in manhattan. apparently, it's a fairly common irish pub snack.

That sounds fantastic! I'm always looking for more ways to use mustard.

I love sweetened condenced milk, I can finish a whole can in one seating nowadays as easily as I did as a child. But it cannot be consider weird, it is good food. ;)

Pacanis, what is so unusual about it?

Oh--my grandmother used to simmer an open can of it in a pan of water...oh--I'd forgotten about that!

In the winter, we would come in frozen to the bone from sledding and my grandmother would make us her "Rivel Soup" served in front of the fireplace. It was a Pennsylvania Dutch thing but I don't know how she made it exactly except for the "rivels" were made by putting maybe 2 cups of flour in a bowl, making a dent in the middle, pouring in maybe 1 or 2 beaten eggs (from her chickens), and mixing it up with her fingers to make little lumpy crumbs . She would drop this into a hot sweet soup that was white (milk, corn, potatoes ?) until the lumps were cooked and the soup was thick and creamy.

That sounds fantastic! I'm always looking for more ways to use mustard.
Fi you probably know this one, when I was a teenager my Mum would make a beef stew with stout.
She would then cut stale french bread into thick rounds and spread the side that sits on the stew with dijon, she would cover the stew with these bread rounds, then paint the tops with melted butter, put back in a hot oven to brown.
Not really weired, when she could not get pasta sheets she would make lasagne using crepes.

MollyAnne, You know I carry around my drool rag like a blankie, knowing you are going to do this to me.

You mentioned in another thread about corn chowder. So give up the recipe as best as you can remember it, please. I'd love to make a corn chowder. With cornbread, of course.:chef:

Fi you probably know this one, when I was a teenager my Mum would make a beef stew with stout.
She would then cut stale french bread into thick rounds and spread the side that sits on the stew with dijon, she would cover the stew with these bread rounds, then paint the tops with melted butter, put back in a hot oven to brown.
Not really weired, when she could not get pasta sheets she would make lasagne using crepes.

wow, bolas, that sounds great. i can see where your love of food started.

Actually, Zhizara, there may not have been any corn in the Rivel soup. The lumps aka "rivels" in the soup came from the flour/egg crumbs. I mentioned corn though because I remember it being sweet. It wasn't like a corn chowder. It was white with white lumps.

Bolas, your Mum sounds like a brilliant cook.............yum.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom