Weird foods from your childhood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I remember eating some pretty odd things as a child that, as an adult now, I would NEVER eat again(my father came from a huge, extremely poor southern family). But, then again, I grew up in the age of "people in other countries are STARVING (which, is still a true statement I realize, just not one that I have ever used on my kids), so, if its on your plate, you're GOING to eat it" era. My brother & I silently countered this demand & discovered EVERY way possible to make food go "invisable". Our BEST method, was to simply toss the offending foods that we disliked in between the wall & the table when the parents were distracted. Believe it or not, this actually worked for us most of the time. When mum went to cleaning & moved the table, the rotten food would be found, &, I suppose we would be punished, but...hey, rather that than eat some of those foods at dinner! On liver nights, we were not so lucky...she stood over us, & literally barked at how "healthy" it was, &, watched us choke through every bite. (ok, she didn't bark at us, she really is a "softie", but...lemme just say that the woman could "preach" LOL )
To this day, &, for the rest of my life left - liver will NEVER, EVER, NEVER-EVER cross my lips. Beets, I liked as a kid, but, now they just taste of dirt to me. Brussel sprouts also have been tainted in my mind too. My brain gets confused when trying to figure if it was just the foods not being cooked right in the first place or what(the list is quite long), but...I will never know for sure, as the list of "yuck" in my mind is just too strong.
Also, growing up, mayonaise was used far too much. We put it on darn near everything. PB & banana sandwich? *waves mayo wand*...grilled cheese? * waves mayo wand*...pork-n-beans? *yes, mayo wand again*..Literally,...WTH was so special about the mayo mom?!?! (I use it very sparingly now)
One of either the brightest or worst idea as a kid though(never have figured out if it was smart or not)...but, it sure did "cure" me though was on cake batter.
I adored it!! Couldn't get enough of the stuff!! HATED pouring the magical stuff into a baking dish :/ I HAD to figure SOME way to have this stuff be mine, & mine alone, so, once, I secretly made the batter for a Duncan Hines devils choc cake. Mixed it up, &, wisked it off to my room. Ate it by the spoonfuls - hid it in a bottom drawer. FOR ALMOST THREE DAYS!!! *getting near sick even remembering this*...LOL...Best way to put it is this...when someone quotes Marie Antionettes' "Let them eat cake" quote, it quite literally has a WHOLE 'nuther meaniing as far as I am concerned!!

Last edited:
Fi you probably know this one, when I was a teenager my Mum would make a beef stew with stout.
She would then cut stale french bread into thick rounds and spread the side that sits on the stew with dijon, she would cover the stew with these bread rounds, then paint the tops with melted butter, put back in a hot oven to brown.
Not really weired, when she could not get pasta sheets she would make lasagne using crepes.

That sounds brilliant...I must remember that one for my next stew. Now I'm all hungry...again!:)

My mom made us homemade white bread sandwiches with peanut butter smeared on one side, and mayonnaise on the other. on the p.b. she put and american cheese slice, and some lettuce. I still love them, just eat em more seldomly!

Not sure if this qualifies as weird in the way you meant it.... but since kids don't usually like veggies I thought this just might qualify for your question.

We often put some smoked pork (usually just the butt cut found at the local grocery store) in whatever vegetable stock was available in the freezer. Simmered it for hours then added potatoes and green beans. After another hour, we called it "farmer's stew" and devoured it with slices of buttered bread. No other seasonings besides pepper, no definately other ingredients were allowed... we cried foul and refused to eat it if anything changed. I caried on the tradition with my kids (it's cheap and easy). My sons say this was their favorite childhood meal too and now they're making it for my grandkids.

I think it's a weird favorite but it's definately a major childhood memory that we just laughed about during the holidays. PS: We're definately not farmers so that just adds to the oddity!

Not really weired, when she could not get pasta sheets she would make lasagne using crepes.

Oh my goodness, I get the best ideas from you guys! I never have lasagna noodles in the house but crepes are so easy to whip up and I'll bet they would be great in a lasagna!

Oh my goodness, I get the best ideas from you guys! I never have lasagna noodles in the house but crepes are so easy to whip up and I'll bet they would be great in a lasagna!

Flour Tortillas would would work also.

Great tips! I never heard of that.
And... I just happened to buy some more flour tortillas today :)
(assuming they don't have to be homemade)

No. My line of thinking was, what was on hand.

I just have to post here even though it has been around awhile. I just joined today, and I have to tell you all that something I learned to eat as a child is still a favorite at 50. I just love eating cottage cheese on potato chips. My mom taught me this, and it is so much better than chip dip! My mom just passed away in December, and now when I eat this, I fondly think of the wonderful lady who taught me all about cooking. She would have loved this site!

Last edited:
I just have to post here even though it has been around awhile. I just joined today, and I have to tell you all that something I learned to eat as a child is still a favorite at 50. I just love eating cottage cheese on potato chips. My mom taught me this, and it is so much better than chip dip! My mom just passed away in December, and now when I eat this, I fondly think of the wonderful lady who taught me all about cooking. She would have loved this site!
Welcome to DC chopper! I'm sorry to hear about your mom--mine passed away 10 years ago December 11th.

My husband loves potato chips with cottage cheese. I sometimes eat them this way now as well.

:)Barbara

Welcome to DC...glad you have a favorite that reminds you of your Mother.

Have fun here, we are a little unruly, but if you throw us a fresh cheesecake we quiet down.

I remember sipping on spoonfuls of soy sauce.

Another one I don't remember doing, I had an unusual urge to have a can of sweetened condensed milk, did it and it was good. Told my Mom about it and she told me my Aunt Carol used to take me and a can out in the backyard and we'd eat a whole can by the spoonful. I still get that urge every once in a while.

PF, I was/on the very rare occasion still am another sweetened condensed milk consumer :LOL: It is very lovely on its own, I used to steal a little spoonful of it when it was being cooked with and no one was looking. A lot.

Then again I would do the same with golden syrup, and it was a common thing to swipe some molasses from the big tank when feeding horses (That probably wasn't the most hygienic as goodness knows what was on the tank tap, but the actual molasses was food grade!).

I once stopped at a little Amish owned restaurant in Northern Indiana. They had buffet meal and there was a creamy white almost pudding like stuff on the buffet that I tried. It was rich creamy and delicious. I asked what they called it and imagine my surprise when they told me it was just sweetened condensed milk with vanilla wafers. Yum! I haven't thought of that in ages.

PF, I was/on the very rare occasion still am another sweetened condensed milk consumer :LOL: It is very lovely on its own, I used to steal a little spoonful of it when it was being cooked with and no one was looking. A lot.

Then again I would do the same with golden syrup, and it was a common thing to swipe some molasses from the big tank when feeding horses (That probably wasn't the most hygienic as goodness knows what was on the tank tap, but the actual molasses was food grade!).

I once stopped at a little Amish owned restaurant in Northern Indiana. They had buffet meal and there was a creamy white almost pudding like stuff on the buffet that I tried. It was rich creamy and delicious. I asked what they called it and imagine my surprise when they told me it was just sweetened condensed milk with vanilla wafers. Yum! I haven't thought of that in ages.

Okay, no more tempting me to open a can. :pig:

Okay but htat means that I can't mention how easy the stuff is to make from powdered milk. No can opening.

Okay, no more tempting me to open a can. :pig:

You know you want to. It's calling you ever-so sweetly. That condensed Siren's call to dip your spoon into delicious, sticky, milky goodness.

"Princess, oh Princess... Won't you try just a little, for old time's sake?"

Just stating fact here k :innocent:

Back
Top Bottom