What are Cajun spices?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mel!

Sous Chef
i sometimes read recipes which require Cajun spices. They say add a spoonful of Cajun spices. But what do Cajun spices consist of?
Would anybody be able to give me a list of ones, that would make a nice typical Cajun mix?
Mel

Emril's recipe for Bayou Blast Serves me well. I make it up and keep it in a shaker to use by the tablespoons for Cajun shrimp linguine or a few shakes on my baked fish.

Thanks bevkile.
Would somebody please point me in the direction of Emrils recipe for Bayou Blast?

I have 2 cajun seasonings in the cupboard. They are Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning and something called Cajun Shake that I got free with turkey injector liquid. Both seem to work great. Also I know that you can get Tony Chachere's at the grocery store.

P.S. I am sure that Emeril doesn't publish his recipe for Bayou Blast, but you could probably buy it somewhere!

I had the same question earlier this summer, when we were barbecueing some fish fillets and I wanted to introduce some blackened fish type stuff. I searched around the net and came up with a mixture, something like this
(I live outside the us as well and something like "cajun spice mix" is unheard of here...)

3 paprila
1 garlic powder
1 onion powder
1 black pepper
1 white pepper
1 crushed oregano
cayenne pepper and salt, as much or as little as you like... taste to determine the amount.

(numbers indicated... proportions. can be converted using weight, tsp, tbsp etc.)

It worked out well!!

Mel! said:
Thanks bevkile.
Would somebody please point me in the direction of Emrils recipe for Bayou Blast?
"Bayou Blast" 2 1/2 T- (Tbls.) paprika - 2 T salt - 2 T garlic powder - 1 T black pepper- 1 T onion powder - 1 T cayenne pepper - 1 T dried oregano - 1 T dried thyme -- yields - 2/3 cup !!

There are probably as many different Cajun spice mixtures as there are Cajuns. It's basically salt, pepper (lots!), onion and/or garlic, and whatever else you want to add. Mix it up in a jar and dip it out as needed.

It's not Cajun if it's not HOT! For example:

1/4 cup salt
2 T. cayenne pepper
2 T. paprika
2 T. black pepper
1 1/2 T. onion powder
1 T. garlic powder
2 t. dried basil
1/4 t. dried thyme
1/4 t. ground mustard

i'm from louisiana, and i've got access to HUNDREDS (literally) of cajun spices-even homemade recipes.

but the bottom line... you can't go wrong with Tony Cachere's or with Zatarain's.

Cajun spices help

Thanks very much, everybody.
It is amazing how much information, i can get here.
Mel

Back
Top Bottom