"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-02-2006, 10:20 PM   #1
Senior Cook

What are ethnic recipes?

When one hears a reference to ethnic recipes what is meant?

Does it mean recipes from countries other than the USA? In which case, could British recipes be considered ethnic? Or Irish recipes? Or perhaps Canadian recipes? And what about Australian recipes?

Are Jewish recipes ethnic recipes?

Old 04-02-2006, 10:32 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Your questions are more about different countries than different cuisines. A standing rib roast cooked in Canada is the same dish cooked in the USA or Great Britain.

What makes a recipe an "ethnic" recipe is that is from a different cuisine than that of the home country - the USA in this case.

Therefore, dishes from Asian countries are ethnic because they are not part of this country's food history. The same for the distinctive cuisines of European, Middle Eastern, South American, etc. countries.

In Beijing, American dishes would be considered ethnic because American dishes are not integral to China's food history.

Old 04-02-2006, 10:58 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Hmm.

I agree a standing rib roast is the same in Canada, USA, Britain, Australia, and so on, but there are British Recipes that are not known in the USA. Cumberland Rum Nicky, for example, and Hollygog Pudding, Wumbuswubble Burgers, Busted hands, and so on. Surely these are ethnic recipes?

Just a thought.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:06 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

You make a good point.

I don't consider myself an expert on this subject, just offering my opinion.

However, I would categorize the recipes you mentioned as unknown or uncommon recipes rather than ethnic recipes.

In my opinion, an etnic recipe would come from a different cuisine that grew out of a different culture.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:24 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
In my opinion, an et[h]nic recipe would come from a different cuisine that grew out of a different culture.
The OP asks a good question. I would hate to think that it would mean something different than American cuisine, because IMHO, that doesn't exist - American food is a fusion in and of itself. But it's a good question. To the OP - I'd just post in Ethnic if you feel that it is and let the mods sort it out.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:59 PM   #6
Head Chef

Interesting discussion...

I would propose that Southern Cooking (aka 'Soul Food') and Cajun/Creole cooking might also be considered 'Ethnic'... and they ARE American and they ARE traditional.

Webster defines ethnic as: of or relating to large groups of people classed according to common racial, national, tribal, religious, linguistic, or cultural origin or background <ethnic minorities> <ethnic enclaves> b : being a member of an ethnic group c : of, relating to, or characteristic of ethnics <ethnic neighborhoods> <ethnic foods>

Therefore, the word is defined as it relates to the MAJORITY which (in the case of this forum) appears to be white America.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:19 PM   #7
Head Chef

Then again, not all Southern food is "soul food." I wouldn't consider fried chicken, smothered steak or shrimp n grits to be "ethnic," or "soul food," though they are definitely Southern. I *would* consider cracklin' cornbread, chitterlings and souse to be "ethnic."

I guess it's just hard to pigeonhole.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 01:21 PM   #8
Head Chef

good point
Old 04-05-2006, 01:21 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

This is not a question that will be answered here.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:41 PM   #10
Head Chef

I asked DH to make me an ethnic anniversary dinner once and he made me a green bean casserole and fish a couple other side dishes. His rationale was that American food would be "ethnic" for me. I was hoping he would be created and make something more exotic like Lebanese, Indian, etc.
I found out I don't care for green bean casserole. :-)