What are Graham Crackers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cath4420

Senior Cook
Being outside the US and Canada I am unfamiliar with Graham Crackers, but so many delicious recipes I find include them. Could someone please help me with understanding what they are. Are they sweet or savoury, what we call crackers are savoury biscuits that you can place savoury or sweet toppings on and biscuits are your straight sweet or chocolate biscuits. I have been told they are made out of an oatmeal type flour is this correct. I am wanting to try the recipes but have been unsure on how to substitute, any help would be most appreciated. tks:)

Being outside the US and Canada I am unfamiliar with Graham Crackers, but so many delicious recipes I find include them. Could someone please help me with understanding what they are. Are they sweet or savoury, what we call crackers are savoury biscuits that you can place savoury or sweet toppings on and biscuits are your straight sweet or chocolate biscuits. I have been told they are made out of an oatmeal type flour is this correct. I am wanting to try the recipes but have been unsure on how to substitute, any help would be most appreciated. tks:)
Hi Cath,
take a look here and see if this helps..
NabiscoWorld
Welcome to DC:)

kadesma

I didn't realize graham crackers were so "localized".
Maybe they can be considered an American cuisine :LOL:

tks kadesma

I think they are close to our "Shredded Wheatmeals" so I will try those and let you know how I go. I find it hilarious with all the different names we all have for our biccies.... we have: Tim Tams (oooh, ask any australian and you will get the same answer), Iced Vo Vos (sort of sweet base with marshmellow on top) and Morning Coffees (great with my skim decaf cappuccino from Starbucks). ;)

You have a Starbucks?
I haven't even been to a Starbucks yet :(

Hi Cath, they are sort of sweet. I am from Canada and live in the UK and I read your post and was reminded of something delicious from my childhood. Another thing is that Graham Cracker crumbs are sold and are used as the basis for things like cheese cake. I hope that helps.

For the record, crackers are also something savoury for us, but this particular type happens to be sweet. I would try and describe the taste but I can't remember - I just remember loving Graham Crackers. They have molasses in them, which I believe you might call 'treacle'. Sort of like Gingerbread, without the Ginger. - does that help?

Last edited:
From Wikipedia: The graham cracker was developed in 1822 in Bound Brook, New Jersey, by Presbyterian minister Rev. Sylvester Graham. Conceived of as a "health food", it is more like a digestive biscuit than a cracker. The true graham cracker is made with graham flour, which is unsifted and coarsely ground wheat flour. He used this due to its high fiber content. His original "Graham bread" was the centerpiece of the Graham Diet, a regimen to suppress what he considered unhealthy carnal urges, the source of many maladies according to Graham.

Hi, Cath. Graham crackers are yummy, especially dunked in milk. You can see what they look like here and read a little explanation.

Another awesome treat made with graham crackers are "s'mores." Look here to see these tasty treats.

Graham crackers are often crushed to crumbs and mixed with granulated sugar and melted butter to create a "cookie" crust for pies. As has already been mentioned, they are also used as the crumb crust for cheesecakes.

I am wanting to try the recipes but have been unsure on how to substitute, any help would be most appreciated. tks:)

They are slightly more dense, and a bit more spicy, but I would try using Biscoffs. Even if they aren't a perfect match, they would make a tasty substitute... :-p

Edit:
Arnott's "Nice" might work if you can't find Biscoffs...

Last edited:
haha i was so wondering what a graham cracker was too, thanks Cath :)

mmmmm Tim Tams mmmmmmmmmmmmm

I think they are close to our "Shredded Wheatmeals" so I will try those and let you know how I go. I find it hilarious with all the different names we all have for our biccies.... we have: Tim Tams (oooh, ask any australian and you will get the same answer), Iced Vo Vos (sort of sweet base with marshmellow on top) and Morning Coffees (great with my skim decaf cappuccino from Starbucks). ;)
I've seen the tim tams on the Ethnic aisle at the grocery store..Never purchased any though..Will have to one of these days

kadesma

Thank you all so much for the help.

I think Nice or Milk Arrowroot might do the trick, thanks Baketech, it was the "oh" moment I was waiting for. I saw Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa) make a pie the other day, will search out and try tomorrow. Rom, I shall let you know how I go.

Kadesma, you have to just try Tim Tams. Rom knows what I mean. Bite both ends off and eat, place the biscuit in your coffee and draw coffee up through the biscuit. Better than any hot chocolate. Tim Tams are a chocolate covered biscuit with two layers of choc biscuit and 2 layers of chocolate inside. My cousin lives in San Francisco and I can ship if the shop runs out!!!! Believe me, one does not stop at one packet. They also have around 5 different kinds, double choc, caramel, strawberry to name a few. Sue-Zee Q, are they available in England?

After reading all the posts, I would suggest trying Granitas over Nice (too much sugar on top) or Milk Arrowroots (too plain). Granitas are really good as a cheesecake base.

Not heard of Graham Crackers either until I joined DC and I haven't heard of Biscoffs either!!

Seems funny having Tim Tams in the Ethnic aisle, mainly cos it is strange thinking of most of the Australian foods as being Ethnic!

Arnott's News - There is no substitute for quality

Tim Tam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know...

I thought the same thing. We have Oreos, maybe the US government and Australian government should do up a trade agreement - free trade between the two countries on Oreos and Tim Tams.

Anyway, shall try the Granitas, haven't left for Coles yet luckily.

tks;)

Now I know where to look for them. They sound like a good little snack with coffee.

Back
Top Bottom