What are some easy tasty and healthy meals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cook4984

Assistant Cook
I made nut burgers the other day they were a great success.

I don't eat cheese due to fattyness.

Anyone recommend any other easy cook healthy stuff?

Pasta I really like but it doesnt feel complete without cheese
frown.gif
I havent found a good recipe for it yet that I like without cheese.

Curry I have all the time.

I need some new ones.

It feels like every day is a battle to find something to eat (thankfully not literally :P). Somehow my menu is never full enough that I have enough reliable dishes I can make them without thinking for a whole week.

I have been experimenting with this simple, almost free, soup recipe. I found the original recipe in an old copy of "Laurel's Kitchen" and have modified it to suit my own tastes, I encourage you to do the same.

Golden Broth

1 medium onion roughly chopped
1 fat clove of garlic chopped
1T oil
1/4 cup yellow or green split peas
1/4 t turmeric
1/8 t cayenne pepper
1 T apple cider vinegar
S&P to taste.
1 quart water

Slowly saute the chopped onion and garlic in oil until it begins to take on color, add the split peas, spices and water, bring to a boil and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes until the peas are tender, puree with an immersion blender or conventional blender.

This can be served as is or you can add some additional chopped vegetables or fine noodles and continue cooking until the additional items are cooked to your liking.

A nice recipe for those days when the last thing you want to do is get dressed and make a run to the store! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I think this could also make a reasonable substitute for a vegetarian gravy if the amount of water was cut in half.

I'm a big fan of soups: split pea, beef barley, chicken noodle or rice, wild rice mushroom, Tom Kha with coconut milk, clam chowdah, pasta y fagioli, you get the picture. I make good sized batches and freeze half. I usually start with chicken or beef stock, add vegetables and meat, maybe a starch.

Stir fry veg with noodles sprinkled with chopped nuts and seeds

You say you don't like cheese because of its fatty...but how about using a little and when it is combined with other ingredients - as parmesan cheese is in pesto - goes with with pasta.

You don't say whether or not you are a vegetarian. It would be useful to know in terms of solutions offered here. (I was thinking of tuna nicoise salad).

First, define "healthy".

I would argue that fatty cheese is healthier for you than pasta, but that's probably just me. ;)

Whatever is heavy in saturated fat I define as unhealthy and cheese fits firmly in that category even the 'low fat' ones. It's interesting how many cheese addicts rush to it's defence when I sully its name.

Every single time I buy a block of cheese and work my way through it, a few days after it's done I'll end up with a big spot somewhere on my face. and I never ever get noticeable spots any other time than that now so I don't want it at all.

Good fats, however, I do not skrimp on such as olive oil and fatty fish.

http://www.discusscooking.com//uk.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

I have been experimenting with this simple, almost free, soup recipe. I found the original recipe in an old copy of "Laurel's Kitchen" and have modified it to suit my own tastes, I encourage you to do the same.

Golden Broth

1 medium onion roughly chopped
1 fat clove of garlic chopped
1T oil
1/4 cup yellow or green split peas
1/4 t turmeric
1/8 t cayenne pepper
1 T apple cider vinegar
S&P to taste.
1 quart water

Slowly saute the chopped onion and garlic in oil until it begins to take on color, add the split peas, spices and water, bring to a boil and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes until the peas are tender, puree with an immersion blender or conventional blender.

This can be served as is or you can add some additional chopped vegetables or fine noodles and continue cooking until the additional items are cooked to your liking.

A nice recipe for those days when the last thing you want to do is get dressed and make a run to the store! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I think this could also make a reasonable substitute for a vegetarian gravy if the amount of water was cut in half.

Sounds good and also very simple and I love the simplicity of soups. Actually it was one of those cornerstone recipes Id dropped from the arsenal mostly due to my soups always just being like water. So Ill give them another shot with this recipe, cheers.

Split peas I love their texture and I keep meaning to buy them. Shall add to the list for next shop.

Stir fry veg with noodles sprinkled with chopped nuts and seeds

You say you don't like cheese because of its fatty...but how about using a little and when it is combined with other ingredients - as parmesan cheese is in pesto - goes with with pasta.

You don't say whether or not you are a vegetarian. It would be useful to know in terms of solutions offered here. (I was thinking of tuna nicoise salad).

No, no cheese whatsoever! It just causes me too much problems :). So I am absolutist about it now.

No I'm not a vegetarian any more so fire away with the meat offerings so long as they are lean cuts of course :).

Tuna is really healthy but since it has 0 fat Ive found it so hard to make it tasty. It always just ends up like chewing dry cardboard. But I have wanted to find a good recipe for it so I'm all ears.

Oh yes stir fry I do do already. It's a regular one of mine.

I usually do stir fry rice but really enjoy noodles as well just forget to buy them.

Last edited:
Whatever is heavy in saturated fat I define as unhealthy and cheese fits firmly in that category even the 'low fat' ones. It's interesting how many cheese addicts rush to it's defence when I sully its name.

Every single time I buy a block of cheese and work my way through it, a few days after it's done I'll end up with a big spot somewhere on my face. and I never ever get noticeable spots any other time than that now so I don't want it at all.

Good fats, however, I do not skrimp on such as olive oil and fatty fish.

It could also be that your skin issues with cheese may have more to do with dairy sensitivity than any reaction to saturated fat.

I'm not defending cheese per se. But the whole "saturated fat is bad for you" mantra is outdated, and many authorities are now beginning to agree there is no clear link between saturated fat and heart disease.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...fat-experts-question-saturated-fat-guidelines

New Book Makes the Case That Saturated Fat Is Good for You

I've been on a high-fat, low carbohydrate diet for over a year now. A good deal of my daily intake comes from saturated fat, including butter, cheese, and eggs. Rather than clogging my arteries, this so-called "unhealthy" way of eating has resulted in a 90-lb weight loss and the best cholesterol tests I've had in years. It's also completely reversed the adult onset diabetes I was diagnosed with over a year ago.

So healthy means different things to different people. I no longer believe there's any one-size-fits-all model of healthy eating. What works for one doesn't necessarily work for all, and that's why I ask what your definition of healthy is.

Sounds good and also very simple and I love the simplicity of soups. Actually it was one of those cornerstone recipes Id dropped from the arsenal mostly due to my soups always just being like water. So Ill give them another shot with this recipe, cheers.

Split peas I love their texture and I keep meaning to buy them. Shall add to the list for next shop.

I make split pea soup with chicken stock instead of water (or can add some Better than Bouillon or similar), but otherwise mine is about like that. If I have a ham bone, I'll add that when simmering the stock, but it can be made without.

Chili (red chili con carne style) has great flavor, and can be made with lean meat or chicken, or vegetarian with just enough olive oil to sauté some of the veggies.

Cook,
Can you do any dairy?

I have dried skimmed milk with my breakfast cereal. but that is it :).

I do eat eggs now and then since I realised they aren't the high in the saturates. (I will look into the saturated being debunked things because I do follow modern science vs outdated stuff if it is compelling enough but I want to research before stocking up on those high fat cuts :)) and I find them very helpful filler to the week.

I was asking because the symptoms you described fit better with lactose intolerance rather than the fat content.
Now as per food fads, some fat is good for you. A no-fat diet can lead to dryness.
You will find high fat, low fat, no fat diets all endorsed by some doctor or other.
Eggs can be good or bad depending on the number you eat.
Carbs can be touted as good or bad. Though if one eats too much mac and cheese or carrots, one will develop an orange tint.
Beets can dye certain bodily fluids red.
Moderation is the key.
Good luck with your healthy eating.

I was asking because the symptoms you described fit better with lactose intolerance rather than the fat content.
Now as per food fads, some fat is good for you. A no-fat diet can lead to dryness.

Dryness? How does that lead to dryness, by which I assume you mean dehydration?

Some fat is definitely necessary for a healthy diet because vitamins A, D, E and K are fat-soluble, so they need to be accompanied by dietary fat in order for your body to absorb them.

Dryness? How does that lead to dryness, by which I assume you mean dehydration?

Some fat is definitely necessary for a healthy diet because vitamins A, D, E and K are fat-soluble, so they need to be accompanied by dietary fat in order for your body to absorb them.
Dryness in another area. Dry skin too.
One needs a touch of some sort of oil in their diet.

3 easy healthy dishes

Potato and Cabbage soup

1 leek
1 large carrot
1 large onion
2 sticks celery
1/2 head white cabbage
80z mild smoked bacon chopped
1 bouquet garni, or 1 dessertspoon mixed herbs
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
1 tbsp tomato purèe
sour cream to swirl
6 pints homemade stock

This soup is so easy to make it's ridiculous!

Cut the vegetables into large chunks, leaving the potato chunks till a bit later.
Put into the pan with the stock, and cook until soft.
In the meantime, blitz the potato chunks in the food processor until you have a purèe.
When the vegetables are soft and the stock is boiling, add in the raw potato purèe. It will start to thick immediately
Stir constantly until the soup is thickened
Add the sweet paprika.
Add the tomato purèe

To serve, ladle into soup bowls and add a swirl of sour cream and a further dusting of paprika.

Tuna salad

I buy jars of tuna in olive oil, I find the quality better than tinned.

8oz tuna drained
2 raw red capsicums cut into small squares
1 red onion, chopped
1 can cannellini beans, or more to taste
The same weight of fresh tomatoes as you have of capsicums
Fresh parsley - 1 good handful
Lemon juice to taste
A good drizzle of really good olive oil
Salt and black pepper to taste

Toss the ingredients together and serve with a Romaine lettuce garnish. Don't be tempted to add sweet corn, it dulls the flavour, as does mayonnaise.

Salad of Bulghur or couscous with roasted vegetables:

80z dry coucous, re-hydrated with boiling water and a touch of olive oil.

Roasted red capsicums, tomatoes, eggplant, red onion, courgettes and chickpeas.

Large handfuls each of fresh chopped parsley and fresh mint

Good sprinkling of black pepper and salt to taste

Chop the vegetables into bite size chunks and roast in a hot oven
cook the bulghur or couscous according to the instructions on the packet
When cooked, transfer to a large serving dish and add:

The couscous
The roasted vegetables
The chopped herbs

Mix well until the vegetables and couscous are evenly mixed.

Add in the chopped herbs and distribute evenly throught the salad

Add the lemon juice (added to taste) and black pepper.

Leave to amalgamate the flavours for a good couple of hours in the fridge.

Serve with chicken or lamb kebabs, or with falafel.

di reston:yum:

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Quick and easy recipes

I forgot to say that the cabbage and potato soup needs putting through the blender, to produce a creamy soup. Then sprinkle the paprika and a swirl of sour cream before serving.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Back
Top Bottom