"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-21-2015, 10:06 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

What are some easy tasty and healthy meals?

I made nut burgers the other day they were a great success.

I don't eat cheese due to fattyness.

Anyone recommend any other easy cook healthy stuff?

Pasta I really like but it doesnt feel complete without cheese I havent found a good recipe for it yet that I like without cheese.

Curry I have all the time.

I need some new ones.

It feels like every day is a battle to find something to eat (thankfully not literally :P). Somehow my menu is never full enough that I have enough reliable dishes I can make them without thinking for a whole week.

Old 11-21-2015, 10:11 AM   #2
Wine Guy

First, define "healthy".

I would argue that fatty cheese is healthier for you than pasta, but that's probably just me.

Old 11-21-2015, 10:27 AM   #3
Master Chef

I have been experimenting with this simple, almost free, soup recipe. I found the original recipe in an old copy of "Laurel's Kitchen" and have modified it to suit my own tastes, I encourage you to do the same.

Golden Broth

1 medium onion roughly chopped
1 fat clove of garlic chopped
1T oil
1/4 cup yellow or green split peas
1/4 t turmeric
1/8 t cayenne pepper
1 T apple cider vinegar
S&P to taste.
1 quart water

Slowly saute the chopped onion and garlic in oil until it begins to take on color, add the split peas, spices and water, bring to a boil and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes until the peas are tender, puree with an immersion blender or conventional blender.

This can be served as is or you can add some additional chopped vegetables or fine noodles and continue cooking until the additional items are cooked to your liking.

A nice recipe for those days when the last thing you want to do is get dressed and make a run to the store!

I think this could also make a reasonable substitute for a vegetarian gravy if the amount of water was cut in half.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:43 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'm a big fan of soups: split pea, beef barley, chicken noodle or rice, wild rice mushroom, Tom Kha with coconut milk, clam chowdah, pasta y fagioli, you get the picture. I make good sized batches and freeze half. I usually start with chicken or beef stock, add vegetables and meat, maybe a starch.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:56 AM   #5
Head Chef

Stir fry veg with noodles sprinkled with chopped nuts and seeds

You say you don't like cheese because of its fatty...but how about using a little and when it is combined with other ingredients - as parmesan cheese is in pesto - goes with with pasta.

You don't say whether or not you are a vegetarian. It would be useful to know in terms of solutions offered here. (I was thinking of tuna nicoise salad).
Old 11-21-2015, 01:51 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
First, define "healthy".

I would argue that fatty cheese is healthier for you than pasta, but that's probably just me.
Whatever is heavy in saturated fat I define as unhealthy and cheese fits firmly in that category even the 'low fat' ones. It's interesting how many cheese addicts rush to it's defence when I sully its name.

Every single time I buy a block of cheese and work my way through it, a few days after it's done I'll end up with a big spot somewhere on my face. and I never ever get noticeable spots any other time than that now so I don't want it at all.

Good fats, however, I do not skrimp on such as olive oil and fatty fish.

Old 11-21-2015, 01:55 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I have been experimenting with this simple, almost free, soup recipe. I found the original recipe in an old copy of "Laurel's Kitchen" and have modified it to suit my own tastes, I encourage you to do the same.

Golden Broth

1 medium onion roughly chopped
1 fat clove of garlic chopped
1T oil
1/4 cup yellow or green split peas
1/4 t turmeric
1/8 t cayenne pepper
1 T apple cider vinegar
S&P to taste.
1 quart water

Slowly saute the chopped onion and garlic in oil until it begins to take on color, add the split peas, spices and water, bring to a boil and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes until the peas are tender, puree with an immersion blender or conventional blender.

This can be served as is or you can add some additional chopped vegetables or fine noodles and continue cooking until the additional items are cooked to your liking.

A nice recipe for those days when the last thing you want to do is get dressed and make a run to the store!

I think this could also make a reasonable substitute for a vegetarian gravy if the amount of water was cut in half.
Sounds good and also very simple and I love the simplicity of soups. Actually it was one of those cornerstone recipes Id dropped from the arsenal mostly due to my soups always just being like water. So Ill give them another shot with this recipe, cheers.

Split peas I love their texture and I keep meaning to buy them. Shall add to the list for next shop.

Old 11-21-2015, 01:59 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Stir fry veg with noodles sprinkled with chopped nuts and seeds

You say you don't like cheese because of its fatty...but how about using a little and when it is combined with other ingredients - as parmesan cheese is in pesto - goes with with pasta.

You don't say whether or not you are a vegetarian. It would be useful to know in terms of solutions offered here. (I was thinking of tuna nicoise salad).
No, no cheese whatsoever! It just causes me too much problems :). So I am absolutist about it now.

No I'm not a vegetarian any more so fire away with the meat offerings so long as they are lean cuts of course :).

Tuna is really healthy but since it has 0 fat Ive found it so hard to make it tasty. It always just ends up like chewing dry cardboard. But I have wanted to find a good recipe for it so I'm all ears.

Oh yes stir fry I do do already. It's a regular one of mine.

I usually do stir fry rice but really enjoy noodles as well just forget to buy them.
Old 11-21-2015, 02:19 PM   #9
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook4984 View Post
Whatever is heavy in saturated fat I define as unhealthy and cheese fits firmly in that category even the 'low fat' ones. It's interesting how many cheese addicts rush to it's defence when I sully its name.

Every single time I buy a block of cheese and work my way through it, a few days after it's done I'll end up with a big spot somewhere on my face. and I never ever get noticeable spots any other time than that now so I don't want it at all.

Good fats, however, I do not skrimp on such as olive oil and fatty fish.
It could also be that your skin issues with cheese may have more to do with dairy sensitivity than any reaction to saturated fat.

I'm not defending cheese per se. But the whole "saturated fat is bad for you" mantra is outdated, and many authorities are now beginning to agree there is no clear link between saturated fat and heart disease.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/...fat-guidelines

New Book Makes the Case That Saturated Fat Is Good for You

I've been on a high-fat, low carbohydrate diet for over a year now. A good deal of my daily intake comes from saturated fat, including butter, cheese, and eggs. Rather than clogging my arteries, this so-called "unhealthy" way of eating has resulted in a 90-lb weight loss and the best cholesterol tests I've had in years. It's also completely reversed the adult onset diabetes I was diagnosed with over a year ago.

So healthy means different things to different people. I no longer believe there's any one-size-fits-all model of healthy eating. What works for one doesn't necessarily work for all, and that's why I ask what your definition of healthy is.
Old 11-21-2015, 02:36 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Cook,
Can you do any dairy?

Tags
healthy, meals, health, easy