"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-08-2011, 04:48 AM   #21
Assistant Cook

If you have a slow cooker (crock pot), you can put everything you want in it in the morning and enjoy it at supper time. Average cooking time is 8 - 10 hours. There are many crock pot recipe books available.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:20 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Mousaka. It's got meat, potatoes, and vegis and it's delicious.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:15 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

we love to use leftover roast beef or pot roast diced potatoes diced onion salt and pepper at times turnips or carrots put in store bought pie pastry and close into a hlf moon seal and brush with butter or egg wash bake and devour pasties alone and at room temp or hot with a nice crisp green salad with avocado and green apple.
kadesma
Old 03-09-2011, 06:38 AM   #24
Master Chef

Tax lady, you got me. I was just looking at this line and was going to suggest New England Boiled Dinner. When Mom and Dad married (57 years ago), that was the only thing they knew how to cook. It was our regular Thursday night meal most of my growing up time. Root vegetables, Mom usually made ours with beef marrow bones, but ham or corned beef or even a chicken. Whatever was on sale at the commisary.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:41 AM   #25
Master Chef

Another favorite was a sort of version of shepherd's pie. Seasoned ground beef at the bottom of a casserole dish, then a layer of mashed potatoes, then a can of creamed corn. Not really a one-dish meal I guess. Stuffed hot dogs.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:12 AM   #26
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68
Another way to make boiled dinner: boil a ham for a few hours, then boil carrots, potatoes, onion and cabbage in the liquid. The liquid can also be poured over the potatoes after you mash them. It could also be thickened into gravy, I suppose.

One of my favorite one dish recipes is pizza pot pie. This one was passed down from my great grandma. No clue where she got it.

1 can crescent rolls
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 8 oz can pizza sauce
1 can mushrooms (or use fresh)
1 can French style green beans
1 medium onion
1 lb ground beef
1 egg, beaten
8 oz shredded cheddar

Brown ground beef with chopped onion, drain. Meanwhile, arrange crescent roll dough into a pie pan to create a crust. Press seams together. Add green beans, soup, pizza sauce, and mushrooms to ground beef and bring to a boil. Pour egg into crust and swish around, then discard (keeps crust from getting soggy). Pour in ground beef mixture. Bake on 350 for 45-50 min. Top with shredded cheese, put back in oven til cheese melts. Let cool for ten min.
Omg I tried this recipe with pepperjack instead of cheddar, and it is to die for... Making it that way from now on!
Old 03-09-2011, 11:07 AM   #27
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama View Post
I made a chicken stew with drop dumplings the other night. The dumplings consisted of 2 cups of all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon of baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 cup of milk (heated in the microwave for 1 minute)and 3 tablespoons of melted butter.

Here's a pic:
I was in a truck stop in southern Indiana when I ordered chicken and dumplings. Imagine my surprise when I got what looked to me like noodle soup. I was told that in the south dumplings are made flat like noodles (so who can tell the difference between those dumplings and noodle?). So I thought that drop dumplings were not something typically eaten in the south. But I see that you are from Georgia so obviously my perceptions were wrong.