What are Twinkies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shaheen

Senior Cook
i saw something on tv about twinkies. what exactly are they? i guess i don't know because i'm not from the USA. how can i make them from scratch at home?

Twinkies are made by Hostess here in the states. It is a small tubular yellow cake with white filling. I found this recipe that seems to be close to it.
http://www.recipegoldmine.com/namebrand/namebrand41.html

this is a Hostess Twinkie
img_260831_0_5c6b9240785f22aeb96cf8eeb602be8f.jpg

They are about 4 inches long.

Last edited:
This is one of two things I can never eat a whole one ..... otherwise my stomach gets really upset. The other thing is 3 Muskateers. Not sure why its just these 2 things. I like the flavors but avoid buying either of them because of the whole waste thing and no one else cares for either in this house.

shaheen05 said:
i saw something on tv about twinkies. what exactly are they? i guess i don't know because i'm not from the USA. how can i make them from scratch at home?

If you pm me your address, I will mail you some Twinkies. They have about 10 year shelf life - so you'll get to taste them as they are sold here in the US.

:-p

shaheen05 said:
how can i make them from scratch at home?
I'm not sure there is any actual food content in a twinkie, just polyurethene, and preservatives.

SizzlininIN said:
This is one of two things I can never eat a whole one ..... otherwise my stomach gets really upset. The other thing is 3 Muskateers. Not sure why its just these 2 things. I like the flavors but avoid buying either of them because of the whole waste thing and no one else cares for either in this house.

Poor Sizzlin! Those are my two favorite junkfoods! I only get them after Halloween, though, from leftover treats. I don't keep that sort of thing around the house.

Twinkies, you either love them or you hate them or you love them and you can't digest them. They just seem to sit in my stomach like I ate a cement brick. Although I do love a good frozen twinkie. A guy at work told me that is how he likes them and I tried it. It is just a little more excitint to eat a frozen twinkie rather than one right out of the box.

Constance said:
Poor Sizzlin! Those are my two favorite junkfoods! I only get them after Halloween, though, from leftover treats. I don't keep that sort of thing around the house.

Thanks Const............buy I think my butt and thighs are more thankful I can't :LOL:

Twinkies were invented down the street from me...

I was reading an article in the paper last weekend that had some stuff about twinies. I just looked for it, but couldn't find it.

They were developed because some kind of pan wasn't used other than in the summer, and it made use of it.
They originally had a banana filling, but in WWII a banana shortage caused them to use the vanilla filling and never switched back.

And contrary to popular belief, they have a pretty short designated shelf-life (I want to say its around a month), but I doubt anyone eats them that fresh.

marmar said:
. . . And contrary to popular belief, they have a pretty short designated shelf-life (I want to say its around a month), but I doubt anyone eats them that fresh.

They don't have a shelf life, they have a half-life. they may go stale, but I'd be willing to bet they don't go bad.

Toots said:
If you pm me your address, I will mail you some Twinkies. They have about 10 year shelf life - so you'll get to taste them as they are sold here in the US.

:-p

Twinkies don't have a shelf life. They have a half life! :yuk:

DH use to like them with Strawberries on top. He can't have anything with wheat now (flour) so :) the temptation is gone....for me.

shaheen05 said:

Hi shaeen05, Thanks for the post, I have not laughed so hard for a couple of days. Believe me, you do not want to try to made these things, it would be a waste of time and chemicals. Twinkies are not really food, and I would think the shelf life/half time would be at LEAST 10 years,

I hope the person will send you a few to sample so you can see what we are talking about

Here are the ingrediants in the twinkie:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
  • Enriched Wheat Flour - enriched with ferrous sulphate (iron), B vitamins (niacin, thiamine mononitrate [B1], ribofavin [B12] and folic acid).
  • Sugar
  • Corn syrup
  • Water
  • High fructose corn syrup
  • Vegetable and/or animal shortening - containing one or more of partially hydrogenated soybean, cottonseed or canola oil, and beef fat.
  • Dextrose
  • Whole eggs
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]They also contain 2% or less of these ingrediants:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
  • Modified corn starch
  • Cellulose gum
  • Whey
  • Leavenings (sodium acid pyrophosphate, baking soda, monocalcium phosphate)
  • Salt
  • Cornstarch
  • Corn flour
  • Corn syrup solids
  • Mono and diglycerides
  • Soy lecithin
  • Polysorbate 60
  • Dextrin
  • Calcium caseinate
  • Sodium stearol lactylate
  • Wheat gluten
  • Calcium sulphate
  • Natural and artificial flavours
  • Caramel colour
  • Sorbic acid (to retain freshness)
  • Colour added (yellow 5, red 40)
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]Well there ya go... the wonderful twinkie. What would America be without it? maybe better?

Back
Top Bottom