"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-15-2004, 01:58 AM   #11
Sous Chef

We normally do a themed Christmas, whether by cuisine or something else. This Christmas Day it is salads. Unusual perhaps, but we will see how it goes.

At the moment looking at 3-4 salads, including:
- Warm Chicken Salad with Pistachios and Grapefruit
- Salad of Figs, Prosciutto, Mozarella and Basil
- Salad of Pancetta, Poached Egg, Salad Greens and Parmesan

As well as some little tapas/mezze style munchees such as Arancini (rice balls with blue cheese filling, coated in breadcrumbs and fried), grilled/marinated capsicums and semi-dried tomatoes, felafel etc.

As for desserts I'm thinking of doing 2:
- Strawberry Jelly and Vanilla Bavarois

as for the other one I am still undecided, maybe a nice sorbet, or something hot to contrast with the colder meals (although when you looking at about 35-40'C on Christmas Day, hot stuff isn't the best) or perhaps even a Mandarin, Caramel Sauce and Shaved Chocolate Salad to keep the salad theme going.

Old 12-15-2004, 02:12 AM   #12
Master Chef

Christmas morning we usually have scrambled eggs with English muffins, sausage, etc. or buttermilk pancakes with sausage or bacon. Then we have something light for lunch: cheese, salami, and crackers, salsa and tortilla chips, bean dip, etc. Then we are having ham, scalloped potatoes, green salad, fruit salad, bread, etc. for dinner.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 03:54 AM   #13
Head Chef

Our focus this year is on brunch. Mimosas, strata, waffles, potatoes, fruit bowl and a yummy almond pastry are the for-sures so far.

;)
Z
Old 12-15-2004, 06:06 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Haggis, your meal sounds unique and delicious! Love the dessert salad idea.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:34 AM   #15
Executive Chef

We're having roast goose this year (I tend to alternate with turkey and goose!)

Starters - we usually don't bother as the main course at a British Christmas lunch usually overstuffs us anyway!

Goose
Roast potatoes
Roast parsnips
Game chips

Glazed carrots
Brussel sprouts
Petit pois (frozen!)
Cauliflower

Bread sauce

Lots of gravy

Followed by

Flambeed Christmas pudding served with cream or brandy butter

In the evening we usually just 'nibble' at a Cheese board, for those brave enough, served with home-made oatcakes and Jacobs crackers for cheese, with celery sticks and olives and grapes... the cheeses on offer will include

Stilton
Wensleydale
Caerphilly
Dunlop
Stinking Bishop
Cheddar from the Isle of Mull
Camembert
Danish Blue
Brie - very ripe!
St Agur
Boursin
and a German smoked cheese

Any cheeses left will be finished off in the week between Christmas and Hogmanay - or at our usual Hogmanay celebrations.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:21 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Ishbel, I've always wanted to visit Scotland - if you invite me for that wonderful Christmas dinner, I'd have the excuse i need to come on over! Sounds heavenly - especially the cheeses!

Just a side note, my oldest son did a tour of Europe during college - he spent three months, and visited most every country with the exception of Portugal and Bosnia! His absolute #1 favorite country was Scotland - he fell in love with it!
Old 12-15-2004, 05:11 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Well, I cook enough for a regiment, Marmalady - so there'd be plenty for you!

I love cheeses, but limit myself for most of the year - except for visits to France, when I cannot resist just a leeeeeetle slice off the edge of whatever the restaurant has on their cheeseboard (Well, OK, it's more than a little edge.... 8)

Scotland has many fine cheeses. I've eaten Cheddar from the 'real' Cheddar, in Somerset - and I'm very fond of Davidstow Cheddar, but the very best, in my opinion, is cheddar from the Isle of Mull... Dunlop, too is a nice cheese.

Scotland really is a great country. We have a rich history and culture - and our cuisine ain't all that bad, either - as I think I've tried to show on this site with some of my family recipes I can certainly see why your son would fall in love with my home city. Edinburgh has so much to offer, from fairytale castles like Edinburgh Castle and Holyrood Palace, to the glorious Georgian 'New Town' (from the early 1700s!)
Old 12-16-2004, 02:21 AM   #18
Sous Chef

Thank you Mudbug, I am looking forward to it making and eating them all :).

I just have my fingers crossed that I can find some good figs (or any figs for that matter) around Sydney. Good ones are hard to come by and all figs are rather expensive here :(.

Unfourtunately I probably won't be able to lay my grubby little hands on some buffalo mozzarella either, was very much looking forward to perfect white, smooth delicious balls of creaminess. Will have to settle for regular kind, ah well, can't have it all.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:30 AM   #19

OOOOOH!

Ishbel, Wensleydale cheese, with a really good port wine...it just doesn't get any better as an after dinner thing....

Thanks for this "memory jog"!

Lifter
Old 12-16-2004, 06:45 AM   #20
Executive Chef

You're welcome. I love the variety of British cheeses!

Double Gloucester, Lancashire, various goats' cheeses, ewes milk cheeses, Scottish crowdie Sage Derbyshire etc....

And the varieties of European cheeses available here in every supermarket is also a great plus.... I love French cheeses, anything from Roquefort to St Agur.