What are your favorite Costco items/deals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes - that's how we got our huge-screen tv. And for about $700+ less than it was being sold anywhere else.

Our main staples are:
San Pellegrino water
Parm
Olive oil
Black Pepper corns
Lemons (for limoncello)
San Marzano tomatoes

once in a while we will get other items if the price is better than the grocery, Penn Dutch or other stores:
Meat
Seafood
books
electronics
wine

I get a chuckle at what I'm sure is impulse buying and the "lunch on their dime" folks, eating all the samples.:LOL:

Oh yes - I also buy large containers of frequently-used spices there - Kirkland Brand Telicherry Black Peppercorns, McCormick Monterey Chicken Grilling Mix, McCormick ground cumin, coriander, white sesame seeds, etc., etc., - anything I use a lot of.

It's worth a trip to Costco just for their fabulous lamb chops. They are out of this world good and look like little Porterhouse Steaks. :yum:

img_1137879_0_b7831767149974614846549eabdd4736.jpg

Yes, super deals can found frequently in big screen tv's. But sometimes it's difficult to do a direct model to model comparison against other retailers because model numbers assigned to Costco differ slightly. Some or many models sold through Costco are unique, or slightly different, feature-wise. Regardless, you'll always get a good deal.
Plus, depending on membership level, the annual dividend check you receive from them more than pay itself in membership dues. Good deal all around.
I love their return/refund policy as well.

Oh, and although U.S. owned it it weren't for China there will be no Costco.

Last edited:
MEAT!!!

I can't walk out of Costco without dropping a couple hundred bucks on things ranging from underwear to salad greens. However, I do make these shopping trips with one thing in mind, and that is to buy meat that I can cut and process at home so that I am stocked for several months.

Saves a LOT of money when comparing the price of individual grocery store cuts, AND after being in the restaurant business for 25 years, Costco certainly does measure up in quality to food service wholesale.

Last edited:
I, too seldom leave Costco for less than a couple hundred.

My list:

Bacon
Italian sausage
Garlic
Yeast
Butter
Coffee
Whole prime or high choice strips and ribeyes
Those luscious lamb chops
Pork tenders and chops
Wine

Last edited:
Costco: No Mediterranean Stores to my knowledge

:( To my knowledge there are no Costco Stores in Spain or Italy.

There is MAKRO however, this store is for restaurateurs and bar owners. We have friends who take me during the Christmas Season. MAKRO also sells: electronics, appliances and kitchen culinary accessories and tools.

:) The other difference is we have a Central Market every few streets, and thus, we can buy all fresh, as it is a Farmer´s and Rancher´s Market; vegetables, fruits, herbs, beans from the Oak Barrel weighed on scale, meats, fresh daily catch, poultry / fowl etcetra ...

Nothing is wrapped in plastic ...

Have nice wkend.
Margi. :)

Last edited:
I bought a 22" hdtv at Costco but the big one (52") was purchased online at a great price and included some extras other places charged for. I've also bought a 46" Hitachi from Sam's Club. Another great deal.

Kirkland Brand toilet paper

We watched a show recently on CNBC about Costco and the testing they put in to the TP is amazing.

The show really was interesting, an inside view of how they do things and why they do certain things, like the 360 pill bottle of Advil.

I forgot to mention my fav costco items, cookbooks!

I bought 4 over the last few years: food of Spain by Claudia Rodan, a book on curries, and 2 from the food of series: Asia and the Mediterranean. Every time I browse the books.

Kirkland branded toilet paper is good for home use. We use them.
For business we buy the Marathon branded toilet paper, also at Costco.

Kirkland branded paper plates rule our kitchen.

I bought a 22" hdtv at Costco but the big one (52") was purchased online at a great price and included some extras other places charged for. I've also bought a 46" Hitachi from Sam's Club. Another great deal.

I am glad you had a good experience buying without seeing! I was totally set on getting this one TV and when i finally saw in the store it was the worst picture of the bunch. I am not brave enough to try that again.

I am glad you had a good experience buying without seeing! I was totally set on getting this one TV and when i finally saw in the store it was the worst picture of the bunch. I am not brave enough to try that again.

I did a lot of research before buying the 52" TV. I found the Sony to be the highest rated so I shopped for the best price for that model number. That was 4 years ago and it's still going strong.

It's worth a trip to Costco just for their fabulous lamb chops. They are out of this world good and look like little Porterhouse Steaks. :yum:

img_1138192_0_b7831767149974614846549eabdd4736.jpg

I'm a fan of lamb leg chops, but I have to buy $55 for a whole leg and have them cut up (no room in freezer to store that many). Lamb leg center chops never show up on my grocers shelves anymore. I've noticed that the kind of lamb chop in your picture is what most major stores sell now. Can you tip me on how to cook them? They seem so thick. Do you broil or pan fry them or what? And btw, those from Costco look bigger than the tiny ones from Vons, Ralphs, or Albertsons, Safeway etc. The ones from those stores almost are appetizer size.

Last edited:
I did a lot of research before buying the 52" TV. I found the Sony to be the highest rated so I shopped for the best price for that model number. That was 4 years ago and it's still going strong.

Yes, my husband did/does the same thing. Does a LOT of online research before making any purchases online or in-store.

I love their meat, good quality. I buy on a regular basis:

Fillet Steaks
Pork tenderloins (cheap as chips!)
Chicken thighs
Foil cooking trays
Disposable catering gloves (I dont mess up my manicured nails!)
Kitchen Roll
Salmon - frozen portions (very generous sizes)
Big chunky fresh tuna steaks
Chilean wine
Lindemans 65 wine

I used to get Martha Stewarts Living mag but they dont stock it any more, hard to get it here and I love Martha.

There is also this 6 or 8 pak of Tilapia that I get once in awhile too. The fish holds up well to freezing, so I wrap them in 2s when I get home. I am not much of a fish eater, but this mild white fish is great for a nice blackened fish dish with fruit salsa.

I'm a fan of lamb leg chops, but I have to buy $55 for a whole leg and have them cut up (no room in freezer to store that many). Lamb leg center chops never show up on my grocers shelves anymore. I've noticed that the kind of lamb chop in your picture is what most major stores sell now. Can you tip me on how to cook them? They seem so thick. Do you broil or pan fry them or what? And btw, those from Costco look bigger than the tiny ones from Vons, Ralphs, or Albertsons, Safeway etc. The ones from those stores almost are appetizer size.

I pan fry them in my CI skillet Caslon. Because they are so thick, I brown them on all five sides in the skillet and finish the cooking for just a couple of minutes in a hot oven. We prefer our lamb quite pink so it doesn't take long.
You are so right......the lamb chops like these in our grocery are itty bitty, not like Costco's. We serve two per person, and with sides it's a wonderful dinner. :yum:

img_1138304_0_70d8d7bb7dfe05af13dfa81caa37974d.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom