"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-11-2012, 10:35 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
and just how much do you claim the turobo tax software cost you when taking a deduction for tax preparation costs when adjusting your gross income?

hmmm... hmmmm?
I have receipts. Honest, I do.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:48 PM   #12
Half Baked

I guess I forgot the diapers,wipes and formula! Thank god we are not doing the formula anymore! That stuff will eat furniture finsh like nothing else not to mention the cost!

I buy my ink cartridges online. They never have the exact one I need.

How much is the Jasmine rice? Sounds like a steal. I love Jasmine rice!

I saw some blueberry coated goat cheese today that looked good.I will try it next time. I can't tell you how many times I bought cheeses at the super only to find them amonniated when I opend them. That hasn't happened yet at Costco.

We also get all our paper goods there too.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:53 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Dang it to heck! You are upping my Costco envy, 4me! July! We too shall reap the bounties of Costco!
Old 05-11-2012, 10:58 PM   #14
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

A carton of canned tomatoes will last us 6 months. I also get the 28-pack of V8 12 oz cans, that lasts us about two months. Shrek likes Perrier water, it's cheapest by the case at Costco. I try to stay away from the bakery, 1. the two of us can't eat that much and 2. we shouldn't be eating it to begin with.

Most meat packages are too big, every once in a while I'll get a side of salmon for myself. I portion it, cook it and freeze in individual servings for work.

Paper products, Brita Filters. The Costco in Spokane had cases of toasted seaweed snacks and my boss picked one up for me.

I love Costco. I can spend all day in there...but only if I am by myself.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:01 PM   #15
Half Baked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Dang it to heck! You are upping my Costco envy, 4me! July! We too shall receive the bounties of Costco!
It has a place in my shopping cart but I don't buy alot of things there.
Meat and produce I do better shopping the supers and i think the quality is better for the produce. The meat is a little better at costco but I would be paying full retail all the time for it.

They do awesome deals on TV's and appliances and tons of other things though. Cameras,vacuums,Tools,pots and pans etc.

Did I mention the dried baby coconut!!!!! Oh Yeah!

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:11 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

It's painful to read this thread. I so want a Costco!
Old 05-12-2012, 10:35 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

We have a BJ's account, but it's pretty much the same. Among some other things, I like to get roasted red peppers, pine nuts and capers. We eat them all the time and they cost a fortune for small jars in regular grocery stores.

When meats are on sale in our grocery stores, they're usually less than the price of BJ's, though. We don't have the space to store lots of paper goods, but we do like to get electronics there.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I love that I can get 1 liter bottles of decent extra virgin olive oil for a great price at BJ's usually around $7-8 per bottle. I am using a really nice single origin Spanish olive oil right now, in the past I've gotten Sicilian olive oil for that low price.

They sell through olive oil pretty fast so I know it hasn't been sitting there forever.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #19
Senior Cook

We're hard-core long-time Costco regulars - like from back in the days when it was called "Price Club". Have yet to purchase anything from their own "Kirkland" brand line that hasn't been excellent.

Items we buy regularly & from nowhere else:

Kirkland Brand toilet paper
Kirkland Brand paper towels
Scoopaway cat litter
Kirkland Brand marinated artichoke hearts - gallon jar
Filippo Berio Extra-Virgin Olive Oil by the gallon
Various nuts, some Kirkland brand - pistachios, cashews, mixed nuts
Kirkland Brand various dried fruit & "trail" mixes
Large bags of dried Shitake mushrooms
Contact lenses

Items we buy frequently or when we have a taste for them:

Kirkland Brand Marinara Sauce - 3 quart-size jars to a package
Castella Brand "Greek Meze" - a quart of pitted green & Kalamata olives with pepperoncini peppers & feta cheese in a nicely-seasoned oil marinade
Various fresh cheeses
Various fresh pastas
Gold's Brand cocktail sauce - quart jar
Various frozen ravioli (there's a brand filled with spinach & parmesan that's fabulous!)
Various frozen potsticker dumplings
Various frozen snack/appetizer-type items - nice to have on hand, & all have been good
Fresh "take-home-&-bake" pizzas
Fresh whole rotisserie chickens - their own rotisserie chickens are the best of any I've tried from local markets. Crisp-skinned, moist/juicy, & flavorful.
5-pound sacks of multicolored (blue,yellow,red) tiny baby new potatoes at nearly the same price I pay for a 1-pound bag at the supermarket
Avocados
Various fresh fruit

Once in awhile purchases:

Books
DVDs
CDs
Jeans & other casual clothing
Small appliances (rice cooker, Keurig coffeemaker, pasta machine, indoor rotisserie, etc., etc. Our Panasonic microwave came from "Price Club" back in 1994 & is still going strong!)
House & garden plants
Fresh flowers (long-stem roses are always available in a number of colors - not just "red" - & normally last at least a week & a half!!)
Wine

Oh, & we also got our gorgeous huge-screen tv there at a steal of a price. In fact, I'd have to say that probably 99% of the electrical/audio/video equipment in our home came from Costco.

Since they're always adding new items, we're always finding new favorites, so it's hard to remember everything, but I'm guessing you can tell that we're big fans. :)
Old 05-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #20
Master Chef

They also regularly put on sale many items through their mailers. You can get huge discounts on big ticket items. We recently purchases an outdoor playset for the grandkids which was $300 off reg low price, and that included free delivery right into the back yard.