What are your food OCD issues?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bossman150

Cook
For example, there are certain foods that I simply cannot eat without the corresponding side. I don't mean I prefer them together, I mean I won't/can't eat them.

There are several foods I can't eat without cottage cheese. Beans & wieners, tater tot casserole & cheeseburger hamburger helper. With my mother's meatloaf its boxed au gratin potatoes. Not scalloped, cheesy or even homemade, it has to be the boxed au gratin.

Now there are lots of other foods that I like together, but the above are the only ones that HAVE to go together. I am not sure exactly why, some of it is that I am OCD, some is nostalgia but also they just don't taste right if not together.

Anybody else?

Larry doesn't eat steak.

I always forget to count when following the "5 second rule". Then I lay awake at night worrying if I'm going to die.

Egg salad sandwiches Must have a layer of potato chips on top of the egg salad. Ice berg lettuce is not enough. I think it's because there was a running plot between my mother and the grade school lunch ladies to see who could accidentally add a few bits of egg shell. Every time. I seem to need potato chips with sloppy joes too, although it's possible to imagine I could survive without them.

Last edited:
I used to be a bit odd over Green Eggs and Ham, but my friend Sam helped me with that.

Seriously, I can't think of anything I MUST have.

I do suffer from OCD in a variety of serious ways. I understand the intent of the thread and am not freaking out.

I need my eggs cooked over smashed and nothing running. Do you know that one of the easiest ways to tick off a cook is to order eggs benedict with hard cooked poached eggs?

I no longer eat much meat and no beef; however, when I did, it had to be pink - not rare, not well done, but a nice pink.

Don't get me started on vegetables and fruit! ;)

As far as eating something with something else, I am pretty much okay. Oh, except for perogies. They have to be boiled, not fried and served with onion sauteed in butter and sour creme. I have cooked them not realizing I don't have butter or sour creme and put them in the fridge to nuke when I have the condiments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtS46Wfsxnw

Ya can't have one without the other! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Peanut butter and jelly.

Apple crisp with vanilla ice cream.

Hot dogs and hamburgers belong on a bun and not on sandwich bread.

Hamburgers really need to be cheeseburgers.

Applesauce with pork chops.

Brownies with walnuts.

Pancakes with sausage.

Mincemeat pie with a slice of sharp cheddar cheese.

and on and on and on.

Last edited:
Not really an OCD issue, falls more under the ' Things that annoy me"

1) seeing people eating a slice of pizza with a fork and knife. ( Drives me crazy)
2) When my wife only needs a little piece of onion, so she cuts it off from the root side instead of the stem side.
3) When my mom, no matter how many times Ive told her over the past 40 + years to take her veggies out of the plastic bags when she puts them away in the fridge or else they will rot. To this day, when i visit her, I have to go through her fridge and throw out all the rotten produce.

Not really an OCD issue, falls more under the ' Things that annoy me"

1) seeing people eating a slice of pizza with a fork and knife. ( Drives me crazy)
2) When my wife only needs a little piece of onion, so she cuts it off from the root side instead of the stem side.
3) When my mom, no matter how many times Ive told her over the past 40 + years to take her veggies out of the plastic bags when she puts them away in the fridge or else they will rot. To this day, when i visit her, I have to go through her fridge and throw out all the rotten produce.

Ever had a "slice" of Chicago deep dish?:LOL:

This thread reminds me of a couple of my adult daughters' OCD things. :) Younger daughter doesn't like food 'touching' each other on the plate and will only eat one thing at a time. Older daughter will not gnaw meat off of bones - it has to be cut off. Yep, this includes fried chicken and ribs. :rolleyes::LOL:

Back
Top Bottom