What booze do you keep in your pantry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whole milk

Senior Cook
I'm going to the market tomorrow and I figure I'll stock my kitchen liquor cabinet while I'm shopping. I was curious, what kinds of alcohol do you think belong in a well stocked kitchen and how do you use it/them?

For me, I always have:

Grande Marnier and some kind of strawberry liquor for desserts and fruits
Dry Vermouth for deglazing
Cognac for stocks and sauces
Rum for flavour.

(Also, I have some Marc I bought for Beef Burgundy a while back but I never use it. Any suggestions on how?)

I'm going to the market tomorrow and I figure I'll stock my kitchen liquor cabinet while I'm shopping. I was curious, what kinds of alcohol do you think belong in a well stocked kitchen and how do you use it/them?

For me, I always have:

Grande Marnier and some kind of strawberry liquor for desserts and fruits
Dry Vermouth for deglazing
Cognac for stocks and sauces
Rum for flavour.

(Also, I have some Marc I bought for Beef Burgundy a while back but I never use it. Any suggestions on how?)

:) Vermouth
Brandy
Sherry
Port
Grand Marnier
Apple Brandy
Kalua
Amarula
Amaretto
Baileys

I use sake in my stir frys. I just grab something from the bar usually. Applejack & Bourbon for BBQ mops and sauces. Wines. Cognac and brandy for sauces or stews. Port wine. Frangelica, vanilla ice cream and crushed biscotti parfais. Everything I use is available for cocktails.

Edit: Oh, the DW uses vodka in some of her pastries.

img_594962_0_22e23c73cabc36bd78d8ea5e77461ac9.jpg

I don't like dry wines, so I've started buying the small 4-packs of dry red and white wines to keep on hand for deglazing.

I usually have some Chambord in the kitchen, but I don't cook with it
10.gif
:cool:

Brandy for sangria.

I'm guessing Marc is a red wine? You could use it for deglazing after searing a steak or pork chops and make a pan sauce.

I forgot to add beer to my list. i keep it on hand for drinking, but I do cook with it from time to time.

Beer
Whiskey
Vermouth
Cognac
Brandy
Tequilia
Vodka
Dark Rum
Port
Sherry
Marsala
Bitters
Sauturn
Zin
and I am sure there are more...the pantry and bar are the same to me.

Brandy
Rum
Tequila (most of the time it's gone before I know it)

Red and white wines are kept in our hutch cellar and in the fridge.

Vermouth, Vodka, Grand Marnier, Baileys, Kahlua and Frangelico as well as a fruit liqueur.

I'm guessing Marc is a red wine?
Marc is distilled from grape must. It is more of a brandy... and is often clear or pale yellow. another word for fire water! Generally costs more than the stuff I usually deglaze with. ;)

Dry Marsala
Fino Sherry
Tawny and Ruby Ports
brandy
dry vermouth
Cointreau
Sercial Madeira
Pernod

Last edited:
Does anyone use beer alot for cooking...If so, what kinds do you usually like the most??

If you're following a recipe, I would stick with the author's suggestion. Otherwise, use whatever you drink. I use some sort of an Octoberfest (when available) for brats, otherwise it's Becks or Coronas. There's a Guinness thread somewhere here too. Need to get a couple of those yet.

Beer
Whiskey
Shiraz
Red Wine
Vodka
Sherry

In answer to JPolito, I do use beer a fair amount. Beer batter, boiling brats and polish in beer and onions, stuff like that. Most of the time it is a cheap beer like Bud or preferablely MGD. If I can afford it, a nice Red Stout or Pale Ale like Sam Adams does it for me.

For cooking/baking:

Red wine, white wine, brandy, bourbon, gin, Pernod, scotch, dark ales, vodka, tequilla.

Any liquor such as GMarnier, Kahluah, Frangelico, Cassis to name a few.

I assume you mean in the cooking pantry, and not in the bar.....

For cooking I have
Sauternes
Burgundy
Sherry
Marsala
Bourbon
Rum - light, dark, gold and spiced
brandy - several fruity varieties and others not
triple sec
tia maria
anisette
whiskey
amaretto
limoncello
champagne
banana liqueor
vodka
cinnamon schnapps
godiva
baily's
frangelico
several beer varieties
port

I'm pretty sure that's it

Every year for I don't know how many years - a lot - I would spend A$100 on my liquour cupboard, mainly on the fancy alcohols that you need for that ONE cocktail, like Parfait Amour. It would also include spirits that were not my main tipple. So when it comes to cooking, I look thru that in addition to the wine, sherry and port that is always in the house before making a decision. Don't cook with alcohol much but generally it is covered by the wine and sherry but have the bar to fall back on if I need to.

Put that cinnamon schnapps in french toast or cream bruleé. I use the frangelico any place I'd use amaretto.

Back
Top Bottom