"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-12-2008, 02:01 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

What can a newb cook for his wife?

Ok so I would like some suggestions of a cool meal that I can make for my wife that doesnt take too long, a newb can make it, doest cost a lot, and materials available at walmart.

So if anyone has any suggestions of a dish I could make for my wife let me know.

She likes all sorts of food except anything with ketchup and pork.

At home I have a descent kitchen and tools.....

The only food I know how to cook are, spaghetti, eggs, pancakes and thats about...

So to sum it up I would like
-suggestions of a nice meal to cook for my wife
-a guide on how to cook that meal
-the approx cost

Thanks!

Old 02-12-2008, 02:08 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Roast chicken, baked potato, Tossed Salad, Veggie.

Buy a whole chicken, about 4-5 pounds/$4-5 or less on sale. Take it out of the packaging and remove the stuff from the insides. Roast it in a roasting pan until done.

Baked potatoes - wash the skins and put them into the oven with the chicken - a buck or two.

Buy bagged salad greens and her favorite salad dressing. Serve in bowls

Buy her favorite frozen veggie and microwave it until hot.

Ice cream, hot fudge sauce and an aerosol can of whipped cream for dessert. Make hot fudge sundaes or do whatever with the whipped cream.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:31 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Or maybe even a cornish hen, prepared very similar Andy's directions. They cost about the same as a chicken, maybe just a tad more depending on where you live. You can roast them whole roast in a roasting pan until done. Perhaps add a rub of paprika, kosher salt, thyme, garlic powder on the skin side. I like to split them in half before serving because it makes it easier to handle on the plate and I like the presentation.

Baked potatoes would also go great with this. Other alternatives, garlic mashed potatoes. Quarter potatoes and boil with toes of garlic (as much or as little as you prefer) until potato is soft enough for a tip of knife to go through easily. Drain and mash potato and garlic together. Add milk to get to desired creaminess. Top with grated Parmesian cheese. You can serve as is or bake it for about 10 min. at 375 degrees to get a nice golden topping.

Andy's salad and veggie suggestions would go great with these. Another simple veggie side is roasted asparagus with Parmesian cheese. Rinse asparagus. Snap the white (tough) ends of the asparagus off and throw away. Put on baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and a pinch of kosher salt. Bake for 10 min. at 375 degree or until desired tenderness. Sprinkle Parmesian cheese and serve.

For dessert, maybe some Sarah Lee frozen pound cake sliced. Top with fresh berries and whipped cream. Lots of ways to get fancy on this if so inclined. Buy hot fudge or caramel sauce and drizzle on a plate before you layer on the pound cake and berries. You can also layer this in a dish, layer pound cake/berries/whipped cream and repeat.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:00 PM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric green View Post
Ok so I would like some suggestions of a cool meal that I can make for my wife that doesnt take too long, a newb can make it, doest cost a lot, and materials available at walmart.

So if anyone has any suggestions of a dish I could make for my wife let me know.

She likes all sorts of food except anything with ketchup and pork.

At home I have a descent kitchen and tools.....

The only food I know how to cook are, spaghetti, eggs, pancakes and thats about...

So to sum it up I would like
-suggestions of a nice meal to cook for my wife
-a guide on how to cook that meal
-the approx cost

Thanks!
Go ahead and to the spaghetti thing. Get a jar of Newmans Sockarooni, Stick some garlic bread in the oven, open a bag of salad... it's a start and she will enjoy it.

A variation... get lasagna noodles, ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese and make a lasagna. Sauce, cheese, noodles(mostly cooked)other cheese, repeat at least 3 times. If you want, fry up some meat and add to the sauce...

Pop it in a 350 oven and bake until browned off a bit on top..

It won't be expensive.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:15 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I saute some sliced mushrooms (a whole box will be about right for two) and remove from pan. Pound out some boneless, skinless chicken breasts really flat (without tearing them up). Dredge in flour that has been salted, peppered, and "garlicked". Saute in some olive oil and butter until browned on both sides. Place on a jellyroll pan. In the same skillet add almost as much marsala as chicken broth (the marsala should be the real stuff, not cooking marsala) and cook down for about 10 minutes or so. Next top your chicken with the mushrooms, then some grated fontina cheese and then the marsala mixture. Top with a few spring onions (the green parts) and bake for about 20 minutes on 350.

Now, I will say that the Fontina is expensive - but oh so worth it for a treat! If I had to switch it out for something else I might be tempted to use Swiss. Fontina is a semi-soft cheese with some great flavor. Mozzarella would be too flavorless but might do in a pinch if you "upped" the green onion.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:23 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Roast chicken, baked potato, Tossed Salad, Veggie.

Buy a whole chicken, about 4-5 pounds/$4-5 or less on sale. Take it out of the packaging and remove the stuff from the insides. Roast it in a roasting pan until done.

Baked potatoes - wash the skins and put them into the oven with the chicken - a buck or two.

Buy bagged salad greens and her favorite salad dressing. Serve in bowls

Buy her favorite frozen veggie and microwave it until hot.

Ice cream, hot fudge sauce and an aerosol can of whipped cream for dessert. Make hot fudge sundaes or do whatever with the whipped cream.
I love the whole suggestion! (probably because I love this meal myself!)

A couple of details: rub the chicken skin with a little olive oil, then lightly sprinkle the inside and outside of the chicken with salt and pepper. You can, if you want, treat the potato skins the same way.

Roast the chicken and potatoes in a 350 oven for an hour and 15 minutes. The potato flesh should be VERY tender when you stick a fork in it, and the juices in the chicken thigh should run clear (not red) when you prick it.

I'm sure there will be a lot more suggestions - please let us know which you end up making!

Lee
Old 02-12-2008, 05:45 PM   #7
Master Chef

If this is for a special occasion, cook something you feel comfortable cooking. (Save trying something new for another time.)

You mention that you've cooked spaghetti. Well that opens up all sorts of pasta recipes for you. If you've cooked spaghetti, you can literally cook any other type of pasta as well.

What sort of pasta dish do you think your wife would like? Something with poultry, like bite-size chicken? Something with seafood, like shrimp? I shop at Wal-Mart all the time, so what I can buy there, you probably can too. Let me know what you think you'd feel most comfortable with & I'll be more than happy to give you easy suggestions, & a run-down.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:42 PM   #8
Head Chef

Go with your strengths. You know spaghetti how about a carbonara? It is easy and very tasty, just Google. It is pretty straight forward.

A salad and some nice red wine.

Sounds good to me.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:53 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Minute Steak is always delicious. It's kind of like burger except in steak form still. But it's been pounded.

Anyways, dip the slices in some milk and then bread crumbs, flour and some spices (garlic salt, salt, pepper are always good). Then panfry them on each side for three minutes until the coating is starting to rise a little and sticks to the meat.

Then just put the slices in a corningware pan(can be another baking dish), put in half a cup of water and then pop it in the oven at about 300 degrees F for about 20-30 minutes or until done.

Goes excellently with mashed potatoes and steamed vegetables.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:33 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

dudes what about the recipe or the directions on how to do all this, I have no idea on how to ...i duno