What can I do with...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oooh, just looked at that ginger orange bread...that sounds good. :yum:

Just curious GG....what are the toll rates out there on the east coast? I visited New York and New Jersey waaay back in the day and remember having to stop for toll booths, but can't remember what they were. I'm sure they've gone up a couple 1000% since then, anyway....:ermm:

These are relevant only for the two tunnels between my town, Portsmouth, and Norfolk, VA, and they vary depending on several factors. https://www.driveert.com/toll-rates/

The tolls are ostensibly to pay for new tunnels and other improvements, but the company doing the work is guaranteed a 13.5% annual profit. They're going to go up at least 3.5% each year for the next 58 years. It's complicated and aggravating :mad:

Last edited:
Christmas presents for my primary health care providers: Ginger Orange Quick Bread - Recipe for Ginger Orange Quick Bread

Candied ginger costs a fortune. For a couple dollars worth of fresh ginger and sugar, I have enough for this recipe (3 mini loaves) plus a quart of ginger simple syrup. Good deal, eh? :)

What size pans are you using for mini loaves? I have some that are 3 x 5 in. and some that are about 5 x 8 in. Just wondering for baking time.

I was reading cooking books earlier and ran across this recipe for Ginger Ice. It was in the Peter Hunt Cape Cod Cookbook and was attributed to Catherine Hazeltine. I'm thinking that this would be easy to improvise with your leftover syrup.

1 pint of sugar syrup made by boiling 1 1/2 cups of sugar in 2 cups of water, let syrup cool. Add 1/4 pound of preserved ginger that has been chopped and mashed into a paste. Add the the grated zest and juice from one orange and two lemons, stir until well blended, freeze until the mixture becomes slushy. Remove from freezer and beat in one stiffly beaten egg white. Freeze until firm.

It also got me to thinking about using the syrup to make a ginger flavored boiled frosting. The kind where you add a boiling sugar syrup to stiffly beaten egg whites and beat it until it is light and fluffy. You would need to check a couple of recipes to be sure that your syrup contained enough sugar.

Last edited:
What size pans are you using for mini loaves? I have some that are 3 x 5 in. and some that are about 5 x 8 in. Just wondering for baking time.

I haven't made these in several years, but I'm pretty sure I used three 5x8 pans. I just looked in the cupboard and I have two sets of four 3x5 "baby" pans :) I think I'll get four baby pans from the recipe.

Back
Top Bottom