What can I do with...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
I made candied ginger today and as a result, have about a quart of sweetened ginger-infused water. I hate to waste it. Any ideas on what I can do with it?

Attachments

• 1417905431215.jpg
    1417905431215.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 214
Wow, that sounds interesting! I never would have thought of that. I'd have to do some educated guessing about quantities for the rest of the ingredients, but it could be a fun experiment. Thanks!

I love ginger beer! Do you have a SodaStream, GG? You could reduce it to syrup and add it to the seltzer. Or just add it as is to seltzer or lemonade. Or as a Moscow Mule concentrate. Maybe freeze some for later.

Last edited:
If it is the actual simple syrup used to make the crystallized ginger you could make a pitcher of Dark n' Stormy cocktails!

3 parts club soda
2 parts ginger syrup
1⁄4 part fresh lime juice
2 parts dark rum
Lime wedge, for garnish

You could also poach some pears or apples in it and serve them with some vanilla ice cream.

I love ginger beer! Do you have a SodaStream, GG? You could reduce it to syrup and add it to the seltzer. Or just add it as is to seltzer or lemonade. Or as a Moscow Mule concentrate. Maybe freeze some for later.

Never had I heard of a Moscow mule until this week, now this is the third time, weird! First I saw a Moscow mule copper mug at World Market, the same day saw one at Target, now this post.

How thick is i? I'd try simmering it down for a syrup. I use the syrup from my candied cranberries for waffles...maybe gingerbread pancakes or something?

(Feeling the need to try a Moscow mule...)

I made candied ginger today and as a result, have about a quart of sweetened ginger-infused water. I hate to waste it. Any ideas on what I can do with it?
Another idea is to freeze the ginger broth as ice cubes and use in stir-fries, sweet & sour sauce, anywhere that ginger is needed, say in a pumpkin pie.

If you like the flavor, use it to prevent motion sickness.

Hope that gives you a few ideas, or at least wakes up that darn cooking muse who always slinks off to hide and take a nap.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Never had I heard of a Moscow mule until this week, now this is the third time, weird! First I saw a Moscow mule copper mug at World Market, the same day saw one at Target, now this post.

Moscow mules were the signature drink at the wedding reception of one of my nieces several years ago, they were delicious! They were served in tin cups, though copper is traditional.

Aunt Bea's Dark'n Stormy sounds really good too!

Last edited:
We love Dark & Stormies, Dawg! :yum: Highly recommend.

I have my parents' old Moscow Mule copper mug. I checked the bottom of the mug and it says "cock 'n bull"! I'm guessing my folks tried the drink when they took a bus trip out to CA in the 1940s. I've had the mug sitting on the desk, stuffed with little trinkets we picked up from long-ago geocaching treks. I think it's time I cleaned the mug out and tried that drink!

You have lots of the liquid part for asian marinade for beef. All you need is the soy sauce, garlic, lime juice, salt and pepper. Mix it together, freeze it in cubes for future Asian meal marinade.

Last edited:
What a wonderful bunch of ideas! I especially like the Dark Stormy! ;) A Facebook friend who is a chocolatier reminded me that it's basically ginger simple syrup. That helped wake up the muse. She also posted this: http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2013/...-drinks-with-fresh-ginger-canton-liqueur.html

I don't have a SodaStream, but mixing it with lemonade sounds good. I don't do well with carbonated beverages, but DH loves ginger ale. He might like it with some bubbly water.

Christmas presents for my primary health care providers: Ginger Orange Quick Bread - Recipe for Ginger Orange Quick Bread

Candied ginger costs a fortune. For a couple dollars worth of fresh ginger and sugar, I have enough for this recipe (3 mini loaves) plus a quart of ginger simple syrup. Good deal, eh? :)

I'll have to make that for Rob, he's such a ginger fanatic.

Trader Joe's usually has a good price on candied ginger, a pouch full for a few bucks. The stuff in the grocery store is ridiculously priced!

Back
Top Bottom