What can I do with pickle juice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schoolgirl

Senior Cook
I have a recipe for buying dill pickles ,slicing them and putting in a jar with sugar and celery seed over them. We really like these, but I hate to throw out the juice. Any suggestions for using it? I hate to waste it. Thanks, Faye

When I make deviled eggs, I add pickle juice to the egg yolks (along with the other ingreds).
It's also a nice addition to potato salad.

This may sound weird but: years ago I used to make a glaze for chicken with the juice leftover from a good jar of pickles (such as the refrigerated kind with garlic bits). I just added a small can of tomato paste and about half to 3/4 of a box of brown sugar, just shook all together in the jar and poured over a cut up chicken, cover and simmer till chicken was done, removed lid and cook glaze down till thick. it was yummy and never would have tried it just reading it somewhere, but a friend of mine did it all the time and after trying it, i did also.

Pickled Eggs

Put some hard boiled eggs in a jar. Add some sliced onions and garlic. Heat up the pickle juice (not to boiling, but so it's steaming).

Pour the hot pickle juice over the eggs to cover completely (add vinegar if you are a little short of juice).

Cool, then refrigerate for at least a day or two before biting in!

Lee

You can make this soup and add some but not too much pickle juice to it. But it must not be vinegar based juice. It is very interesting taste. I normaly use pickles, but my aunt always used the juice.

Put some hard boiled eggs in a jar. Add some sliced onions and garlic. Heat up the pickle juice (not to boiling, but so it's steaming).

Pour the hot pickle juice over the eggs to cover completely (add vinegar if you are a little short of juice).

Cool, then refrigerate for at least a day or two before biting in!

Lee

You know.... I just stopped back into this thread to ask why you couldn't reuse the juice to pickle something else? Even pickles, or maybe make relish.

BTW, gotta have beets too, to make the eggs purple :)

I have used a little apple cider vinegar in deviled eggs so I can see using the pickle juice that way.
And I am going to do the boiled eggs. That sounds sooo good, since I love eggs cooked that way. I just might try that tomorrow.
thanks for the ideas, I knew that juice was too good to throw out. Faye

I use pickle juice at work for two things:

1) an ingredient in a "special" sauce for hamburgers.

2) Floor degreaser. It's free, bio-degradable, and perfectly natural. You won't high a buzz off the fumes. I just pour about a cup on the floor after I sweep. Slop-mop the juice around, then come back and dry-mop the floor. My chef likes it, as he doesn't have to spend some serious money on chemical degreasers, nor does he have to keep and maintain a MSDS sheet on the product.

If you soak your penny collection in it, it will make all the pennies nice and shiny.

Take some Kirby cukes, slie them, add julienned carrots and toss them into the jar. Let it sit for a couple of weeks.

Back
Top Bottom