"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-28-2005, 08:43 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

What can I make with these ingredients?

· Flour
· Pasta
· Chicken
· Eggs
· Oil
· Butter
· Head of Lettuce
· Cheese
· Milk
· Sugar
· Salt
· Pepper
· Onions
· Tomatoes

i have these, what can i make out of these that wouldnt be too hard. i have a "secret ingredient" too, but im not sure waht it is. is there a website i cant plug the ingredients i have and it tells me what i canmake out of it? i know they have it for drinks.

Old 11-28-2005, 08:50 PM   #2
Master Chef

Chicken A La King with a small salad. Serve the sauce over pasta and sprinkle cheese on top.

Hey, I love this. Give us another.

Old 11-28-2005, 08:52 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

what is chicken a la king? im not sure if i have any of that. i was also thinking of pasta with simple tomato sauce? and i have to make a dessert too.. but i just have no idea what the secret ingredient is. we are having an "iron chef" competition at our place, and the list of basic ingredients was passed out today. maybe some sort of custard, cake? not much basic ingredietns provided eh?
Old 11-28-2005, 09:00 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
UAflyer,
Chicken a la King
There are many stories about the origin of Chicken à la King, and many of them sound plausible. It is a dish of diced chicken, mushrooms, green peppers, and pimientos in a cream sherry sauce served on toast. Here are some of the stories. Dates range from 1881 to the 1920s.

1) Either a Mr. or Mrs. Foxhall Keene suggested chicken a la king to the chef at Delmonico's Restaurant in New York City, and originally served as Chicken à la Keene. This was in the 'late 1890s.

2) The chef at Claridge's Hotel in London created it in 1881 for sportsman J. R. Keene (Foxhall's father from the story above). J.R.'s horse, possibly also named Foxhall, had just won the Grand Prix in Paris.

3) A variation on #2, that the chef at Claridge's named the dish after his father, J.R. King.

4) Chicken a la King was created at the Waldorf Astoria in New York City in the 'early 20th century.'

5) An American invention created in the 1920s on Long Island, New York, or in Miami, Florida.

6) The most likely candidate. Created by Chef George Greenwald, at the Brighten Beach Hotel, New York in either 1898 or 'the early 1900s. He prepared a special chicken dish one evening for the owners, Mr. & Mrs. E. Clark King II. The next day, either Mr. King loved it and wanted it on the menu or Chef Greenwald asked if he could put it on the menu. In either case, it was added to the menu as Chicken à la King ($1.25), and quickly became a great success.

Also, if you make a custard or any dessert you'll need vanilla extract.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:07 PM   #5
Master Chef

Chicken a la King
In a large saucepan, saute diced onion, celery and garlic on medium heat in 2-3 tbls butter. When vegies are tender, add 2-3 tbls of flour, stir together, and add 3 cups of liquid (milk/and or chicken broth). Taste for seasoning, then stir until thickened. Add chopped cooked chicken, canned drained mushrooms, 1 small jar drained pimientoes, chopped hard-cooked eggs, and a can of drained Le Seur Baby peas. If they don't have peas, asparagus or broccoli are just fine.
Let simmer until all is warm and thick, adjust seasoning, and serve over pasta, toast, bisquits, in pot pie, puff Pastry cups...phylo cups or what have you.
How about filling a crepe with a chicken mixture, then using the white sauce to go over the top...then melt some good cheese over the top.

If you play with it, you can do all sorts of things with this recipe.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:14 PM   #6
Head Chef

Well, what a fun and interesting quandry!

If your cheese is parmesan, you can make an alfredo sauce for the pasta and chicken, starting with a simple white sauce base. It would actually be good with any cheese if you ask me but more traditional if it were parmesan. Toss it with chopped tomatoes for some extra interest ...

You could also cook your pasta, toss it with a beaten egg, grated cheese, salt and pepper and press it into a pie plate or sauce pan. Go with the simple white / cheese sauce again and toss with the chicken and tomatoes. Pour this into the new "crust" and bake for about 30 minutes for a chicken pasta pie.

For a bread side you can make popovers ... 2 eggs, 2 cups flour, 1 cup milk, 1 Tbl oil, and a pinch of salt. Pour into a popover pan OR simple muffin tin and bake until brown on the outside and firm (about 45 minutes). Pierce with a fork to let the steam escape.

If you want, you can split the popovers and stuff with the lettuce, shredded chicken, tomatoes and shredded cheese for a new twist on chicken salad sandwiches.

For another starch (OH MY IS THIS FUN!!) you can make hard dumplings with brown butter and serve with baked chicken. For the dumplings ... beat one egg, add enough flour to make it stiff then add enough milk to loosen (it should still stay on a fork). Add a pinch of salt and drop by the teaspoon full into salted, boiling water for 3 - 5 minutes. Remove and drain - do not rinse. Brown butter in your pan and toss with dumplings.

Like Constance said, you can serve a simple green salad with anything you make.

For a dessert ... are you given any fruit? If that is your mystery item, you can sweeten any baked good with the fruit. Look for a simple pudding recipe (most are just a variation on a simple sauce but thicker) ... OR, going back to the popovers, if you add sugar and scoop them out when you remove them from the oven (remove, let set for about 1 minute, split and remove insides), you can stuff them with any pudding and have a pretty close eclair.

Oh my - what fun! I agree Constance - give us another!
Good Luck!
Old 11-28-2005, 09:17 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Sushi started a thread like this awhile back. It was to name three ingredients and create a dish. It died though because only a few people would post. You would think with everyone on a site called "Discuss Cooking" that there would've been more than just a few responses per ingredient listing.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:17 PM   #8
Head Chef

Another thought ... you could do the pasta pie with the red sauce (or any of them really) if you prefer.
For a simple sauce ... melt butter to coat your pan, add 2 scoops of flour and stir for 2 or 3 minutes, add 2 cups of milk to make a basic white sauce. From there, you can add cheese for a cheese sauce. If you start with sauted onion, you can sprinkle the onion with the flour and add the liquid - same end result, just with an onion flavor and it won't be smooth.
Ok, I'm done.
:)
Old 11-28-2005, 09:28 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

wow, i would have never thought up half of these ideas without you all. my mouth is already startig to water.... who knew these few ingredients could do that!
Old 11-28-2005, 09:31 PM   #10
Head Chef

Ok, now I have a question for you, UAflyer ... do you have to prepare the dishes and take them to the party OR are you all making one dish there to "judge" OR ... ? This sounds like a really cool get together idea but with only one range / oven ...? How are you doing it?