"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-22-2011, 04:28 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

What can I prepare ahead of time?

I'm making appetizers for a party tonight that involve beer boiled/ grilled brats with melted cheese on pretzel bread. I think I know how I'm going to make it, I'm just not sure how to prepare and get it there.

Can I. Cook the brats ahead of time, slice them, and assemble it there? Or will letting the brats sit for an hour or so after being sliced mess with the flavor?

Once there the only thing I will have access to is a microwave or an oven already set to 350

Old 10-22-2011, 04:30 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by twesterm
I'm making appetizers for a party tonight that involve beer boiled/ grilled brats with melted cheese on pretzel bread. I think I know how I'm going to make it, I'm just not sure how to prepare and get it there.

Can I. Cook the brats ahead of time, slice them, and assemble it there? Or will letting the brats sit for an hour or so after being sliced mess with the flavor?

Once there the only thing I will have access to is a microwave or an oven already set to 350
Whoops, I guess I can tell what I'm actually making if that helps. It's going to be sliced brats on pretzel bread with melted Swiss cheese and chives on top. I'm making them bite sized so probably 1-2 slices per piece of bread and probably making 40 or so.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:50 PM   #3
Head Chef

I don't think that sitting for an hour will affect the taste of the brats. I would slice them thin enough so that the brats would be heated through when the cheese melts. I might put the chives on after removing from the oven to maintain crispness. The oven at 350 should work fine.

Sounds good.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:51 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twesterm

Whoops, I guess I can tell what I'm actually making if that helps. It's going to be sliced brats on pretzel bread with melted Swiss cheese and chives on top. I'm making them bite sized so probably 1-2 slices per piece of bread and probably making 40 or so.
You should be fine. I would refridge the brats if you're not going to use them for awhile.

Sounds like a nice appetizer!
Old 10-22-2011, 04:55 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by twesterm View Post

Appetizers should be small - one bite each, two in a pinch. I would do smaller portions with one brat slice per.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:24 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

The brats' taste will be fine. I eat cold brats all the time, room temp, too. I think I like brats and sausages better cold than I do warm off the grill (or pan). I think your appy could be eaten any temp you choose.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:20 AM   #7
Head Chef

I'm with Andy on this one. Maybe use a small cookie cutter to have all of your appetizers the same size.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:34 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
I'm with Andy on this one. Maybe use a small cookie cutter to have all of your appetizers the same size.
We think the same, lyndalou! I use a small cookie cutter to cut rounds from sliced bread, then toast the rounds in the toaster oven until brown and crisp. It makes them pretty, and I use the remaining cuttings for garlic toast sticks with pasta or soup.