What can I prepare ahead of time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twesterm

Assistant Cook
I'm making appetizers for a party tonight that involve beer boiled/ grilled brats with melted cheese on pretzel bread. I think I know how I'm going to make it, I'm just not sure how to prepare and get it there.

Can I. Cook the brats ahead of time, slice them, and assemble it there? Or will letting the brats sit for an hour or so after being sliced mess with the flavor?

Once there the only thing I will have access to is a microwave or an oven already set to 350

twesterm said:
I'm making appetizers for a party tonight that involve beer boiled/ grilled brats with melted cheese on pretzel bread. I think I know how I'm going to make it, I'm just not sure how to prepare and get it there.

Can I. Cook the brats ahead of time, slice them, and assemble it there? Or will letting the brats sit for an hour or so after being sliced mess with the flavor?

Once there the only thing I will have access to is a microwave or an oven already set to 350

Whoops, I guess I can tell what I'm actually making if that helps. It's going to be sliced brats on pretzel bread with melted Swiss cheese and chives on top. I'm making them bite sized so probably 1-2 slices per piece of bread and probably making 40 or so.

I don't think that sitting for an hour will affect the taste of the brats. I would slice them thin enough so that the brats would be heated through when the cheese melts. I might put the chives on after removing from the oven to maintain crispness. The oven at 350 should work fine.

Sounds good.

twesterm said:
Whoops, I guess I can tell what I'm actually making if that helps. It's going to be sliced brats on pretzel bread with melted Swiss cheese and chives on top. I'm making them bite sized so probably 1-2 slices per piece of bread and probably making 40 or so.

You should be fine. I would refridge the brats if you're not going to use them for awhile.

Sounds like a nice appetizer!

Appetizers should be small - one bite each, two in a pinch. I would do smaller portions with one brat slice per.

The brats' taste will be fine. I eat cold brats all the time, room temp, too. I think I like brats and sausages better cold than I do warm off the grill (or pan). I think your appy could be eaten any temp you choose.

I'm with Andy on this one. Maybe use a small cookie cutter to have all of your appetizers the same size.

We think the same, lyndalou! I use a small cookie cutter to cut rounds from sliced bread, then toast the rounds in the toaster oven until brown and crisp. It makes them pretty, and I use the remaining cuttings for garlic toast sticks with pasta or soup.

Back
Top Bottom