"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2013, 03:49 PM   #1
Cook

What Causes This??

I like my stainless steel cookware, because I can always get it looking like new with a stainless steel scrubbie.

Here is what my dedicated liver pan looks like after cooking.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pan.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	16911

The bottom surface of the pan is easily cleaned with just a little scrubbing, but those spots on the side take a lot of elbow grease.

My theory is that even if I get the oil or butter onto the sides of the pan, it simply slides off as it melts, leaving the surface vulnerable to "staining." But I don't understand why the stains only appear in discrete locations. Is each stain from single splatter? And the stains seem to appear in about the same place, even if I put the liver on the other side of the pan.

Does anyone know why this happens, and is there any way to avoid it?

Thanks,

Al

Old 01-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

my guess is that the sides are not fully clad (or thinner), so things burn more due to uneven/higher temps on the sides.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:09 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
my guess is that the sides are not fully clad (or thinner), so things burn more due to uneven/higher temps on the sides.
I agree. I'd guess your pan has a disk on the bottom but thin sides. Where the flame from the burner hits a spot, oil residue is scorched on.

Buy some Dawn Power Dissolver and Barkeepers Friend. That duo wil make it shine again.

Consider using a smaller flame or smaller burner to keep the flame from reaching out past the edge of the disk.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
Cook

Thanks, guys. I cooked on a smaller burner today, and had no stains on the side.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I get that sort of thing happening. I use Barkeeper's Friend and a green pad and it is sorted out fairly quickly.

Sometimes it comes off just be deglazing the pan.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #6
Cook

I'm agree with you buckytom are not fully clad , so things burn more due to uneven/higher temps on the sides.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:47 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex-Peter View Post
I'm agree with you buckytom are not fully clad , so things burn more due to uneven/higher temps on the sides.
BuckyTom--TMI--we didn't need to know you are not fully clad and things burn more quickly--enough said! Sorry, A-P, I couldn't resist. I know what you meant. I've been editing all day and just edited an example for an English punctuation exercise:

Elephants stay in your cars please everyone.

When I read the edited sentence (answer): Elephants, stay in your cars please everyone. (I couldn't stop the mental image of lions, tigers, and bears getting out of their cars...). I prefer Elephants! Please stay in your cars. But I'm only on first pass, so I might change it.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:25 AM   #8
Senior Cook

I only use ss pots/pans. Most ss pans sold, like AC are 18/10 ss. I have two 'T304' ss pans made with surgical ss. MUCH more expensive but a joy to use. I regularly season all of them and that makes a fundamental difference in their 'non-stick' qualities. It's no big deal to do it.Seasoning of Stainless Steel fry pan
Old 02-01-2013, 07:18 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffin3 View Post
I only use ss pots/pans. Most ss pans sold, like AC are 18/10 ss. I have two 'T304' ss pans made with surgical ss. MUCH more expensive but a joy to use. I regularly season all of them and that makes a fundamental difference in their 'non-stick' qualities. It's no big deal to do it.Seasoning of Stainless Steel fry pan
That's a fascinating 8-year-long discussion of whether or not SS pans need seasoning. The consensus seems to be that they do not. I don't season mine either.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:33 AM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
That's a fascinating 8-year-long discussion of whether or not SS pans need seasoning. The consensus seems to be that they do not. I don't season mine either.
That's what I got from it, too.