What cooking mags do you get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you like recipes that are not too difficult but are not so dependent on processed foods and canned soups as TOH and are perhaps a step or two up in sophistication and if you like detailed explanations with pictures for each recipe but not all the blah-blah-blah that you have to endure in Cooks Illustrated and if you despise advertisements and the whole lifestyle shtick --

I strongly recommend Cuisine at Home. They also sell annual volumes that include all six issues and an index.

... and your right taste of home mags had gotten so expensive I cancelled them and sometime buy the yearly cookbook or I usually get that as a xmas gift.

They were sold to or bought out by Reader's Digest a few years back. That's when they changes to all new look and feel and all those ads showed up.

If you like recipes that are not too difficult but are not so dependent on processed foods and canned soups as TOH and are perhaps a step or two up in sophistication and if you like detailed explanations with pictures for each recipe but not all the blah-blah-blah that you have to endure in Cooks Illustrated and if you despise advertisements and the whole lifestyle shtick --

I strongly recommend Cuisine at Home. They also sell annual volumes that include all six issues and an index.

Thanks for the tip, suzy. I checked it out and ordered a free copy. I had never heard of it. The lack of advertisements really appeals to me, and I like that it comes only 6 times a year. I'd gladly give up 6 issues of annoying ads. If I like what I see with the free issue, I'll take advantage of the holiday gift idea and order two subscriptions for the price of one for my two sons. My new daughter-in-law needs some subtle inspiration! :rolleyes:
Choose your gift option - Cuisine at home Magazine

Thanks for the tip, suzy. I checked it out and ordered a free copy. I had never heard of it. The lack of advertisements really appeals to me, and I like that it comes only 6 times a year. I'd gladly give up 6 issues of annoying ads. If I like what I see with the free issue, I'll take advantage of the holiday gift idea and order two subscriptions for the price of one for my two sons. My new daughter-in-law needs some subtle inspiration! :rolleyes:
Choose your gift option - Cuisine at home Magazine

I hope you enjoy your preview issue. CAH has the best combination of features and types of dishes for me. Interestingly, when I googled to see whether it had any reviews, I came across some very positive discussions about it on the Cooks Illustrated Bulletin Board. :LOL: Here's one thread.

I especially liked this description from a poster on that thread:

Cuisine at Home recipes are excellent, and the main difference between their recipes and CI's is that they are not fussy, at least not anywhere near as fussy and fixated on the minutiae like CI, but the result is still a wonderfully flavorful dish.

C.a.H. recipe are very "bright" flavored, imo, where the flavors taste very fresh and distinct. Not like some recipes from other mags where the dish may be pretty good, but the flavors taste "muddy".

I just signed up for three years for a good deal at $42. I also treated myself and have purchased and received their annual volumes from the beginning. It's quite a library.

That was a very interesting thread Suzy......it seems that many people are sold on it. I really liked this one sentence I found there......" If you subscribe, the magazine has been pre-punched with a three hole punch which makes it super easy to keep in a three ring binder." That will solve my storage problem also.

That was a very interesting thread Suzy......it seems that many people are sold on it. I really liked this one sentence I found there......" If you subscribe, the magazine has been pre-punched with a three hole punch which makes it super easy to keep in a three ring binder." That will solve my storage problem also.

Check out their binders.

Complete-ist (or nut) that I am, though, if I continue to like the magazine, I will probably keep buying the annual volumes because they come with an index. Then maybe I'll donate that years' worth of magazines.

Otherwise, the only way for a subscriber to find past recipes is to search or print out their master index, which is not annual but comprehensive.

Thanks for the "heads up" on Cuisine @ Home, I just subscribed, after looking the site over and reading the e-mail offerings.

I subscribe to Food and Wine and Cook's Illustrated and Cook's Country by America's Test Kitchen. Think these are, by far, the best whole food cooking magazines, IMO. I used to get Taste of Home (as a gift) and I just could not stand all the processed food used in recipes in every issue.

My indulgence is that I subscribe to Good Food magazine from the UK. The subscription is quite spendy, but it's worth it for broader culinary perspective.

I subscribe to Food and Wine and Cook's Illustrated and Cook's Country by America's Test Kitchen. Think these are, by far, the best whole food cooking magazines, IMO. I used to get Taste of Home (as a gift) and I just could not stand all the processed food used in recipes in every issue.

My indulgence is that I subscribe to Good Food magazine from the UK. The subscription is quite spendy, but it's worth it for broader culinary perspective.

That is my argument with TOH, if I need cream of mushroom, I'd rather make it myself. But, it does give me ideas, as long as I can deconstruct the processed foods.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom