What cooking means when things go bad..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caseydog

Master Chef
My parents lived in Puerto Rico when I was in college, and my dad's company flew me down there whenever I wanted, and paid for all my expenses. I tried my best to speak Spanish, and the locals were very kind to me for trying... they all spoke English, and helped me with my crappy Spanish. They never looked down on me. They always corrected me with a smile. They appreciated me for trying.

I had some really, really good experiences in Puerto Rico. Met some amazing people, and had some amazing experiences.

My parents lived there for three years, and learned 20 essential words of Spanish. Puerto Ricans are "Americans," so they should speak "American."

Needless to say, my family, other than me, blamed Puerto Ricans for the hell they went through after Hurricane Maria, a Cat 4 hurricane. They were not alone, as we all saw.

Here is a TEDtalk about that Hurricane, and just how important food is when recovering from a disaster.

Chef Jose Andres really gets into the depths of why food is so important when we have our backs up against a wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbHe4RpgV80

CD

My parents lived in Puerto Rico when I was in college, and my dad's company flew me down there whenever I wanted, and paid for all my expenses. I tried my best to speak Spanish, and the locals were very kind to me for trying... they all spoke English, and helped me with my crappy Spanish. They never looked down on me. They always corrected me with a smile. They appreciated me for trying.

I had some really, really good experiences in Puerto Rico. Met some amazing people, and had some amazing experiences.

My parents lived there for three years, and learned 20 essential words of Spanish. Puerto Ricans are "Americans," so they should speak "American."

Needless to say, my family, other than me, blamed Puerto Ricans for the hell they went through after Hurricane Maria, a Cat 4 hurricane. They were not alone, as we all saw.

Here is a TEDtalk about that Hurricane, and just how important food is when recovering from a disaster.

Chef Jose Andres really gets into the depths of why food is so important when we have our backs up against a wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbHe4RpgV80

CD

Thanks, Case.

I learned Spanish sitting on subway cars, reading the Spanish adverts side by side with the English ones with the same font and graphics. You could almost teach an ape 2 languages that way, with the drudge of taking a train everyday as an escape.

Btw, no se apoye contra la puerta.

Yeah, Puerto Rico is still a disaster and a lot of people don't realize it. Haiti as well. I work with guys from those countries, and their stories are horrifying at times.

Back
Top Bottom