What counts as water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, there is such a thing as too much water. ;)
That I know all too well unfortunately. I overdosed on water once. Thankfully I had friends around me at the time who saw what was happening and helped me. Most people do not believe it can happen, but it absolutely can.

For the puposes of hydration only, any Liqiud is water. you don't actually need to drink 64 ounces of water a day, because if you're eating a healthy diet with the proper proportions, most things you eat give your body some water, but a doctor or nutritionist will rarely tell you this because when most people shoot for 64 ounces, they fall short, so it evens out. Also, most people don't eat enough of the moisture rich veggies and fruits. However, that is only a base. If you do things that dehydrate your body, such as excercise, intake excess salt, excess sugar, caffeine, alcohol, or other toxins, or sweat excessively due to environment, etc., you need more. If you keep your sodium and sugar levels very low in EVERTHING else you eat, you can drink things with sodium and sugar. However, most of us just don't eat that way. Even Whole foods fanatics generally take in a fair amount of sugar through fruit, so if you've already met your quotas, the excesses will cancel out the water. Caffeine and Alcohol are much more difficult, because they have a stronger effect. That's why they're used in moderation if at all (or supposed to be, anyway). Sooo, as with all other things in nutrition, it's about balance. If you've done a great job eating healthy all day (and will continue if the day's not over), grab a small glass of juice, soda, or whatever. If not, limit yourself to a few sips & then switch to good ole' H2O. A wedge of your favorite citrus, a couple mint leaves, or a couple slices of cucumber do wonders, just a couple slices though, since the cuc is a diueretic too.:)

I think power rade and gator rasde are consider water, and so is the soup liquid, but tea or maybe it coffee is not consider water, neither are the soft drinks.

It seems even the experts can't agree on this, but that isn't unusual - they don't agree on many other things. In the case of elderly people just getting enough liquids of any kind is a problem. My mom's doctor tries to include any thing that will turn to liquid since she has the tendency to under do the liquid to the point of becoming dehydrated and being hospitalized. I have heard that we don't need the 8 glasses of water that was touted before, but should always drink before we get thirsty. Of course, activity and the whereabouts of the activity has a lot to do with the need. I usually drink plenty in a day.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom