What counts as water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
So I think I know what I believe, but I want to hear others thoughts on this. When people say you need to drink X number of cups of water (the actual amount does not really matter), what can you count as water?

Obviously a cup of H2O is counted, but what about a cup of coffee? How about tea? both of these things are primarily water. What about other liquids that are mainly water? Lets hear your thoughts.

Without doing the research, I recall that some water-based liquids don't qualify as they can't deliver all the benefits of only water. I don't know if that's true or a bottled water industry ploy to get you to pay a premium price for bottles of what comes out of your tap at home for pennies.

This seems to be such a moving target it isn't even funny. I see only water counts, I see water in other things counts. I think the latest I have seen is water is water and it doesn't matter where it is, as long as you get it in you. They will likely change that tomorrow though. :)

So I think I know what I believe, but I want to hear others thoughts on this. When people say you need to drink X number of cups of water (the actual amount does not really matter), what can you count as water?

Obviously a cup of H2O is counted, but what about a cup of coffee? How about tea? both of these things are primarily water. What about other liquids that are mainly water? Lets hear your thoughts.
GB, for me water is considdered anything that will become liquid. Jello, ice cream. This of course is so the kidney center can count what we consume each day. Believe me some things that we take as a solid they will tell you it's a liquid. so anything that mels LIQUID :)
cj

CJ, so how would they count something like alcohol which is liquid, but will dehydrate you?

As an answer to your basic question, I consider only plain water to count. I view, in part, cleansing of the kidneys as a primary benefit. Re-hydration is a very important aspect, particularly first thing in the morning, whereas coffee, soda or alcoholic drinks will dehydrate your system, locking up water as it attempts to dilute those free compounds.

And the cups (amount) is based on 8 oz.

I think it has to do with which benefit of water is being discussed. If it's to provide adequate water to maintain healthy kidney function, liquids that make the kidneys work harder may offset the benefit of the water provided.

As an answer to your basic question, I consider only plain water to count. I view, in part, cleansing of the kidneys as a primary benefit. Re-hydration is a very important aspect, particularly first thing in the morning, whereas coffee, soda or alcoholic drinks will dehydrate your system, locking up water as it attempts to dilute those free compounds.

And the cups (amount) is based on 8 oz.
Do you feel the same about tea?

Do you feel the same about tea?

For kidney benefit... it's close, because there are some health benefits, even for the kidneys that can come from green tea. (I don't know anything about black tea.) But I'll stick to ordinary water (filtered through a 4-stage faucet filter) for a couple of those glasses, primarily as ice water in the evening after dinner until bedtime.

But for hydration, yes, in my opinion, tea can count as ordinary water. The British Army did some studies on the benefits of tea vs ordinary water during their occupation of India, but I suspect a certain amount of bias! :LOL:

Last edited:
Excellent question, GB. My thought is that when advised to drink
X-ounces of water each day, it is for the purpose of cleansing and purifying our system (in addition to hydration).

Any additive, such as tea leaves or coffee grounds, puts that purification into question. Nobody agrees as to whether coffee is good or bad for you. Nobody agrees as to whether certain herb/tea leaves are good or bad for you in questionable quantities.

Like many things we eat and drink....anything in it's purist form is healthiest for us.

If anyone is thinking herbal tea is without questions read this:
Pyrrolizidine alkaloids (PAs) were among the first naturally occurring carcinogens identified in plant products, and their presence in herbal teas is a matter of public health significance. Some herbal tea mixtures and single-ingredient herbal teas have been analyzed for toxic/mutagenic potential by bioassay and chromatographic techniques. Numerous human and animal intoxications have been associated with naturally occurring components, including pyrrolizidine alkaloids, tannins, and safrole. Thus, the prevention of human exposure to carcinogens or mutagens present in herbal tea mixture extracts is crucial. Preparation of infusion drinks prepared from plants appears to concentrate biologically active compounds and is a major source of PA poisoning. The quantity and consumption over a long period of time is of major concern. It is recommended that widespread consumption of herbal infusions should be minimized until data on the levels and varieties of carcinogens, mutagens, and toxicants are made available.
Risks associated with consumption of herbal teas. [Rev Environ Contam Toxicol. 1997] - PubMed result

Last edited:
In my job, fluids are considered anything that is liquid at room temperature, this includes ice cream. Of course any fluids we can get our elderly to take are important.

That said, I also work with people who have fluid restrictions. Some are all inclusive, they can have only X amount of fluids in 24 hours, any fluids. Others are restricted from "Free Water," they can have as much as they want to drink as long as it's not water, these folks usually have an electrolyte imbalance.

For the most part, those that are allowed anything they want are allowed by their physicians to have alcohol in moderate amounts. Those on straight fluid restrictions are not allowed alcohol at all and Free Water restricted are allowed a beer or one wine a day.

That being said, I think of any fluids, with the exception of hard liquour, as fluid intake. But, I also drink 2x as much water as I drink coffee because I know I get dehydrated.

I guess it all really depends on how you feel after drinking whatever fluids you partake of...:)

I was told a a few years ago when I fainted while cooking at camp in the middle of summer and was treated for dehydration that the only thing considered water was water. Then earlier this year I was treated for edema and am now on permanent medication for it. I was told that I needed to cut down anything considered fluid, much the same as CJ's list.

So my conclusion is that the medical formula for fluid is H20 only when you need more fluid and just about everything else when you need less :wacko:

CJ, so how would they count something like alcohol which is liquid, but will dehydrate you?
beats me GB, I don't drink maybe a beer now and them but I have to let them know. I'll ask next time and let you know,
cj

I, too, only count regular plain water as water when it is a health issue (for example, gout and other forms of arthritis). Coffee and tea both are diuretics and stimulants. That's fine sometimes, but if your doc has recommended the water, stick to only counting water as water. Club soda, mineral water, seltzer can count if they are salt-free. I guess the way I'd put it is that you're trying to wash things out of your system, not add things to it.

For some reason folks don't want to hear that only water is water. I have heard any number of so-called authorities say gator ade, iced tea, vitamin water, flavored water, etc. ad nauseam, but I don't believe that.

The health folks I listen to all say that only water is water. No flavors, no additives, no bevvies that are made with water, just pure H20.. water. A minimum of 2 quarts of the stuff per day, and no more than 2 gallons.

Yes, there is such a thing as too much water. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom