What did I do wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

velochic

Sous Chef
I made roast with yorkshire pudding yesterday. I used the drained beef fat to make the pudding. As I always do, I added about a teaspoon of the fat into each of the little muffin compartments and heated it up in the oven. I filled the tins with the batter and put it back in the 400*F oven.

All of the fat just ran off the top as they rose and into the bottom of my oven, making a horrible mess. The pudding itself didn't run over. This is actually the first time it's done this but it's been a long time since I made this. Any ideas about what I may have done wrong? The puddings all came out fine and didn't stick. But it caused quite a smoky mess in my oven. Next time I'll use a sheet pan under it, but wonder what happened this time. Did I just use too much fat?

The pudding recipe was pretty standard: 1 c. milk, 1 c. flour, 2 eggs, salt, melted beef fat.

Last edited:
I used the same amounts in the past and that didn't happen. I wonder, should I stir the fat into the batter once I put it in the muffin tins? I don't remember doing that. Perhaps the teaspoon of fat that I remember was to be divided among the six, because your explanations certainly sound right. But I've also had the pudding stick to the pan in the past, as well.

If anyone does yorkshire pudding this way, do you just "grease" the muffin tins or do you actually add enough fat that there is a very small pool of it in the bottom of each tin? It sounds like from Andy and Jenny that they're right about what I did wrong. (Thanks, guys!!)

Back
Top Bottom