what do i do with spring roll wrappers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
make spring rolls? are they the clear wrap thingys . Well if they are and are dry. Soak em in water before you can use em. Then wrap em with swrimp brisket, thai basil leaf the leaf thing you get with pho, some pho noodles, shredded carrots, and dip em in hoison sauce (black sauce like paste thing you find with pho) or asian red chilli sauce. i also tried wrapping this with eggs too.

Try this if they're the 'clear' wrappers -

HADDOCK IN RICE PAPER W/SHALLOT-SOY SAUCE

4 servings

4 8 ½ " rice paper rounds
1tsp. tarragon leaves
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. black pepper
¼ cup soy sauce
3T.rice vinegar
4 7oz. haddock fillets, 1" thick (you don't have to use haddock)
2 finely chopped shallots
2T chopped chives
1 clove minced garlic
1tsp. sugar
¼ tsp. Tabasco
1T oil

Moisten rice paper rounds on both sides with water and set aside for 5 minutes to soften. In a small bowl, mix tarragon, salt/pepper and sprinkle on both sides of the haddock. Place 1 piece of haddock in center of each rice paper round, then fold the wrappers around the pieces of fish to enclose them securely.
In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, vinegar, shallots, chives, garlic, sugar and Tabasco.
Heat oil in a large skillet; set fish packages in skillet, seam side down, and cook over moderate heat til lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Turn the fish, cover and cook til lightly browned, about 3 minutes longer. Remove from heat and set aside to steam, covered, for 4 minutes; transfer wrapped fish to plates, and spoon the sauce over the top.

Make Spring Rolls!! :D

Spring roll skins are not usually made from rice paper. Usually they are made from wheat. Chinese. But if they are thin, brittle and need to be soaked, they are rice paper. Thai or Vietnamese.

If they are the regular chinese wheat ones, you can make spring rolls, or you can cut them up into strips and fry them into "noodles". Season them and bake them at 250 to make crackers.

I'd still male spring rolls.

Slice ripe bananas in half, then slice each half into quarters, the long way. Coat each slice with light brown sugar that's been seasoned with cinnamon. Wrap 2 or 3 pieces of banana in the wrapper, making sure the ends are sealed like when rolling a burrito, and fry until golden brown.

If they are the clear, white round things (will usually say rice paper in French as they are usually a Vietnamese product ... papier du riz or something like that), throw a wrap party.

Clean and put out:

a bowl of leaves of lettuce. You want them a somewhat pliable variety, butter, boston, even romaine will work (shave out the spine)

Any and all of the following:

Cooked slices of meat and/or whole shellfish. Particularly good is thinly sliced flank steak that has been cooked on the grill, and steamed shrimp (to stretch it, cut them in half lengthwise), but virtually anything cut so that it is tender will do, I've even had meatballs in Vietnamese restaurants. ... and meat can be skipped for vegetarians.
green onions
thinly sliced or julienned cucumbers, celery, carrots
finely chifonaded greens of any kind -- cabbage, spinach, etc.
peanuts
rice noodles or bean threads, cooked, rinsed, chopped, and cooled. Rinse at last minute again to make sure they aren't clumpy.

Try to find some fresh herbs, and pile them abundantly: basil, mint, lemon balm (cannot grown lemon grass here, but lemon balm will grow anywhere), parsley, cilantro, chives.

For each two table settings, put out a pie pan of water. Any shallow bowl will do, it just has to be as large or larger than the rice paper.

Buy or make a variety of sauces: peanut sauce, hot szezuan stir fry sauce, that sweet sauce everyone seems to like (don't myself), chinese hot mustard mixed with soy, tiger sauce, dragon sauce, etc. Any Asian type sauce will do.

Taking the lead, each person soaks their rice paper until it is pliable, then puts it on their plate. Put on a lettuce leaf, then pile on your favorite fillings. Wrap, dip, eat. Fun for kids as this is very messy. I recommend giving everyone a towel in lieu of a napkin.

Yes, a do-it-yourself Vietnamese burrito. Called a summer roll in some restaurants.

I love my spring rolls the bad way (fried).

Here is how I make mine ( I actually made about a 120 of these a day ahead and froze them for an appetizer course).

Cabbage (1 small) shredded
Carrots (matchsticks style) about a cup
Bell Peppers (Red, Green) finely sliced
2 Chicken Breasts (simmered in chunks of garlic and ginger with some salt). Once it's cooked cool and shredd them
1 bunch of green onions finely chopped
Soy Sauce (1 tbsp)
chilli sauce (1 tbsp)
touch of sweet chilli sauce (2 tsps)
sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds
1 tbsp of oil

In a large saute pan add the oil. When the oil is hot add the carrots and bellpeppers and saute very quickly on high heat (about 2 minutes). Next add the cabbage and stir fry for another 5 minutes or so. Next add the chicken, sauces and green onions and stir fry for another minute.

Now sprinkle the sesame and stir them in.

Take this mixture and dump it in a colander in your sink so that you lose any moisture.

Place two tbsp of the mixture in each spring roll sheet and fold using the envelope method. Make all of them and then fry them. They freeze beautifully.

To defrost, just take the frozen egg rolls out and immediately place them in a preheated 300 degree oven in a cookie sheet.

yakuta! i use exactly the same recipe,just exclude the sesame seeds,but nice idea,i'll add them too the next time i make spring rolls...another thing...i dont fry them before freezing,ummm,u know i just take some out everytime we want to eat them,and fry them right before serving! :)

Hi Sarah when I make spring rolls they are fried on the spot and are gone in no time. My kids love them.

I normally fry them in advance when I have company because when I invite family it's about 50 folks or so and you can imagine the amount of cooking to be done. Plus I don't like my house smelling and smokey so I do it ahead of time.

This weekend for the first time I made my eggrolls to suit my Indian family with onions, cabbage, carrots bell peppers cooked in Indian spices (some minced ginger and garlic) and some freshly roasted and ground cumin and corrainder powder along with chilli powder and cilantro. I let the mixture drain in a colander and viola it became hot and spicy and were gone in no time.

hey yakuta! this indian version of egg rolls looks sooooo delicious,really i think i have to try this one!ummm...sounds mouth watering!

Back
Top Bottom