What do they teach someone at culinary school?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Julio

Senior Cook
Does someone needs to have a bit of knowledge first before going into culinary school? Do they teach you about different spicies and herbs and stuff like that?

I went to what is probably the least respected culinary school in the history of the art. Really. When you Google them, all you can find are records of legal actions against them.

That said, aside from basic literacy, they didn't expect any knowledge.

BTW, if you're in New York, check out the CIA in Hyde Park. It's one of, if not the most respected school in the US.

Some culinary schools take you as you come, others want you to have a high school diploma or ged and successful work in the industry for 6 months or so. But yes, they will teach you as will your own curiosity and interest.

You want to learn about herbs and spices? google them , find web sites that will tell you all about them, then try them. Basics like parsley, thyme, basil, rosemary and sage; cinnamon, cloves allspice, pepper, cardamom, cumin, cayenne, etc.

Look up the schools and see what they require: CIA, FCI, ICE (all in NY.) Johson and Wales, The Art Institutes, Le Cordon Bleu, and many many others in almost every state. Follow your dream!

I'd bet there probably isn't a better place in the US to learn than New York. Good schools and great restaurant employment opportunities.

The best thing about culinary school, and the restaurant industry as a whole is that even if you choose to leave the industry, you take away skills that will be used for a lifetime.

Thanks everyone!

Yes I would like to learn about different spicies & herbs.

I was curious as to what a culinary school would teach you.

You'll learn a lot more about the techniques involved in using herbs than the herbs themselves. With thousands of potential ingredients and unlimited possibilities for combining them, there's only so much that can be covered in a year or two of study.

Like Robo said, the way to learn about herbs and spices is to try them. As you become more familiar with the flavor of ingredients and their interactions with each other, a fun game is to try and duplicate dishes that you've enjoyed. Doing this helps to build your taste discrimination. I liken it to a musician being able to play "by ear", as opposed to reading off of sheet music.

Back
Top Bottom