What do you all do with Poblano Peppers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linda0818

Head Chef
I was given a bunch of poblano peppers, which I love, from a friend's garden. And I was just wondering if any of you have any good poblano pepper recipes and/or possible ways to preserve them for future use. I'm not into the canning thing, so I was wondering if you could possibly freeze them?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

I have a lot of poblano peppers, too. For some of them, I plan to make Mexican-style stuffed peppers with chorizo, rice and southwestern seasonings. I will also chop and freeze some to use in posole verde during the winter.

My poblano plant has been a bust, so far this year.

I like to make chilis rellenos with mine. Char them, peel them, stuff them with cheese (or other things), dip them in a batter and fry them. I like to stuff mine with a mixture of cream (whipped) cheese and grated cheeses.

CD

Attachments

• Rellenos.jpg
    Rellenos.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
I roast and peel a bunch of them, along with the Numex, to make rajas, and freeze them. I have more than enough rajas now, so what I do is dice them up, dehydrate them, and add them to soups and curries in the winter.

Peppers can be frozen. Depending on what type of pepper, how big it is, what I think I'm going to use it for, I might chop them, quarter them, halve them, or even freeze them whole. I spread a silpat on a baking tray that will fit in my freezer. I spread out the peppers / pepper pieces so they aren't touching each other and then stick the tray in the freezer. When they are fully frozen, I put them in a freezer safe container. Later, I can take out as few or as many as I like, because I carefully froze them individually. This goes for hot peppers and bell peppers. They don't need to be blanched before freezing.

This type seems similar to what we call in Spain Pimientos de Padrón, unos pican y otros no (peppers from Padrón, some burn, and others don´t). So you never know if they are spicy or not.

For me, the best way is roasted with salt rocks and maybe a bit of evoo

They are a go to pepper for rellenos, green sauce, chilaquiles, green pozole and green chili stew. Sometimes i use them as a sub for Hatch chilis in my favorite salsa.

I nearly always substitute poblanos for green bell peppers. Especially hash, fried potatoes, chili, baked beans, and all cajun/creole style dishes that start with a trinity. Don't usually roast poblanos but if I was looking for a way to freeze a bunch of them, roasting first would be the way I'd go.

Thanks so much, everyone, for the tips and advice on storing, freezing and cooking. I love roasting peppers and I also have a wonderful recipe for authentic Mexican style rice, so I may make that for dinner this evening. My son would love it.

That sounds wonderful, Linda. :yum: I also do as mentioned above in several posts - chop and freeze them individually on a silpat or baking sheet. I live alone and it's great to grab a quick handful from the freezer for soups, stews, and Mexican dishes, and re-freeze the rest. You are lucky to have a friend that gifted you with these!

edit....I do the same with any peppers, including bells, and onions as well. Sometimes I go overboard at the local farmer's market....lol

Last edited:
That sounds wonderful, Linda. :yum: I also do as mentioned above in several posts - chop and freeze them individually on a silpat or baking sheet. I live alone and it's great to grab a quick handful from the freezer for soups, stews, and Mexican dishes, and re-freeze the rest. You are lucky to have a friend that gifted you with these!

edit....I do the same with any peppers, including bells, and onions as well. Sometimes I go overboard at the local farmer's market....lol

Farmer's markets are the best things in the world. I'm like a kid in a candy store when it comes to those places.

Thanks so much, everyone, for the tips and advice on storing, freezing and cooking. I love roasting peppers and I also have a wonderful recipe for authentic Mexican style rice, so I may make that for dinner this evening. My son would love it.

We call that green rice.:yum: We also make red rice (Mexican style)

I was given a bunch of poblano peppers, which I love, from a friend's garden. And I was just wondering if any of you have any good poblano pepper recipes and/or possible ways to preserve them for future use. I'm not into the canning thing, so I was wondering if you could possibly freeze them?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

If you love them, we were hoping that you might supply some recipes...

I pre chopped and froze mine in 1 cup bags. Also stuff them with rice veg etc mixed with mushroom soup or queso sauce

The queso sauce is a good idea. I was thinking of what I might use to mix the 'stuffing' for the peppers with. These peppers have already been roasted, diced and frozen. But for future whole peppers that I want to stuff, I'll keep the queso idea in mind.

The queso sauce is a good idea. I was thinking of what I might use to mix the 'stuffing' for the peppers with. These peppers have already been roasted, diced and frozen. But for future whole peppers that I want to stuff, I'll keep the queso idea in mind.

You can still do it with the frozen diced peppers. Just unstuffed. It’s like mock cabbage rolls, the first thing you do is chop it all up anyways

Back
Top Bottom