What do you put on your popcorn?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh yeah. That's a given when making it on the stovetop.... gotta have salt in the oil. I like cooking it in OR's butter flavored oil. And using popcorn salt (very fine).

Anyone remember TV Time popcorn? It came prepackaged with the kernels, peanut oil, directions and about a cup of salt :wacko: It only took a couple of times to realize that they didn't make a mistake. They actually thought you would use all that salt :ermm::ermm:

Curious, how much salt do you put in the oil - never thought of doing it that way?? Thanks

Geez Barb, I wouldn't even have a set of measuring spoons if it wasn't for making bread :LOL:
A spoonful or two? In one of those pots that are about 8-9 inches across and make all the popcorn one person can just about handle.

TV Time's recipe more or less was (and I still used it with Orville's popcorn):
Put in oil, salt and popcorn
Heat
When first kernel pops, cover and remove from heat for one minute
Heat back up and pop til done

Whenever it got to popping with the second reheat I would hold it above the flame and keep shaking.

Now I am getting hungry for popcorn, LOL. Good to know I am not the only one that loves kettle corn, for a minute there I thought I was some sort of maver.... oh wait I am!

When I make popcorn, i just put butter and salt on it, but my favorite popcorn (if I dare say it) is those tins you can buy at Christmastime that are split into thirds with butter-flavored, cheese-flavored, and caramel.

OK, made this tonight and it turned out to be a hit with the kids:

1 1/2 tbsp butter
1 1/2 tbsp light brown sugar
1 pkg chocolate sauce (I have no idea where it came from, but it was in a plastic package in the cupboard and was about 4tbsp worth. It was chocolate, but semi soft not hard but not liquid either)

I heated these ingredients up in a sauce pan till melted and runny. Popped up a package of plain microwave popcorn that was also in the cupboard. I put the popped popcorn into a brown paper bag, poured the chocolate mixture over it, then shook the bag real good for a couple of minutes. I then poured it out onto a cookie sheet, separated with my hands, and placed in the fridge for a couple of minutes.
Came out real good, well coated, chocolaty but not overpowering. I know, not very specific amounts but I was experimenting with stuff just lying around.
Next time, maybe some peanut butter popcorn!

for variation we also like to sprinkle cumin on it

my grandmother used to save her bacon grease and would pop the popcorn in that---oh, was it so good especially when served with a glass of fresh-squeezed lemonade

Oh man, I just LOOOVE that Kettle Korn. How exactly could you make that at home? I'm thinking maybe heat a little oil or clarified butter in the pan along with the kernels and some sugar and salt.

Try Soy sauce on popcorn instead of salt.. Yummy....

I also like plain white sugar and salt..

For a real treat, pop it in bacon grease... I can feel my arteries clogging just thinking about it...

The cumin idea sounds great and the bacon grease!!! I like salt and butter for the most part, but occasionally I like to throw some Frank's Hot Sauce on it too!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom