What does Caviar taste like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Try sunday brunch at a posh hotel. They'll usually have some kind of caviar. The Ritz Carlton usually has it for brunch. If you're not looking for it, you may miss it. It's usually displayed in a bed of ice surrounded by deviled eggs, blinis, toast points, creme fraiche, etc.

That's the best way to try it since it's included in the price of admission.

Something about the whole fish egg thing just grosses me out..........I don't think this is something I'll ever try ........... ewwwwwww!

..................well bangbang, if it's too pricey, then you don't have to buy it, cause after all, if it's in say, 'caviar pie', we wouldn't want you to hurl........

Bang, in my opinion you are not missing much. It is an acquired taste, and to my palate it's just a burst of saltiness.

I haven't had much of these, but truffles (the fungal kind) are also overrated in my book.

I've never had truffles and to be honest, I don't think I've ever seen them for sale, even in gourmet shops. What makes them so special?

Got me. I know they grow in southern France and northern Italy (and probably elsewhere) and are snuffed out by pigs and dogs.

Usually one is served just a shaving of truffle on top of something else, because of its rarity and expense.

Just doesn't taste like much to me, altho I admit I haven't had more than a shaving or two.

Gourmands, help us out here. Ironchef, Konditor, and....??

DampCharcoal said:
I've never had truffles and to be honest, I don't think I've ever seen them for sale, even in gourmet shops. What makes them so special?

The only thing I can think of that makes them special is that they are very hard to find. Pigs used to be used to find them but they kept eating them. Now they use dogs for the "hunt". I have never had them or seen them either, but I would love to try them.

It's crunchy and salty, fishy taste. I dont like it at all. They sort of pop in your mouth while you chew, ewww. The only way my fish is going to be crunchy is when I make fish and chips :)

The taste of truffles is hard to describe. Some say it's earthy. Some say it's mushroomy. I go with earthy nuttiness.

DampCharcoal said:

little pigs or specially trained dogs nose them out from under the ground in wooded areas in France. They are very rare and hard to find, thus the cost. I have not eaten one but did buy some black truffle oil and it was quite nice when a few drops are added to the top of a steak or chop. It was rather expensive, about $7 for 1 oz bottle of the oil. I probably would not buy the oil again as it was not that special.

I'm so glad that this thread was started. I received a wine and cheese basket two days ago that included a small jar of Beluga Caviar. I've been too afraid to try it, but now that I've seen these reviews, I'm confident that I will be giving it away. Extra salty foods of any kind do not set well w/my tastebuds.

luvs_food said:
fishy, salty. it's little balls that pop in your mouth. good stuff.
Ok - I will never ever try this stuff. Never. Ever.
pukea.GIF

i like caviar, well, most kinds. i cannot stand salmon "caviar". the eggs are too big and slimy, and they remind me of bait i used for trout as a kid.
but i've had beluga, sevruga, flying fish, and several other kinds in japanese restaurants. loved them all. the saltier ones are very strong, so you only eat a little bit on crackers or toast points.

DampCharcoal said:
I liked it, norgeskog. It was served at a Jewish wedding reception so I'm not sure if it's a kosher dish (still trying to figure out kosher) or if it's just, well, something good to serve! :)

Here's a link that does a pretty good job of describing what being 'kosher' entails.

;)
Z

Try the "caviar" on a baked potato, with butter, sour cream, etc...

It might turn your head around...

By itself, I've got to agree, its an "acquired taste" for those on a "Champagne budget"...

Back to "liking" chicken livers, fast fried, with onion, soya, green pepper slivers and cooking oil of arguable description, even if its packed with the "nasty" chloresterals that are deadly to me...

Lifter

buckytom said:
i like caviar, well, most kinds. i cannot stand salmon "caviar". the eggs are too big and slimy, and they remind me of bait i used for trout as a kid.
but i've had beluga, sevruga, flying fish, and several other kinds in japanese restaurants. loved them all. the saltier ones are very strong, so you only eat a little bit on crackers or toast points.

Hey buckytom, you do have class, liking caviar. My cousin is coming for a visit Dec 28-30 and I am going to fix her an omelette stuffed with cream cheese, sour cream, baked potatoe pieces, onions, garlic, scallions, and topping with the caviar and chopped dill. Sound good?

Back
Top Bottom