What does Caviar taste like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lifter said:
Try the "caviar" on a baked potato, with butter, sour cream, etc...

It might turn your head around...

By itself, I've got to agree, its an "acquired taste" for those on a "Champagne budget"...

Back to "liking" chicken livers, fast fried, with onion, soya, green pepper slivers and cooking oil of arguable description, even if its packed with the "nasty" chloresterals that are deadly to me...

Lifter

I love chicken livers with bacon and onions or just deep fried.

I think you have to grow up with the caviar to like it. Being Russian I did just that. And having connections and friends in the right places, like places where the stuff was produced for example, sure helped. My mom had some friends who lived near and worked at the place that was producing so cold black caviar. And my uncle worked at the place where the red caviar was produced. We were able to obtain the best of the best of the both kinds. Crème de la crème. And extremely cheap at that.
As a young kid I would eat it with a big soupspoon. :roll:

The best thing is to use piece of good white bread, liberally spread butter on it top it up with caviar. Mmmmm, I can eat probably a half of a pound in one seating, easily.

Darn, I think I’m going to have to run to a Russian store tomorrow and pick some up. ;)

Oh, yeah, how does it taste, well, like heaven, providing you like herring like taste.

well said debthecook.
norgeskog, i don't know about having class; haven't been to school for years, lol. i just knows what's i likes...

For me, caviar is as much about the texture as it is about the taste. People think caviar is delicious because it's so expensive but it's expensive because it not readily available or hard to get.. Caviar reminds me of the candy Pop Rocks in that they burst in your mouth but has a somewhat salty taste. Supposedly the better the caviar the less salty. I find it too intense a taste to eat alone so I like it with something like sour cream. My favorite way to have it in an omelet with Lox, sour cream and then caviar on top of the sour cream. Then, wash that puppy down with a little champagne with OJ (Samosa) and I'm good to go. Hmm, life is good.

I'm much too money conscious to buy caviar very often, but I do love it. Salmon eggs cured in sake are my favorite. I could eat them by the pound!

my roommate is from Iran and last year her parents came to visit and they brought me a small jar of beluga sturgeon black caviar, it's from the Caspian sea and apparently it's supposed to be the best caviar in the world, I enjoyed, we had it on very thin wafer crackers I have had others since but honestly nothing even comes close to how good it tasted, it's salty, slightly fishy tasting, not overwhelmingly fishy, but just very good

my roommate is from Iran and last year her parents came to visit and they brought me a small jar of beluga sturgeon black caviar, it's from the Caspian sea and apparently it's supposed to be the best caviar in the world, I enjoyed, we had it on very thin wafer crackers I have had others since but honestly nothing even comes close to how good it tasted, it's salty, slightly fishy tasting, not overwhelmingly fishy, but just very good

Wow! I wish I'd been there!:pig::pig::pig:

Welcome to DC carl, and carolyn and thanks for pulling out this very old thread. I wish I could have had the best of the best also. The best description of good caviar was posted several pages ago........

"When you eat good caviar, it's like eating little pearls of ocean that burst in your mouth."

Last edited:
I've had caviar that tasted like it belonged on the end of a fish hook, and then I've had caviar that burst in my mouth like a sweet and salty explosion of wonderful. I like the tiny eggs best. Beluga, unfortunately, is becoming very rare as it's overfished. You're a lucky girl to taste it!

Last edited:
I've had it once and I loved it. I should get some just for me...Shrek will ask why I'm eating bait, again.

PrincessFiona60 said:
I've had it once and I loved it. I should get some just for me...Shrek will ask why I'm eating bait, again.

Only the big eggs can be used for bait. If you get the teeny tiny eggs, you will need very teeny tiny hooks!

OMG. With finely chopped scallions or chives, cream cheese, mebe some sour cream. Caviar on top. Gently place on some good quality crackers.

Last edited:
Wow! I wish I'd been there!:pig::pig::pig:

There coming again in Aug and hopefully staying for a month, her dad is i
going to teach me how to do a traditional Persian kabab (bbq) we have a friend who is going to help us build a brick bbq/pit in his back yard in the country , should be fun, were going to do a goat Persian style, never had goat before I hear it's tasty
Carolynn:chef:

Only the big eggs can be used for bait. If you get the teeny tiny eggs, you will need very teeny tiny hooks!

OMG. With finely chopped scallions or chives, cream cheese, mebe some sour cream. Caviar on top. Gently place on some good quality crackers.

I don't need to be convinced...Shrek, though! So unadventurous. He says he had enough adventure just asking me out.:ROFLMAO:

ewww, I tasted it once and felt like Tom Hanks in the Movie big , I couldn't get it out of my mouth fast enough, Trying to be polite and wanting to throw up was a task but no one new, being close exit to the bathroom helped. And I love anchovies - go figure.

never had goat before I hear it's tasty
Carolynn:chef:
Goat is delicious. You are going to love it.

When I was about 3 years old I am told I ate caviar hand over fist. Then I went through a period where you couldn't give me a million dollars to put that stuff in my mouth. Now I am back to enjoying it. The description of salty with a slight fishy taste is right on.

I love the black--it does burst in your mouth. One of my favorite ways to eat it is folded into whipped cream...or on top of shrimp salad in 1/2 of an avocado...

... it's supposed to be the best caviar in the world...

That's the key words there. Iranian caviar is far inferior compare to Russian. Now, having said that, if you like it, that only means that you would like the real deal is even more.

But speaking of caviar. I was in Costco the other day and saw that they are selling the caviar. Honestly I did not really pay attention on details, i.e. where it’s made, price, etc. But if you like it and you are nearby I recommend checking it.

Also as far as Salmon/red caviar goes, check our Russian stores if you have one near you. Ask for Peter Pan brand, or Haifa Fish, if you can find. Those are two the best brands in America right now.

Back
Top Bottom