"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-07-2011, 11:28 PM   #51
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolynnx View Post
my roommate is from Iran and last year her parents came to visit and they brought me a small jar of beluga sturgeon black caviar, it's from the Caspian sea and apparently it's supposed to be the best caviar in the world, I enjoyed, we had it on very thin wafer crackers I have had others since but honestly nothing even comes close to how good it tasted, it's salty, slightly fishy tasting, not overwhelmingly fishy, but just very good
Welcome to DC carl, and carolyn and thanks for pulling out this very old thread. I wish I could have had the best of the best also. The best description of good caviar was posted several pages ago........

"When you eat good caviar, it's like eating little pearls of ocean that burst in your mouth."

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:35 PM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I've had caviar that tasted like it belonged on the end of a fish hook, and then I've had caviar that burst in my mouth like a sweet and salty explosion of wonderful. I like the tiny eggs best. Beluga, unfortunately, is becoming very rare as it's overfished. You're a lucky girl to taste it!

Old 12-07-2011, 11:37 PM   #53
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I've had it once and I loved it. I should get some just for me...Shrek will ask why I'm eating bait, again.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:46 PM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60
I've had it once and I loved it. I should get some just for me...Shrek will ask why I'm eating bait, again.
Only the big eggs can be used for bait. If you get the teeny tiny eggs, you will need very teeny tiny hooks!

OMG. With finely chopped scallions or chives, cream cheese, mebe some sour cream. Caviar on top. Gently place on some good quality crackers.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:31 AM   #55
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Wow! I wish I'd been there!
There coming again in Aug and hopefully staying for a month, her dad is i
going to teach me how to do a traditional Persian kabab (bbq) we have a friend who is going to help us build a brick bbq/pit in his back yard in the country , should be fun, were going to do a goat Persian style, never had goat before I hear it's tasty
Carolynn
Old 12-08-2011, 08:27 AM   #56
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Only the big eggs can be used for bait. If you get the teeny tiny eggs, you will need very teeny tiny hooks!

OMG. With finely chopped scallions or chives, cream cheese, mebe some sour cream. Caviar on top. Gently place on some good quality crackers.
I don't need to be convinced...Shrek, though! So unadventurous. He says he had enough adventure just asking me out.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:33 AM   #57
Head Chef

ewww, I tasted it once and felt like Tom Hanks in the Movie big , I couldn't get it out of my mouth fast enough, Trying to be polite and wanting to throw up was a task but no one new, being close exit to the bathroom helped. And I love anchovies - go figure.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:11 AM   #58
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
never had goat before I hear it's tasty
Carolynn
Goat is delicious. You are going to love it.

When I was about 3 years old I am told I ate caviar hand over fist. Then I went through a period where you couldn't give me a million dollars to put that stuff in my mouth. Now I am back to enjoying it. The description of salty with a slight fishy taste is right on.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:03 AM   #59
Chef Extraordinaire

I love the black--it does burst in your mouth. One of my favorite ways to eat it is folded into whipped cream...or on top of shrimp salad in 1/2 of an avocado...
Old 12-08-2011, 10:50 AM   #60
Master Chef

Quote:
... it's supposed to be the best caviar in the world...
That's the key words there. Iranian caviar is far inferior compare to Russian. Now, having said that, if you like it, that only means that you would like the real deal is even more.

But speaking of caviar. I was in Costco the other day and saw that they are selling the caviar. Honestly I did not really pay attention on details, i.e. where itís made, price, etc. But if you like it and you are nearby I recommend checking it.

Also as far as Salmon/red caviar goes, check our Russian stores if you have one near you. Ask for Peter Pan brand, or Haifa Fish, if you can find. Those are two the best brands in America right now.