What does one do with Arugula

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trip

Senior Cook
Hi, got an herb starter kit and started everything in it... but don't know what kind of thing one does with Aragula, just one of those things I've never used. is it for meat, pasta, sweets... just curious

trip, i think you have arrugula, aka rocket or roquette.it is a green like spinach or escarole: when fresh it has a nice pepperiness, but it gets bitter more as it ages, or when grown in strong sun.

i just took in a big bag from the garden. going to make a salad with some other mesculun lettuces, goat cheese, sundried tomatoes, dried cranberries, and chopped walnuts.

Last edited:
yup, a spicier lettuce, of the small leaf variety. as opposed to a more bland head type like iceburg.

Hi Trip,
We love arugala salads,but we also like it in paninni sandwiches, it's wonderful with roast beef,blue cheese and the arugala or with chicken and just mayo, arugala, jack cheese tomato and red onion. It is slightly peppery, but not so much to be unpleasant..Hope You'll give it a try.

kadesma:)

kads, i wish i could send you some arrugula from my garden. it is indeed very peppery, almost as if it were sprinkled with fresh cracked black pepper. but it is fresh tasting, not unpleasent as you'd mentioned. the smaller, early leaves are nicer, so i tend to over sow a whole package of seeds, and begin to harvest every other or third plant as it grows a second set of thumb sized leaves.

buckytom said:
kads, i wish i could send you some arrugula from my garden. it is indeed very peppery, almost as if it were sprinkled with fresh cracked black pepper. but it is fresh tasting, not unpleasent as you'd mentioned. the smaller, early leaves are nicer, so i tend to over sow a whole package of seeds, and begin to harvest every other or third plant as it grows a second set of thumb sized leaves.
Thanks for the thought Bucky :) I bought a packet of seeds and I think I'll see what happens with them here. I have a large patch out behind the roses that I want to use so I'm gonna plant some and get my own instead of the store bought..I love the stuff and wish it were more peppery, so maybe I'll get what I want this way..
kadesma:)

Arugula Salad

double hand full of arugula--about 4 cups
salt to taste
couple teaspoons of EVOO
juice of a lemon (to taste)
Parmegion sliced over with a peeler

Toss, Pepper, eat.

Can't get much simpler and is a wonderful salad

Last edited:
Well, their alot more versatile then I had thought, hubby will love the stir fry option. Thanks soooo much. Its nice to know that I'll have a use for it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom